My battle with Home Depot, Husky and Stanley Tools.

Ok, so ive been at this battle for a few weeks now. Ive got a 100 piece Husky tool kit i got from Home Depot this year. Its a nice kit and i like it.

IMG_1153.jpg

Well i broke the 1/4'' drive ratchet from it when i tried to remove a pressed in bolt on the Datsun. I took the ratchet to HD and the lady said to go find it from the tool area. Well the only 1/4'' drive one they had was a different style. I took it up there and she said they cant swap that since they are different. I told her it was part of a kit and that i have the whole kit at home. She said to bring the kit in. I went home, got the kit and brought the whole thing in. The same freaking lady then tells me they cant do anything since they cant swap the whole kit for one broken part. She then tells me to call the number on the box. That was 2 weeks ago. I called the number wile i was sitting in the parking lot and it said they were closed for the holidays to call back on Jan 5th.

IMG_0999.jpg

Jan 5th i called the number and got a person within 10 seconds(look of shock on my face). Talked to the lady and told her i had a broken ratchet. She asked for the part number and a description of the tool. I told her Husky 27803 and that it was a 1/4'' drive pear head ratchet. Spot on, just what the computer says for her. She then gets my name and address and today a new ratchet shows up.

IMG_1152.jpg

I open the package that UPS left and its a Stanley 1/4'' ratchet. So its not the same ratchet. One of the big selling points on the Husky ratchets was being able to take them apart for cleaning/lubing. The Stanley cant be taken apart. Most people would just be happy to have the new ratchet, but im not. I expected the same damn thing that was in my set, not something else.

Now on to plan B. I got a $20 30 piece 1/4'' drive kit from HD that has the same ratchet in it. My plan here is to stick my old ratchet in the kit and leave it sitting out in the shop for a few weeks to collect some dust and dirt. Then ill take it and the ticket back in and try to get another kit.

IMG_1154.jpg

Husky and Stanley ratchets side by side. I quit with Stanley tools due to 3 of their ratchets failing within a year of use since i cant clean the damn things. Ive got a 1/4'' drive Mac ratchet that must be 30-40 years old and still works great since it gets taken apart and cleaned at least monthly.

IMG_1155.jpg

Yes i know i should get Craftsman or Snap On or one of the other high $$$ tool brands. Maybe if i sell my F250 i will, but untill then, ill keep what i like.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

most of my tools are mac and snapon... However, before I started buying them I replaced my constantly breaking craftsman ratchets with husky 3/8 and 1/2... 4 years later after constant abuse (breaker bars on both ratchets), I have yet to clean them internally, and they still work perfectly, no loose gears... I have to replace them with either a snapon or mac equivalent. Good ratchets and a fraction of the price.

Not around here. The girl working the desk there told us bring in anything we had and she would swap it. I broke my granddads 50yo ball pien hammer and she even let us keep it since it was so old. We got a new handle and fixed it along with the new one.

i have been using craftsman for years, i've broken some shit.. sockets.. extensions.. never a rachet tho.. i've broken pleanty of $5 rachets..

i have a 200++ something set of craftsman and for christmas i just got a new husky set that i havent even opened yet.. they're kind of the in the car tools in case of emergency type thing lol... im gonna take a look at them tho cause i didnt know they could be taken apart an cleaned an such.. i havent ever heard anything bad about them either..

When i break a ratchet the last thing i think about is if its going to get replaced, im normally more concerned that i just full force slammed my hand into something and am bleeding profusely

And as for using a 1/2" with a reducer, i have broken some nice ones of them with my bare hands on some seriously stubbern bolts that were way to far from the compressor.

If i can get an impact on it i have a c02 bottle now for pulling parts and such off cars i find in fields and in the dark...

