how to fix a hole in a oil pan?

mike, the baffel sits flush with this metal sheet thing and i looked at it and felt it, if it were bent it would be noticable by feel would it not? i mean it would either get thinner in one spot an wider, like a pinched tube but it feels perfectly round, BUT i will take it off an take a pic ok? :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, it doesn't look right to me. Looks like it should be bent downward some...

Picture012-1.jpg

...and here you can see a kink starting near the socket, no way would Nissan make it like that. Also the mushroom shape end looks bent again I don't think Nissan would have made it look like this. Maybe I'm just picky but I sold my old 340 motor to a friend who rebuilt it. I had taken it apart but left the oil pick up on the block. Likely it fell over and bent it up. It was rebuilt but the lifters clicked bad and the oil pressure was low. Lasted a week and threw a rod through the block. My friend wasn't happy with the builder and neither was the builder. I figured it out months later that a bent oil pick up was likely the cause.

Picture022-1.jpg

Measure the depth of the oil pan... compare to the pick up, it should be down close to the bottom. I'm just worried about it.

Here's my truck one. I know they are totally different but the pipe is round and the end sits in the bottom and is horizontal to it.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/720stuffZ24swap007Large.jpg[/img]"]720stuffZ24swap007Large.jpg

Edited by datzenmike

I agree with Mike. Every Nissan one I have seen was mandrel and doesn't have a choke point like that. You could bold it on tight and CAREFULLY pull it down a little bit by hand.

Even if that is stock though since the pan has been taken off anyway I would sort that choke point at the bend out. You plan to run a revy motor no doubt at higher rpms. Oil volume is paramount.

To check the clearance to the pan you can set a wad of silly putty or similar on the end of the pick up and just press the pan on and take it off, then you know the gap.

new!!! throw that one out! :thumbdown:

Also the mushroom shape end looks bent

Lasted a week and threw a rod through the block. My friend wasn't happy with the builder and neither was the builder. I figured it out months later that a bent oil pick up was likely the cause.

Here I made this while waiting for my pizza bites lol.

comp2.jpg

I would at the very least try to straighten out that neck and while at it open the mouth up a little bit. You can see how even Nissan improved on its design for better flow. The pics are off nico.

ooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk sooooo

just to prevent datzenmike from havin a heart attack i decided to buy a new oil pickup tube and gasket. :lol::fu:

and just to spite those stupid mother fuckers on the sr20 forums im gonna reuse the oil pan any fuckin way... its not the first oil pan i've had to beat straight an i know im not the only person whos had to doit... i mean its a fucking pan, if it is in the general shape it needs to be and it holds fluid whats the big deal? lol

kick ass sea bass, i got my oil pick up tube!! hellz ya!! looks a bit more stout then the other one, plus its got that extra thing on it.. the new one is also longer... hopefully it all fits an doesnt hit the pan now lol

Picture027.jpg

Picture026-1.jpg

Picture025.jpg

glad i listend to datzenmike an the rest of yall.. it would of sucked to fuck up my new engine.. i will take more pics with it bolted in