sdsurf

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today was a good day. Got the exhaust flange gasket so I could get everything back in running order. Kragen had it in stock!!! So then I tackled the steering. I got the column and box back in without much effort but then I had to figure out where the center was to attach the drag link. After a little trial and error I think I got it. When I take it to get aligned and dialed in, i'll let them get it tight. So I am back on the road. Not sure what is next as I have to move at the end of december but I may tackle rebuilding the stock Hitachi. I have been debating trying out a rebuilt Hitachi vs. weber and see what I like better...

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, update: I have been having a tell of a time trying to get my weber dialed in. I had been contemplating sh canning it and going back to the hitachi (this truck is going to be stock anyway). I had an old Hitachi that I had no idea the condition of so i just through it on. Guess what? It runs and IDLES!!! Freaking hilarious. So now I am going to rebuild the Hitachi after I move. One thing, the float seems a little high. What is the best way to go about adjustment? When it idles the gas is all the way to the top of the glass. Is there a mark I should see to set it to?

Awesome pictures of your Dad's truck back in 71, I don't know if you remember John Hadl, He used to be the Chargers Quarterback he used to do a TV commercial for Pacific Datsun. My mom bought her truck in 72 from Surfside Datsun in Oceanside, I have some pictures of it back then, I'll have to go through my box's in storage to see if I can find them.

Awesome pictures of your Dad's truck back in 71, I don't know if you remember John Hadl, He used to be the Chargers Quarterback he used to do a TV commercial for Pacific Datsun. My mom bought her truck in 72 from Surfside Datsun in Oceanside, I have some pictures of it back then, I'll have to go through my box's in storage to see if I can find them.

I don't remember John Hadl personally but I do know the history of the chargers and know he was here...

Ok so on my way back from JCCS my truck was overheating a bit but I didn't think anything of it. Well now it looks like I have water in the oil. It is a choclate brown color and thin...

woohoo!! another engine build !! whatcha gonna do this time??

i gotta pull mine too... getting a rod knock.

• 2 months later...

Long time no post! Well seems as though the water in oil was solved with a retorque of the head bolts. Also got my hitachi carb rebuilt and it is running very well!!! Now I need to get it all fine tuned and aligned then I will be good for a bit..

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Relocated my family to Carlsbad to be closer to work and well frankly because I love SD more than I could ever love LA. Datsun is still at my inlaws but I hope to get it this week. After that I am going to get back on it. I want to take it to a good mechanic to get it totally dialed in so I have a good starting point. Anyone know of one in north county SD? after that it needs an alignment bad then I think i need to do a wheel cylinder again. Moving bites because I have to get my garage dialed again...