My new discovery!!

paradoxx

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jus saw the thread thats really cool man i love the video, and its cool to have people from other countrys join us in our datsun loving!!!!!! Awesome car!

Ive been following you guys since 2003, now more active. What I like the most is that you share tips and knowledge without expecting something back. I really appreciate that.

I haven't done anything to the car since the video.......its very rainy down here and the rain doesn't let me work with the fiberglass. I will keep you updated.

Ive been following you guys since 2003, now more active. What I like the most is that you share tips and knowledge without expecting something back. I really appreciate that.

I haven't done anything to the car since the video.......its very rainy down here and the rain doesn't let me work with the fiberglass. I will keep you updated.

RAIN? We get rain. 510freak lives in Port Alberni and he gets over 6 meters of rain thats 20 feet! We have Datsuns and rain in common.

Nice car... I am green.

• 2 months later...

New updates!!

The rainy days are gone, now they are cold but dry, hehe.

I've started to disassemble the fenders, one door and put all the parts together.

The rust treatment has already started today by applying Dual Etch, letting it dry and then the GBP for sealing the metal. After those products I will apply the fiberglass.

Some pics for ya.

dsc02586ri2.jpgdsc02587xo6.jpgdsc02588ib5.jpgdsc02589nw1.jpgdsc02590ku2.jpgdsc02592tj7.jpgdsc02591pm8.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, after working the rust off..........it was time to apply the fiberglass. I still need one more layer and it will be ready. After finishing the floor its time to work on the rear, the trunk sides, etc.

Feel free to comment.

dsc03514kb0.jpg

dsc03515qf6.jpg

dsc03516hb1.jpg

dsc03517ei1.jpg

dsc03518es9.jpg

And a bonus pic.........the chicken ready to pull out and overhaul.

dsc03519im6.jpg

Sure, Its the common fiberglass used to build boats.

2 yards of 1oz fiberglass (enough for the floor)

Purple resin

catalyzer solution

latex gloves

brush

thinner

First, you measure the amount of fiber you need to cover certain area, measure cut and put in place.

Prepare the resin, 1 part of resin and the same part scaled down to the amount of solution. This is because they sell for example 1 gallon of resin and a lil bottle with the catalyzer. I hope you understand me. Mix both and stir until it gets dark, after is darkened you have like 10 minutes to finish the job.

You have to put the right amount of solution, if you use more you'll have like 3 minutes to apply the resin to the fiber and the rest of resin will get hard fast with your brush inside hahaha, if you use less the process of hardening is longer.

Is very easy, cheap, lighter and a good replacement of metal. You can clean the recipient, brush and your hands with the thinner.

Damn!!! I want an SSS 510!!! The floors are rusted out in a strange spot.... My floors were the exact opposite haha

I'm loving all the pics to :D

Do you guys have snow?? maybe, I was thinking, that is because of the salt you use with the snow, but I dunno.

Wow!!

My lady has been convincing me to visit her homeland (Guatemala) and I've been avoiding discussing it.

I told her, if there's Datsun's there I'll go besides more Guatemalan woman :D

I didn't even know Datsun 510 were sold with SSS trims.

Dude, we definitely need to meet up once I get there.

Wow!!

My lady has been convincing me to visit her homeland (Guatemala) and I've been avoiding discussing it.

I told her, if there's Datsun's there I'll go besides more Guatemalan woman :D

I didn't even know Datsun 510 were sold with SSS trims.

Dude, we definitely need to meet up once I get there.

sure we are going to!! from where exactly is she?

Nice car. But from what I have heard using fiberglass for fixing rust is not the best thing. Fiberglass has a tendancy to trap water under it and the rust will continue. In my opnion it is not a decent substitute for just replacing the rust with new metal. I think in the long run it will just have to be done again and again until the whole car is glass. I would like to see some pictures of cars that had floors glassed over like 10 years ago...bet it isn't pretty.

Nice car. But from what I have heard using fiberglass for fixing rust is not the best thing. Fiberglass has a tendancy to trap water under it and the rust will continue. In my opnion it is not a decent substitute for just replacing the rust with new metal. I think in the long run it will just have to be done again and again until the whole car is glass. I would like to see some pictures of cars that had floors glassed over like 10 years ago...bet it isn't pretty.

Well Duke, my daily driver, 510 1969 has the same glass work on the floor, and I did that work around early 1999 and it still working great! and we do have a rainy season here.

Nice project you got there.

After seing this thread, I asked my dad how he used to patch cars back when we used to live in Mexico, since we couldn't really afford a MIG/TIG welder, he says that he used to use oxyacetiline(which isn't really expensive), lots of water to keep the metal cold and lots of hammering too.It would take more time and would be harder but the car would look nice.

I had a 76 Corolla my dad had to use fiberglass on. It was in Iowa and they use a lot of salt there so it was rotting away. He had to fiberglass the drivers side floorboard, the trunk behind the wheel wells, and other areas. Didnt care about welding stuff in since it was a beater car and not worth spending a lot of money on. Did its job, kept water off us while driving in the rain and kept the trunk dry. Fiberglass also helped patch up an old 80 FJ40 Landcruiser, lol. Only thing holding the body on the badly rusted frame was the 2 front mounting bolts.

• 1 year later...

Update on this ol thread.

I'm dumping this car......Ive already pulled out about everything and dump the mmmm chassis? i kept the hood, doors,windows, trunk lid, engine.....everything. I found another one for about $240. the only difference is that this one has only 1 carb, has the old fan and compressor for the A/C, retractable seat belts, both bumpers!, as some of you can remember I don't have the rear bumper, now I do hehe.....and the head rests, but those didn't fit on my actual seats.

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, is in better shape than this one.

Amigo Guatemalteco!!!! Your projects are cool as ice man! I still remember when I lived down there....used to see so many old cool cars and actually had a friend that used to restore old rusty cars to look like new. Paying that little for those 510's is just awesome. Have you ever came across any 210's (120y's) down there? Where in Guatemala are you? I lived in Zona 19 Colonia 1ro de Julio for about 12 yrs. Went back in 1999 for a couple of months and have not been back since. Post pics of your new addition!

• 2 months later...