When i break a ratchet the last thing i think about is if its going to get replaced, im normally more concerned that i just full force slammed my hand into something and am bleeding profusely

i hear that, im sure if csi was to go over my truck with that fake glow in the dark crap that shows blood that they use they would find a ton of blood on my truck lol

i hear that, im sure if csi was to go over my truck with that fake glow in the dark crap that shows blood that they use they would find a ton of blood on my truck lol

HAHA its funny you say that! I used to live in florida for a while and a buddy of mine had a run in with some broken glass on the beach, someone just buried a bunch of busted bottles and his leg sank into the middle of them and cut him really deep. We through him in the back of my wrangler and took him to the hospital to get stitched up, while we were inside the massive amount of blood that he let loose in my back seat dried and so there was dried blood all over the back of my jeep it was pretty gross. We went from the ER to this place down the street to get some food because we were starving, coincidentally there was a scuffle at the bar next door and the cops showed up. Somehow they discovered the large amount of blood in the back of my jeep and called in another unit or something, because when i went out side there were like 3 cop cars and 4 cops standing around my jeep..:eek: we walked up and they were like,

asshole florida cop-"IS this your car?"

me "Yup can I help you gentlemen?"

Asshat cops friend "you mind telling me what happend here?"

Mean while my friend is standing next to me on crutches with one leg all bandaged up with a bit of blood seeping through the bandage

me "What do you mean? the fight?

stupid cop" keep you hands where i can see them!"

Im wearing board shorts and a sleeveless shirt, no pockets and im holding my keys and wallet.

dumber cop with bad accent "wheerrreed all thiss blooood come from!"

me "haha ohh it came from him" i point

my buddy "its my blood"

Back to cop #1 "well we are going to need to fill out some paper work"

Me "what why am i being arrested?"

cop#2 "no but you and your friend might need to wait her a while while we verify this is his blood"

me "What the fuck look at his leg! If im not being arrested then we are leaving"

Bad accent cop "your not going anywheres"

me "fuck"...

my buddy billy "double fuck"

HAHA its funny you say that! I used to live in florida for a while and a buddy of mine had a run in with some broken glass on the beach, someone just buried a bunch of busted bottles and his leg sank into the middle of them and cut him really deep. We through him in the back of my wrangler and took him to the hospital to get stitched up, while we were inside the massive amount of blood that he let loose in my back seat dried and so there was dried blood all over the back of my jeep it was pretty gross. We went from the ER to this place down the street to get some food because we were starving, coincidentally there was a scuffle at the bar next door and the cops showed up. Somehow they discovered the large amount of blood in the back of my jeep and called in another unit or something, because when i went out side there were like 3 cop cars and 4 cops standing around my jeep..:eek: we walked up and they were like,

asshole florida cop-"IS this your car?"

me "Yup can I help you gentlemen?"

Asshat cops friend "you mind telling me what happend here?"

Mean while my friend is standing next to me on crutches with one leg all bandaged up with a bit of blood seeping through the bandage

me "What do you mean? the fight?

stupid cop" keep you hands where i can see them!"

Im wearing board shorts and a sleeveless shirt, no pockets and im holding my keys and wallet.

dumber cop with bad accent "wheerrreed all thiss blooood come from!"

me "haha ohh it came from him" i point

my buddy "its my blood"

Back to cop #1 "well we are going to need to fill out some paper work"

Me "what why am i being arrested?"

cop#2 "no but you and your friend might need to wait her a while while we verify this is his blood"

me "What the fuck look at his leg! If im not being arrested then we are leaving"

Bad accent cop "your not going anywheres"

me "fuck"...

my buddy billy "double fuck"

i'd have been like fine do what u need but when your done we're all going to point an laugh at u guys for wasting both yours an our time..

lol

Never had a problem getting Craftsman replacments. Just this past summer they gave me a new ratchet.

My advice is: never use a 1/4" ratchet. Those are for the tinyest bolts, less that 5/16".

Anyone know how to find a MAC Tools dealer? I've got an very nice ratchet broken, and can't find a dealer ...

When I was a kid our next door neighbor was a car mechanic and when he died his wife gave my dad a big tool box of Craftsman and other tools. It was probably the very first socket/ratchet set ever made. I still have them and use them.

