how to fix a hole in a oil pan?

so ya the engine i jus got had a dented to shit oil pan, i mean pretty bad.. i straighted it out pretty good but theres 2 tiny holes next to each other where it was pinched an tore when i bent it back.. they're pretty small.. is there a ghetto fabulous way of fixing this problem?? i cant offord 70$ for a new oil pan lol

Picture003-5.jpg

Picture004-3.jpg

this is before pics, i forgot to take afters, just imagine it way less dented lol

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I welder would charge like 10 bucks to hit 2 pin holes quick fast

just bring it to him prepped so all he has to do is zap it.

I'm sure someone is thinking/going to say j.b. weld it but I mean really now for what its worth do it right lol.

its 70, if u wanna buy it for me, oh an buy me a TPS while ur at it, thats like 52

on they're page they say if any problems to contact them an they will try to resolve it, plus they have a really good reputation on ebay from what i see, i did indeed research before i bought.. so we'll see what they say, i left an email an pictures

I mean if you don't care, you can take it off spend a good hour slowly banging the dents out. Take it to get zapped and then give it a good coat of paint. Won't look bad and it will work just as well as it did before.... $15 solution.

2nd that. Jeez, that's bad damage. And if your pickup tube seal to the block is compromised...like a straw with a hole in it, doesn't suck up anything.

As far as the oil pan welding goes, it's going to need to be steam cleaned before a welder will touch it. You can't weld oil. I suggest finding a place with a hot tank, doing that, then having it welded up, which is still going to cost you around $30 if you have good report or show you have 0 dollars.

I would think the pans already been off or how could he bang out the dents?

A steam or hot tank would be lovely too but saying no welder would touch it otherwise is a bit much no? ESP at a exhaust shop lol.

Sand the area down to bare clean metal and hit it with a real degreaser......

Edited by 72240z

the pan was damaged from the wooden crate it came on, it was pretty obvious, yes i have had the pan off, how else could i bang the dents out? the first thing i checked was the oil pick up tube.. it looks fine.. i will double check it, its different from a sr20de one but they may still inter change.. an i have a few spares of those, SR20DE oil pans do not fit SR20VE engines :( other wise i would just swap those

Did I call that or did I call that? lol

indeed you did, an honestly thats the first thing that popped into my mind.. but for some reason i can never bring myself to use that stuff..

i called a guy from the sr20-forum who deals these engines an works on them alot ect. he said as long as i un dented the oil pan everything should be fine, i guess its really common because they ship these motors in containers stacked on top of eachother.. :( i got a buddy whos going to take a wire wheel to the inside of the pan an get all the loose paint chips off an he's going to degrease / clean it real nice an then weld her shut for me :)

2eDeYe;134726'']Yeah, but you can weld right through it in a pinch ;)

My point was no welder worth his stick would attempt to weld something that has been impregnated with oil. Cleanliness is absolutely essential for a good weld. Degreaser would probably work too, but having oil around allows the heat to go every which way, not on the surface needing repair. For instance, when you fix a Datsun trans tailshaft some jackass has dropped, you drain it, flip it on end, and go nuts with brake clean and every other oil cutting chemical you can possibly find just to get a good weld.

Go to walmart and get a gallon jug of Superclean for $5 and soak the whole pan in it for 1-2 hours. Grab a brass bristle brush and scrub any crusties off. Superclean will strip the paint completely if you leave it long enough (might take over night, but it will work). Then hose it off, wipe it dry, and then it will be ready to weld. You shouldn't need any hard abrasives...they'll just mar the surface and make it look worse.