Lost in the 70's

A couple weeks ago, I spent a couple nights and days in CCU in St Johns Hospital in Longview, WA. In fact, I was released the afternoon of phatdave's stroke! As that erstwhile young man can verify, coronary care medical personnel have a phobia about their patients closing their eyes, so I was awake a lot....gave me a bunch of thinking/reminiscing time. Got to thinking about good times and small trucks....

The 70's....mini skirts, muscle cars, V-dubs, and mini trucks.... Oh, the mini skirts!!!

I was in the Navy stationed in San Diego from 74 to mid 77. I had just traded my 72 Toyota Hilux pickup in on a 74 Toyota longbed. There wasn't anything wrong with the 72. I had bought it new in Rhode Island and drove the p-water out of it, including cross country to San Diego, with nary a problem. The 74 was "newer" and I was single, and on shore duty....so, why not? Besides, it was red with white spoke wheels- E70 x 14 front, G60 x 14 rear, not unusual for the time and area. So I flat blacked the hood, painted the wheels a metallic charcoal, and found a pair of Austin America buckets to replace the stock bench seat. Great comfort, especially with the larger cab of the 74. Since I did quite a bit of long distance driving, it also got an auxiliary gas tank.

There wasn't much available for the small trucks performance wise. The Datsuns benefitted from the racing success of the BRE 510's, but the poor Toyotas, Luvs, and Couriers were left in the cold. I really liked the Toyota's 2 liter 18RC engine, so it got an Offy Dual Port intake manifold, header, advanced timing (just a few degrees), and a Holley "Bug Spray" carburetor with a K&N filter. High performance all the way! I probably picked up 10 or 12 hp. But it was good enough to move the truck out smartly, and could "chirp" the G60's in all 4 gears on the El Cajon on ramp to the freeway. I also took it out to a deserted stretch of road in the Anzo Borrego area and took it to 6000 rpm in 4th gear, before backing off....that's the p in mph on the bottom of the speedometer. I figure I was somewhere around 110+, What a rush!!!

When I had been on the East Coast, small trucks were the exception in the early 70's, not many around. So, the San Diego area was, to me, a mecca for the small trucks. So many, and, being California, so many modified ones! The Datsun 620 had only been out a couple years, but the aftermarket was already geared towards them....spoilers, canopies, rolled pans, flares were all readily available, and the rectangular headlights in a square tube grill, oh my! Slotted mags, turbines, white spoke wheels were pretty much the available wheel options for the Datsuns. The Toyotas could use anything that would fit a Mustang, but there just weren't many people doing Toyotas.

The clubs were starting to become more prominent in the San Diego area, but I really wasn't into that part of mini truckin'. I was approached a few times, but declined....too many other things going on for a 25 year old single sailor. Besides, I had found a straight 67 Datsun 520, and was gathering parts for a Buick V-6/Muncie 4 speed swap. (For the record, I did eventually complete it 6 years later, after towing it, behind my Toyota, from San Diego, to Houston, to the Portland/Vancouver area.)

It was a fun time, with fun trucks, in a fun area. The gas was cheap, the weather outstanding, and the people laid back. And, oh! those mini skirts!!! I remember those years well, and long for a return to them.

Anyone else with a "senior discount" to the past? Steroid is the resident historian around here, but I know there are others who can still remember....what was happening in other areas at that time?

peace,

Crabby

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kool story. I was a kiddo in the 70's & born & raised here in san diego.

The clubs were starting to become more prominent in the San Diego area, but I really wasn't into that part of mini truckin'. I was approached a few times, but declined....

Off hand do you remember the names of the clubs from back then & where were the hang out spots?

good to hear u r ok, i too am interested in the mini truck club names..i on the other hand took the round about way of gettin into mini truckin, i started out in full size custom vans and trucks then evolved into mini truckin, i sure do miss the old times also, but alas they r gone except for the sweet memories we have tucked away in our heads..:D back then mini's and full size trucks and vans all cruised together at hang outs and shows, and the runs , ah yes the 3 day truck runs,such good ole memories..:D thx for the flashback.. :D

Okay speakin of ole phatdave....

I was a VW bug guy. So heres one, did you know:

If you get 4 teenegers,it must be 2 of each sex of course and go down the highway at top speed you can raise the RPM's and get more top speed if all said riders simultaineously bounce UP AND DOWN repeatedly? It has be be AT THE SAME TIME!!!..and some good old Mexican dirt weed helps. :blink:

St. johns :eek: glad to see you made it out a live:lol: I live in longview and that hospital sucks. But hey your okay.to bad i was too young for the 70's but lived up the 80's for all it was worth.We had a mini truck club back it the 80's laid low out of spokane.

thak care

Thanks for the comments on my ramblings, and the concerns about my little vacation.