Because of that, I kept buying Craftsman tools. I have busted a couple of the new socket tools a few years back and got replacements. When I started working as an apprentice carpenter, I bought a lot of Craftsman tools because the Sears store was close and I didn't know any better. I finally killed a few of the carpenter tools and rounded them all up and went down to get them replaced. The tools that are in the stores now are complete junk. Free or not, I just passed, don't need any more frustration from breaking crappy tools. I got dried blood all over my trucks and bikes too.

510er, great stupid cop story... don't get me started on stupid cop stories...

So let me get this straight. You take the "wrong" ratchet and stick it in a tool set that you bought and then return it to the store as you keep the new one that was the same as the one that broke? How about you get the right one and be thankful that you have a warranty. What if some other guy gets that kit expecting that ratchet? Thats why I like craftsman, no questions asked a quick and easy swap.....I have done quite a few of them in my wrenching history thus far.

I think you're taking yourself a little too seriously. Obviously being able to disassemble the head didn't help you considering that you broke the shank. Cleaning the ratcheting assembly takes time, probably more than getting a new ratchet if it fails from getting dirty over a few year's time. So, I ask...why?

Anyone know how to find a __________ Tools dealer? I've got an very nice ratchet broken, and can't find a dealer ...

the very reason i still buy craftsman.

the snap-on guy lives around the corner and the cornwall truck will stop by my house (at his convience...)

if one sears is a hassle, find another.

one store, always a hassle! another store-never questioned!

"not the same 'model', just get a 3/8" drive you like and..." ;) upgrades :D

Cobalts are MADE IN THE USA. at least when I bought them

I assume the same manufacture .

as HUSKY were once made in USA tools also and heard they were the same as Craftsman.

But Husky is now mostly made in Taiwan besides maybe screw drivers and such

Craftsmen are not as good as they used to be ,But wait for X mas sale on the Big tool boxes.

the other USA made tools are great but will break most datsun guys.

Mack tool

Proto

ect........

Im done with the Husky tools. They all went into an ammo can as junkyard tools. Just got home from Sears with a 154 piece Craftsman tool set. Also bought a screwdriver set and both metric and SAE 9pc wrench sets yesterday. The big tool replacement has started.

Husky tools are okay based on all the pipe fitting and plumbing work, you get what you pay for. The ratchets are WAY sub par though. I have had shanks break, gears break, the most common for me is the selector deciding to switch while I'm ratcheting so that I have to reselect and hold it, which is such a pita.

People shouldn't count out snap on because of the price, there are always ways around that. My 3/8 and 1/2 drives were bought off ebay for 40shipped, no scratches, current model, used. They would retail together for 150+. It's a zero risk, win/win situation, if by some miracle one was broke I just hand it to the guy on the truck and I get back a new one, no questions asked. That said both work perfectly even after I fist hammer them, throw them, drop, run over, use them as a hammer, you name it, I do it to these things. They don't even look any worse, still nice and shiny.

That aside its not just durability its quality. If you sneeze on a snap on 3/8 drive you get a click, thats not happening with a husky or craftsman and when your in tight spots it makes one hell of a dif. The sockets make a big dif too. I have the big 250-w/e piece black chrome husky set and I use the snap on drives. How many times I have slipped off or rounded a bolt because of husky's sub par sockets is ridiculous.

I am a firm believer buying any sub par tool (this includes craftsman/husky) is penny smart and pound foolish. In the long run your going to pay anyway, just like labor do it right the 1st time.

Can't think of a time I ever rounded a bolt/nut with a Craftsman socket. I do agree their ratchets aren't that great, though, at least not the newer ones. Haven't broken one, yet, but they just feel kind of sloppy.

Ebay is a great place to get stuff, though, especially the specialty tools. I've bought 3 torque wrenches now - two Matco and one Mac, all at about 1/4-1/3 the normal price, and they've all been in like-new condition.