rhd?

tdaaj

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not RHD. Just mirrored pics, but he made a point of mirroring all 4 pics. There are enough clues to see that- no "right side" gas door, the datsun emblems are all backwards (perfect mirror image, not "installed upside down"), the antenna is on the wrong side (though it's actually not installed properly at all, it's on the fender), US side markers, US EGR "lump" on the dash.

Also he's isn't advertising it as RHD. If it was, he'd make it very clear in the ad instead of just having backwards pics. Notice the lack of rear-facing pics. That's got to be intentional.

I wanted to take a minute and touch on this...................

On a RHD, the wipers are REVERSED also.

When I got all of the RHD parts from Japan, I almost totally blew it and forgot the cowl. A LHD cowl would never have worked as the wipers are also on the right side on a RHD truck. I did get it though as well as the RHD wiper motor and linkage. So even if that picture is "mirrored", don't be fooled as it is actually correct on wiper placement on a RHD. Look at some of the Japanese photos We have closely, it's all on the other side. If You loo closely on Your inner upper firewall, on ANY 620 truck, You will notice the same "area" where the wiper posts would come out on a RHD truck. Look closely where Your wiper posts come out. There is the larger post hole and the 3 bolt holes pressed at the factory for placement. Now look closely... see that SAME "triangulated" area two other places on Your upper firewall? If the holes were pressed there, it would have been correct for a RHD. This leads Me to assume that Datsun planned ahead for a upper firewall to be common to either LHD or RHD. All that needed to be different was where a few holes were stamped. When I do My RHD conversion, all I have to do to correctly move My wipers to the other side is to drill out the 3 small bolt holes and the post center hole and install the Japanese RHD linkage.

I have started this week on My RHD 620 project. Should I start another thread on it or just add on here?

What I have found so far............ There are identical "pressings" and bolt areas on the LHD trucks that will, I think, make the switch a pretty easy job. One thing that I found is that the steering column retainer which doubles also as the clutch and brake pedal mounts are removable. They bolt to the firewall. Mark knew about this but I had never removed one before. Out came the dash first, then the heater and finally that retainer. When the front of the cab was gutted, I noticed THANKFULLY that I think the change can be done without removing the windshield from the inner cowl/front of cab. The crazy thing that I noticed is that there is a bolt (actually two) upside down on the inner cowl which look to be in the exact location on the left and right side. On a LHD truck, the left side bolts the steering retainer to the cowl and the right side is simply the rear bracket for the plastic shelf. If that bolt is in the same location, then I can easily line up the RHD retainer after changing out the firewall!! Speaking of the firewall....... It looks like I simply have to cut out the LHD one and trim away the cowling from the RHD one and press it in from the inside of the cab!! It appears that there are just spot welds on both so I am hoping that half a day or so should have Me ready to install. Then have small welds done here and there and re-apply seam sealer like NOS. Also, I have left the seat in the truck so if the firewall can be placed from the inside, then "foot pressure" can be done to press it in!! Wish Me luck!!

• 2 weeks later...