I never pursued the club scene, so any names I might have heard are long lost memories. And there were a lot of those VW types back then "floating" through life..lol But we were all doing our thing, and generally life was comfortably laid back. And those mini skirts! I really liked the San Diego area, but haven't been back there in 30+ years. Will have to add it to my "bucket list".

Going in for an echocardiogram (sp?) tomorrow, after I see another vampire to get some more blood drawn....been gettin' poked twice a week for the last 2 weeks, going down to once a week next week. Look like a Skid Row junkie, with all the needle tracks! Leak when I drink...sorry Phleb, nothing personal. :) Should have an action plan soon.

Reminiscing doesn't have to go way back....mini trucking, as a social activity, really only goes back 30-35 years. Lots of trends have come and gone during that time. Share gentlemen, and ladies, your thoughts, comments and experiences....

g' nite guys,

Crabby

• 3 months later...

This .... is a mini skirt:

93S0050_05_b.jpg

It was worn off the narrow part of the waist and not off the widest part of the hips. like this:

641584otddyef9sw.jpg

Technically these are 'mini skirts' but not '60s and '70s style. These are way sluttier..... (not that there's any thing wrong with that)

One thing... mini skirt and pantyhose.... which came first? Well the pantyhose was invented in '59 but the arrival of the mini skirt in the mid '60s created the demand for them. Either one called for the use of the other. I still remember catching the rare glimpse of a girls garter or stocking top in high school as the hem lines became higher and higher. By the end of high school they were mostly gone... replaced by seamless pantyhose. (sigh)

BTW Nothing, but nothing beats a chick with great legs in a pair of tight bell bottom jeans.

AAAAAhnjYK0AAAAAAPHq-g.jpg?v=1208310188000

Edited by datzenmike

Hey Crabbyone,

I just read this so sorry for the delay. I grew up in Escondido with family in Lakeside. I have been all over the San Diego area from 1956 through about 1979.......... fewer trips then. Anyway, I only remember two clubs in San Diego. There was SDSM San Diego Small Trucks and the club I joined, Dead End Kids. Later a few more popped up but during the time You were there, those actually should be the only two clubs around. The notable trucks had paint work done by Mark Lueke in Santee. There was an awesome blue 620 that made Truckin' that He did. I remember a few others but have, unfortunently, few photos. Also, there was a Mazda called "Underdog" with the cartoon characture on it that Mark did. You might remember those. In Oceanside was a pretty nice red Chevy Luv that had a wooden built camper shell that he covered totally with individual pieces (hundreds!!) of bamboo. That truck was always somewhere at the beach. I am thinking that He had the hubs drilled and it ran 5 lug Cragars. Lots of the San Diego trucks had the common aluminum Perris Valley camper shells. Just like the orange truck that used to be on David Murphy's website. Also lots of white spoke rims.

Hope the brings back a few memories. take care, Mike

This .... is a mini skirt:

93S0050_05_b.jpg

It was worn off the narrow part of the waist and not off the widest part of the hips. like this:

641584otddyef9sw.jpg

Technically these are 'mini skirts' but not '60s and '70s style. These are way sluttier..... (not that there's any thing wrong with that)

One thing... mini skirt and pantyhose.... which came first? Well the pantyhose was invented in '59 but the arrival of the mini skirt in the mid '60s created the demand for them. Either one called for the use of the other. I still remember catching the rare glimpse of a girls garter or stocking top in high school as the hem lines became higher and higher. By the end of high school they were mostly gone... replaced by seamless pantyhose. (sigh)

BTW Nothing, but nothing beats a chick with great legs in a pair of tight bell bottom jeans.

AAAAAhnjYK0AAAAAAPHq-g.jpg?v=1208310188000

This man is a neverending gas tank of knowledge!!

• 1 month later...

My buddy had a chop top 74 620 that Mark painted. It was bright yellow with asymetrical stripes in candy blue and red (I think). Engine was done by Clark Steppler and was at least bored and stroked to the 2400 range. I still remember that blue Mazda that faded in a series of 1-1/2" stripes. Dead straight lines with no evidence of a tape line or imperfection. Mark could sure paint...