my new 72!

sdsurf

how muh is this rebuild costing so far?

I have an L16 in the garage that i would toss in another car if i found one.

All the machine work (rebuilt head, bored block .040, new pistons, rings, freeze plugs, gasket set) $700

timing kit, plugs, wires, points, rotor, cap, water pump: $170

other: $50

That is about it for now...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got some things done:

Removed bent steering center link and replaced with new tie rod ends

put front drums on after painting them

put one wheel on will new lug nuts.

proceeded to roll around in grease I just removed from the steering links.

engine bay just about ready to accept the big bad L20b...

More cleaning this week then vroom vroom

got the engine mount, bolts tightened down, radiator in, started hooked up..

baby steps!!

I must say the motor mounts were a bitch. Had to get bolts in on one side then force the other side to compress the mount and get those bolts in. Wasn't as easy as the last time but they are in!

engine_in-2.jpg

engine_in-3.jpg

engine_in-4.jpg

Man this is one sweet ride, and with you restoring it back to original, makes it even better, just love how clean it is looking, sure hope when i get to mine that i can make it look this clean. with the motor work,,what do you think the specs. on it will be??? hp? torque??. keep up the fantastic work and feed us with lots of pictures.:lol::lol::lol:

got the new gasket in. A little difficult but not really that big of deal. Got the upper and lower hoses on. filled it up with oil and turn her over!! So I am getting closer. Problem: I cranked her over a few times and got no fuel out of the lines. I fed a hose into a gas can instead of from the tank and again no fuel. I think the pump may be bad. But I also got the carb in. If all goes well I may try to fire her up on sunday!

Mike on the fuel pump...remove it from the block & hand crank it a few times & you should see the gas being sucked into the fuel filter. That way you'll see if it's working right.

thanks mark... I'll try that today!

Thanks mark for the heads up. The fuel pump was bad but I had a spare. I want to run an original Nikki but this one will suffice for now. Got her to fire briefly but I have an issue with the water pump and surrounding hoses. When I put the new water pump on, I sheared the long bolt that comes with it. I continued with the install with fingers crossed but as we all know I now have a problem so I am going to have to pull the pump. Oh well... Once I get that sorted out I will get the radiator filled up and fire her up again. I need to get the throttle cable hooked up and the electric choke but I think all in all it should be fine. Definitely ready for the SWDP bbq and hopefull the next inland valley show or one of the SD thursday night shows.

Wish me luck

I can't wait to your 6'5" ass in that truck :lol:

hey now im 6-8 and i drive my 521 daily......although i get the same question everytime i get out..."how do you fit in there..." same answer every time, I fit cause I love datsuns...and nothing will keep me from my loves....:o

She's alive!!!! I got her to run today but I couldn't find the spot in the timing for idle. I don't have a timing light here but I will get one to set her up right. Seems like the electric choke is not engaging although it may not be getting warm enough yet. I will have to get her good and warmed up when I next mess with it. The good thing is it looks like I am getting pressure because the light is going off. I don't really want to hook up a gauge because I want to keep the interior stock looking.

But mainly SHE RUNS!!!!

next up clutch and then maybe a little spin around the block.

Oh yeah one caveat: she is running off a gas can not the stock tank so I may have a problem there...

• 2 weeks later...

I took the gas line off the fuel tank and blew her out (she liked it) and now she runs off the tank! Took the rear wheels off and cleaned/degreases the pumpkin and surrounding areas. Tried to take the rear drums off, what a bitch, any suggestions? Got her running pretty good but now the diesels like a SOB and I got that issue. My clutch master shipped so maybe, just maybe I can make it on saturday!!! It will be brakes that hole me back now...