my new 72!

sdsurf

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today was a big day! I got the brakes bled and they work (sketchy at best) but the important thing is I drove her around the block!!! Haven't driven a datsun in 17 yrs and finally I got her going. Such a nice feeling. Now I have a ton of odds and ends to take care of before the Bar-b-que...

Ahhh the sweet smell of success (exhaust:D:D)

• 2 weeks later...

ok here is the latest. Been having some brake issues but I got it all bled and was able to drive it so in "kinda" stopped. Well fater it sat overnight I discovered the 2' diameter pool of brake fluid below the right rear wheel. Soooo I have decided to pull all the drums, shoes and wheel cylinders and do a thorough cleaning. I am going to get the drums turned, get new pads and clean the wheel cylinders. Thanks to my old truck I chopped up and Ryan (Bacardi) I now have a plethora of wheel cylinders to choose from. So after already buying a M/C, my brakes should be dialed in.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest: Got the old shoes and wheel cylinders off the rear. Removed the hard lines for cleaning and paint. Sat under the truck for a couple of hours and cleaned, cleaned, cleaned. (btw, simple green and eyeballs don't mix) Painted the backing plates and am now ready for reinstall.

Turns out I don't have to get new shoes. One set of the canibalized front and one set of the canibalized rear shoes were almost brand new, WOO HOO!

Well I took the rear brakes apart about a week ago. Once I had everything off from under the bed I decided to clean. This led to removing the brake lines off the axle and painting. One after another after another. Well I got one side of the rear brakes put back together. Cleaned the crap out of everything including taking apart an unknown good or bad wheel cylinder, cleaning and reassembling. After all of this I got one side done. Putting those shoes on is a bitch!

passrearbrake.jpg

Got some good wrenching in tonight. Finished up the rear brakes insluding removal and painting of hard lines. Also, got the gastank in with brackets removed and undercoated. I am getting stoked!!!!

gastank1.jpg

Note the little boo boo scrape I need to fix

gastank_rear.jpg

rearaxleleft.jpg

rearaxleright.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got a ton done today!!! First I got the front brakes taken apart, cleaned, inspected wheel cylinders, painted and put back together. Had new shoes so those are on all 4 wheels. Let me tell you getting the drums on with new shoes isn't the easiest thing in the world. Next I got all the line and hoses hooked up to the freshly cleaned tank. Started her up and let it run for about 10-15 min on it's own tank. All seems good.

Bled the brakes three times to be extra sure all of the air is out and now I have a great pedal!!! Not quite what I am used to in modern power brakes but it is good, hard and doesn't hit the floor. I am going to wait til tomorrow to make sure there isn't a mystery puddle under any of the wheels before I put the rims back on. Cross my fingers that I chose cylinders out of my stock pile that work!!!

On question - The brake feels like it engages about 1/3 down and then I can't push beyond 2/3. Is this typical?

Next will be an alignment and then minor stuff before she is road worthy. Then JCCS!!!

On question - The brake feels like it engages about 1/3 down and then I can't push beyond 2/3. Is this typical?

I think its typical. If you pull the hand brake a certain amount does it feel better. If yes then tighten up the brakes some more.

What really helped me was a new master cylinder then adjust the brakes again. On my 521

Yeah I did replace the M/C. Basically except for the lines if is a totally new/refurbished braking system. The E-brake is nice and tight and because of the new shoes I have no adjustment to loosen the shoes. They are tight!

gastank1.jpg

Im looking at your pic and for a second I was wondering what the hell is that big ass black thing hanging down on the left side before the axel...LOL its your gas tank. I have nver had a stock tank in my truck so I didnt know thats where it was located. I have exhaust there.

Drove around a little today, brakes are sound!!! Need to fill the tranny with fluid and then off to get it aligned. Had a bit of a problem with the temp today, thing shot up to hot (didn't help that it was over 100 outside). Realized the radiator was almost a gallon dry. Definitely going to have to keep an eye on that.

Suspension here I come!!

Latest update!

Drove her to the alignment shop and found out she must have been in an accident (minor) at some point but the steering box needs replacement. I have 2 others so it is just a matter of doing it. But I did get the major exhaust cut welded up and a small hole I didn't know about taken care of as well. She is quiet now. Also drove on the freeway at 70mph! Ahh nothing like being in a tiny datsun next to a big rig :D

Not sure if I am going to bust on the steering box before JCCS or not. We;ll see.

• 3 weeks later...

So I think I mentioned a while back I was going to need a new steering box. Well turns out it was worse than I thought. So my alignment guy told me to replace it because he thought it had been hit and twisted the spline.

twistedspline.jpg

So I took it out and the first thing that happened was the bearing was disintegrated

bearing.jpg

The box was a little funky too

oldsteeringbox.jpg

Fortunately I had a new Steering box and column.

newsteeringbox.jpg

New column on right

steeringcolumns.jpg

Mounting location cleaned up

steeringout.jpg

Interior sans steering wheel

nowheel.jpg

new column to be painted and possibly mount on the frame as well. While I was at it I took out the rubber "curtain" over the front suspension to make a template for a new piece.