My new 620 project

Dat620guy

Hello everyone, my name is kevin and i've been a member to ratsun for a week or so now. I find everyones projects inspiring, that i've looked at on here. I can't wait to get mine going.

With that said, i'm not totally new to datsuns, but i'm always looking for info on them. I just scored a real nice 78 620 standard cab short box. the body is in great shape, almost no rust. It had nice paint till someone decided they wanted it primer gray with a black stripe. The reason I know the paint was nice is the guy who originally fixed this truck up was a datsun enthusiast.

It has an L20 w/ a W53 head, a bigger cam (not sure of type), Header, a Weber Redline carb, a no emissions intake manifold, and a 5speed tranny.

I can't wait to get started on this baby. Here are a few pics i have right now from today when i got her home.datsun620.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just did the rear brakes on her. The wheel cylinders were seized up and leaking fluid. I also had to buy a new brake adjuster for the driver side, the one on there fell apart. The only one I could find on short notice was in Beaverton, OR at Nissan. So a small trip to Nissan and $47.00 later, shes back on the road. The next thing is figuring out why my charge light comes on when the lights, blower fan, turn signals, and/or brakes are pushed in. I took the alternator and had it checked, it was all good. So the next step is going through the ground wires.

datsunbrakejob2.jpg

datsunbrakejob.jpg

Cool little center gauge cluster block off panel thingy. I like being able to see what my engine is doing a lot! I need to build a similar thing in my 521.

Really great start man...looks really cool with the stripe:D

hey nice truck. I seen that truck up for sell on craigslist for a while and was gonna take a look at it.

welcome

Thank you. I seen it ten minutes after it was posted and realized that was the truck i looked at 4 or 5 months ago. Back then the kid wouldn't come down under 1400 on it. This time he took a 1000 for it.

Wow, looks like a nice rust free little truck. Should be a fun project! :cool::cool::cool: E

Thank you. It is mostly rust free, just some surface rust here and there. The only hole i found was a silver dollar sized one on the floor at the back of the cab by the drive shaft tunnel. Easy fix.

Cool little center gauge cluster block off panel thingy. I like being able to see what my engine is doing a lot! I need to build a similar thing in my 521.

Really great start man...looks really cool with the stripe:D

Thank you. The center gauge cluster set up is really cool I thought. It was there when I got it. Now I need gauges for it. Haha. The stripe is cool but I plan on doing something else down the road. Not sure what yet.

Good Find. Saw it on craigs last week. Good luck with build

Larry

Thank you. I can't wait to get started.

2eDeYe;127540']Nice clean rig :cool:

Your voltage regulator is most likely the culprit if the grounds are ok ;)

Thank you. Looking at some of the ground wires today' date=' I noticed some looked corroded. i'll be fixing those and others I find. Plus i'll just pick up a new voltage regulator just to be safe.

I also seen that truck on the list. I thought it was pretty cool looking but it looks even cooler in your pics. Looks like a nice clean interior. What r yer plans 4 it?

Thank you. I was looking for a king cab 620 but I loved this truck so much I decided to buy it and build this instead. I'll get a king cab down the road. As for my plans, i'm unsure about major things right now. I'm just trying to get it dialed in right now. I've got to do the front brakes next, adjust the valves ( they are ticking right now), oil change, tune up, wheels and tires, fix a little rust spot, and the list keeps growing. Haha, but I love it.:D

Thank you. I found out this truck was a ratsun members truck a few years ago. There is a pic of it in the (pictures of your truck) section. It is blue with a black hood. It's in a parking garage backed in with the headlights on. I forget his screen name. I'll post it later today. He was a NWDA member to I belive. If you know him I'd like to talk to him about the truck.

nice, cool factory tach also. slamm it already. welcome to ratsun.

Thank you. I'm glad it had the tach so I didn't have to hunt one down. Plus she will be lowered more when I get wheels that won't rub on it.

what is with the wheels? Look like you have one missmatch in back. the parking garage pics shows the driver's side as having the same style.

Are there a set of 3 and then 1?

The kid I got the truck put those wheels on the back because a tire on the other rims had a hole. He was lazy about getting it fixed. I have all the wheels like whats on the front. One just needs a new tire.

Isn't that Dislexic old truck? Cool truck either way

The guys user name that owned it is Charboucher. The last post he had on here was in 2007. So I don't know where he is. I would like to meet him and talk about the truck.

Today I put a new steering wheel on my truck, I got from 78kingcab. Thanks for the part. I also got some pathfinder wheels from him as well.

Datsunnewsteeringwheel.jpgDatsunnewwheelsandsteeringwheel.jpg

Also picked up an uncut shifter. mine is cut and has no threads, so I can't put a normal shift knob on. I plan on cutting around 3 or 4 inches off this one and welding the threads back on.

Datsunnewshifter.jpg

I did buy a valve cover, wiper arms, a side marker light housing, and some gauges from ricky116.