73 620 Disc Brake Swap

Well I'm gonna do it! Gots all the stuff and now I just need to go build a fire in the garage and tear it up!:D

Heres a list of all the stuff I needed to get and prices:

Custom Brackets (Beebani) $120 shipped

92 Nissan D21 4x4 p.u. Calipers $15 a piece from local junk yard (make sure you get the rubber brake lines too.) I opted to get new fully loaded ones from Autozone for $130 for both with the cores I got from jy -$95:eek: (worth the jy trip)

79 280zx Master Cylinder 15/16" bore. $50 Autozone $20 JunkYard

02 Isuzu Rodeo rotors $40 a piece @ Autozone

So with the new parts and brackets plus the jy core calipers I am into this swap $410. Or you can use the jy calipers maybe get jy rotors and do it 4 a lot cheeper(Ratsun-like):fu:

620goodies002.jpg[/img]

More pics on the install to come:D

• Like 2
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the person who is behind these brackets knows his stuff and has done this before and maybe I look like a dick for saying so yada yada but...

I really don't like the lack of meat around the caliper mount holes, shockingly thin for no reason.

• Like 1

Looks good Doug, damn newspaper stuck to the paint (wasn't cured enough I guess) I see. They looked really good before they went in the box.

Yes, these do fit the 521, 520, and 320. They all use the same spindle casting. The only things that change between them is the inner bearings and the 320 has shorter control arms.

There's still plenty of meat around the caliper bolt holes, 3/16" or so. I like to keep the holes a little oversized (John Deere fit) because of the variances in castings. That way it's a one size fits all. I have seen a few differences between calipers over the years, between brands and years.

• Like 1
for the 521?

should be the same ive noticed when it comes to truck companies dont change things very often my buddy has a 66 chevy pickup and the frame and drivetrain are identical to my 56

• Like 1

Got to the swap today. Didnt even have to start a fire!:D I needed to buy bolts to mount the calipers to the brackets. 12 x 33mm x 1.25 The stock ones of the Hardbody were too long. I was able to re-use the stock 620 bolts to mount the brackets to the hub. It all went pretty smooth except for the clip that holds the brake line to the frame would not work so back to the JY to see if the stock Hardbody ones will fit on the 620 frame. Heres the pics:fu:

DiscBrakeSwap007.jpg

DiscBrakeSwap010.jpg

DRUM AND HUB OFF READY TO PULL BRAKE ASSEMBLY

DiscBrakeSwap012.jpg

READY 4 THE BRACKET:D

DiscBrakeSwap014.jpg

BRACKET ON RE-USING STOCK BOLTS

DiscBrakeSwap015.jpg

HUB ON

DiscBrakeSwap016.jpg

OOOHHHH SHINY:D ROTORS ON (TITE FIT ON ONE SIDE AND SLID RITE ON ON OTHER

DiscBrakeSwap018.jpg

BRAKE LINE @ FRAME. STOCK 620 CLIP IS DIFFERENT. COULD GRIND OUT CLIP TO MAKE WORK IF THE D21 CLIP WONT WORK

DiscBrakeSwap019.jpg

D21 BRAKE LINE AND STOCK 620 CLIP DONT MESH

DiscBrakeSwap005.jpg

STOCK D21 BOLT TOO LONG HAD TO BUY NEW ONES 12 X 33MM X 1.25

DiscBrakeSwap006.jpg

ALL BOLTED UP AND PRETTY:D

DiscBrakeSwap003.jpg

NOW THATS MORE LIKE IT:cool:

DiscBrakeSwap004.jpg

So tomoro its off to the JY to get the D21 brake line clips and then bench bleed the Z master cyl. New stock 620 booster and put it all together, bleed and then take for a test drive. One other concern of mine was the stock 620 studs were kind of short cuz I had to use spacers to get my 15" Frontiers away from the Calipers. About a 1/2" of thread. Is this enuff? Should i get longer studs?

Nice work Doug :D

Those old brakes look good... You should send them to me haha :D

They are Brand New Jeffery. If you need them I can bring them to GoldenGardens later this month. I want to keep the drums tho:fu:

haha :D

I did the reverse, now I have drums on my truck :( On top of it they don't work!! :( I don't think the datto ones will fit though :(

Yeah Golden gardens!!! I can't wait!