SSS su's vs weber 38dgev?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure a Wideband Air Fuel Ratio Meter and/or ColorTune would be da bomb, but I should be able to dial in pretty close with my Uni-Syn
Usy-nin is just for balancing? If the carbs aren't tuned for the engine in the first place, they probably run OK, but will make more fuel economy or more power (or both) if tuned for new type of engine. Edited by ggzilla
My understanding from the guru's is that almost nothing is interchangeable between the British SU's and Japanese Hitachi's other than the jets.

Trivia fact: SU were named for Skinners Union, the company that produced them.

You can use the dome springs, just make sure the rates are the same (between the pair of springs)

A wide band is certainly a wonderful tool to have, but you can also pick up the colortune for about 80 bucks, and the airflow meter for about 45 (yes, the good German ones!) So relatively cheap, although I haven't priced wideband 02 setups lately.

Or you can roughly guess and do it by sparkplug color. I'm tuning mine with just balancing with the airflow meter at current and counting turns on the adjustment knobs. It's close to perfect, but the other tuning tools would definitely aid.

Guest jaimesix
I asked a similar question on the Bluebirds mailing list, i.e. keep the Weber 32/36 or switch to SU's on my L20b. It was nearly unanimous: the Weber is a great carb, but the SU's are better for mileage and performance. Once dialed in, you rarely touch 'em outside of checking/changing the damper oil....

Take into account the fact the 38 DGES syncroneous is not a 32/36 progressive.

Many , and I should say most people know the 32/36 Weber, but are not familiar with the 38 DGES.

Take into account the fact the 38 DGES syncroneous is not a 32/36 progressive.

Many , and I should say most people know the 32/36 Weber, but are not familiar with the 38 DGES.

This is very good advice. The 38 and 40 DGES are not as easy to tune as a 32/36

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I decided that im not going to use the sss su's or the 38 weber so if anybody wants to buy them let me know. what im going to use are a set of 44 mikunis and matching intake that i have i think that would be better than the others.

Update?

Did you try... and or sell the 38....?

Personally he should have tried them out just to see what the power difference would be between the 2.

Im sure the 38/38 would be good. its new

the SUs might be better for power but are 40years old(mean could be JUNK!!!!)

then goes to 44mm Mikunis.

I thought he want ed ease of maint.

all are good when new.

but the 38/38 would be the EZist to maintain. But I have had good relaibility issues with my Mikunis!

I like my 38/38 on my 521.

Personally he should have tried them out just to see what the power difference would be between the 2.

Im sure the 38/38 would be good. its new

the SUs might be better for power but are 40years old(mean could be JUNK!!!!)

then goes to 44mm Mikunis.

I thought he want ed ease of maint.

all are good when new.

but the 38/38 would be the EZist to maintain. But I have had good relaibility issues with my Mikunis!

I like my 38/38 on my 521.

Been looking for a 38.

DGAS...with electric choke.

'Best' price I could find is....$360, taxes included, delivered.

I believe from Bigjim (Hilton)/ Overseas Auto/Vancouver,B.C.

http://www.weberjets.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4

Ya.....I believe Merlin is planning on EFI SUs.

www.pattonmachine.com

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded#!

The link broke, but I just bought some steel fuel injector bungs and plan on running two large injectors. When I get the cash I'll buy megasquirt and get that all sorted. Cost me 30 bucks for the bungs and with injectors should run about 130 for both carbs.

The link broke, but I just bought some steel fuel injector bungs and plan on running two large injectors. When I get the cash I'll buy megasquirt and get that all sorted. Cost me 30 bucks for the bungs and with injectors should run about 130 for both carbs.

Ya...I fix :D