Guys...some help

I need to come up with a Science Project. I'm asking for some ideas. Anything will help car related or not. I have one. And if a idea comes up ill be sure to have Ratsuns logo on it. Please guys a little help. Its not due for a while but I'd like to get input on something. I want to do something with intake this year or something else. Please all ideas are more than welcomed.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, seeing that im a chemistry major and an Explosives expert (per my job on the bomb squad) I think you should do the explosive properties of household goods and what the the government is doing to crack down on domestic terrorism!... or you could always do something with flux capacitors.

what are the guidelines of this "science project"

Convert an engine to run on compressed air... 5hp briggs and stratton would be easiest, and everyone will think you're a genius. If you have access to a welder and basic hand tools (drill press would speed things up), you can do it in about 3-4 hours.

i could but i would need a example. something to show. i dont have forced induction. i wish! lol

Forced induction would be badass. I'm sure you could find some seized turbos somewhere. Hell, I think there's one sitting in my buddy's shop if you're willing to spring for shipping. Section that sucka in half leaving the turbine intact so that it still spins. Shiet, I miss doing that kinda stuffs. Ok. I feel old now. Thanks. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

is it an indoor or outdoor showing? if its outdoor make your lawn mower or hell even your car run on water, its actually REALLY easy and you can get upto 3-350miles out of a tank of gas. A friend did it to his built 302 full size bronco that was carb'd and he got 323miles out of a tank of gas on average and he still tows a full size flatbed with his yota on the back and he can roast the 35"s on it no problem... :cool:

oh and +3 on the meth lab..its easy, find a tweeker(in cali its even easier) and ask them how and where they buy their "product". :fu: :lol:

EDIT: OR you could take and show how nitrous works and for an examle you can put that shit on a riding lawnmower! WOOOOOOT! (did it...turning is a VERY bad idea btw....)

It should be something that interest you. I am helping my son right now with his and it's about Albert Einstein's Theory of Relativity. Albert has always interested me and my son.

You can also google science projects and they will come up with various levels. Not sure what grade you are in.

RaceRX

I want to do something with intake this year or something else.

you could do a carburetor cutaway, n explain the fuel atomization, airflow physics(like how venturi's increase airflow and create a slight vacuum under it),you might also be able to branch out into air/fuel ratio explanations.

i dunno,i think it would b cool :)

Sounds like this would fit you idea.

OR you could take and show how nitrous works

This would be a great plus to show how Nitrous FURTHER effects the fuel.

At 16 your buddies will think YOU are Einstien.

Meth Lab......:rolleyes::lol:

You know, that air powered Briggs would be impressive as hell if you could have a tank of compressed oxygen (like a scuba tank) and an old go cart frame. Now that would be a way to show it. How could he run a Mechanical valve off the throttle lever? Regulate pressure?

EDIT: You could probably get a welding shop to sponsor you for the use of a couple FULL bottles.

You know, that air powered Briggs would be impressive as hell if you could have a tank of compressed oxygen (like a scuba tank) and an old go cart frame. Now that would be a way to show it. How could he run a Mechanical valve off the throttle lever? Regulate pressure?

EDIT: You could probably get a welding shop to sponsor you for the use of a couple FULL bottles.

I agree... I was thinking of just using a ball valve for the throttle. I'm waiting myself for a free bottle from the local welding shop, that'll give it some more oomph... It's volume dependant, the bigger the air line, the faster it goes... I'm working on rounding up some "industrial" big line, and a bottle, then it's onto the dyno to see if it makes usable power. If it goes well, have an old A14 out in the field I was thinking of trying it on in a small vehicle. Maybe a gas/air hybrid?

I'd say this kinda goes along the line of "intake", eh?

Oh hell ya! I think for "the student" it would be better to limit the amount of speed. We don't want to turn an A into an F for lack of control. :D

I was just thinking that a oxy bottle would hold enough (2500psi) pressure to power a cart around the parking lot for a demo. Mount the tank verticle right next to the engine with a line going to the ball valve next to the seat.

Hey can we just build it for you and you pay shipping??? :lol::lol:

wow never expected anything like this. well uhh any ideas on price for any of the listed ideas?

Hey can we just build it for you and you pay shipping???
hahahaha how much! I have Ratsun as a sponser of some kind! lol

All though it would be fun to try the engine on a kart, I think it would be more than sufficient to just have the engine run off a low psi air tank (~80psi)... It will run on as little as 5-6psi, if you needed to show it multiple times, if you just needed to run it once one short full blast run at max pressure will get your point across... Here's what you gotta do to make this work...

Step 1 (this is the quickest part): Get a chuck of aluminum (I used 3/8" thick), and use a Briggs carb gasket as a template for where to drill the holes for the "intake", and Mark the center of the intake port. Drill your holes for the bolts to go through into the block. Drill and tap the center of the port hole for an air fitting of your choice (automotive, or industrial typically), whatever your handy air tank hose end like will work with. Screw in the air fitting, and bolt the plate to the block, and make sure you use the gasket.

Step 2 (The long part): Take the side cover off of the engine, and remove the camshaft... It helps if you have a spare "junk" or parts camshaft handy for this... Cut the cam lobes off the extra cam (I used a hacksaw)... Here's where it gets interesting :) Weld the lobes you just cut off, onto the original cam 180