Toy

jrbd10

for datzen your a bit confused.

i have 500 from dad.

cant walk for 8 weeks

710 L18 tired motor

college in like a year. im a junior

dont have

loan from dads partner(10-12) and i have college funds but dont want to use it.

SR20 and trans

no suspension or brake

I do know what is right. and whats wrong and no im not a sucker.

signal does have the motivation and is willing to be i guess nice with me.

i have budgeted

as so

Engine and trans installed(8,000)

Suspension and brakes (5,000)

that adds to about 13 but my dad can get the needed amount later. Signal and i have talked about payment options.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if your stuck in the desert, you got google maps, and a cell phone and you call someone to ask for directions instead of using the map? does that make sense?

try harder... thats my point... when I was 17 I pulled a 510 that had sat for 11years, out of a barn... the only help I had was a haynes manual. The brakes and lines were filled with crystalized brake fluid, I replaced it all myself with no help or advice. We can give you all the advice in the world, we could even do it for you... but if you aren't even "MOTAVATED" :D enough to do a LITTLE research on your own were wasting our time cause the car will never get done anyway.

Those of you who know... Dennis Leary's song just popped in my head! :lol:

Shudup! But true. I worked on a F'd up 302 ford van when I was 12 and made it run. Then I learned to back it up and drive it into the drive way. ALL BY MY SELF!!!

for datzen your a bit confused.

i have 500 from dad.

cant walk for 8 weeks

710 L18 tired motor

college in like a year. im a junior

dont have

loan from dads partner(10-12) and i have college funds but dont want to use it.

SR20 and trans

no suspension or brake

I do know what is right. and whats wrong and no im not a sucker.

signal does have the motivation and is willing to be i guess nice with me.

i have budgeted

as so

Engine and trans installed(8,000)

Suspension and brakes (5,000)

that adds to about 13 but my dad can get the needed amount later. Signal and i have talked about payment options.

Sorry 710/L16. Pretty much the same as a 510 for the swap. Solid axle a lot less bother to mess with.

Dude... You have a dream... But with a f'd up leg and such sort time, its better to buy yourself a nice Yaris/Versa/Xb/Civic/Fit with those 12k and use that reliable car and go to school with no problems...

I Fixed my datsun cus I dont have 12k. And if I did have 12K I would not waste it on a car. Maybe a nice house or pay for my own schooling. FUCK LOANS!!!!. Or at least buy this tight ass Z for 7K!!! Common kid think!!!! You can save some dough!!!! Jeez, your going to those schools? Just think a little....

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=8074

As my father says: "I tell you this cus I love you and I have too done the same shit your doing. But I guess you will have to learn the hard way."

We the Ratsun form loves Datsuns. But it just seems almost impossible what you want. But it could possibly be done.... It seems that they and I are just warning you.

jrbd10-

Where to start after so much has been said.... I guess the thread started with a question from you about front coilovers. Over the years I've installed a few different styles including T3, some old school "racing" coilovers out of an X race car, even a custom set made by the PO I pulled from a parts car. They all had the same design, a threaded collar that sits on top of a weld or sometimes bolt on sleeve. Recently Frank bought that vintage race car that came with some PL510 struts with weld on threaded collars, I thought shit thats way cooler than the T3 style. They look clean and it's one less thing to rattle itself to death. Not that the T3 units die or anything its just the aluminum threads get fucked up over years of daily driving. Anyways I found them a while back and plan on ordering them for my SR DIME. these ones I just like the idea of being able to shorten the struts (I like my cars super low) then welding the threaded collar over the seam for added strength, or at least piece of mind.

As for getting an SR swap done in 8 weeks, its kind of an open ended question. Depending on how deep you go, it COULD be possible... This is where my opinion comes in, so, this is my opinion and only that. Or I guess its an if I was in YOUR shoes. AKA not much of a car back round... Shit I'm 28, done my fair share of engine swaps and I drive a wore out L16 car to school and work haha :D I would also like to add I breath datto stuff, my one and only hobby. With that said I would advise you to borrow less cash and do a NA SR, way less mods, ton's of power compared to the L and reliable as shit. We installed one for a kid who is like you. He CAN work on cars but isn't to the leave of doing an engine swap himself. He's been daily driving it for a year. So far the only problems he's had are broken R160 (haha weak ass diff's) and a broken TC rod (alignment shops fault) The engine starts and runs sweet, gets great fuel economy and isn't to high strung where shit is constantly breaking. Trust me I've had turbo datto's and they can be a bitch.

Installing a NA SR will be 1/4 the work and still a really really good amount of power compared to stock, get a new clutch and your golden. If only you were local you could rid in all the different power plants.. Sticking to a simpler engine swap will give you more time to sort everything else out, which I think you should also keep simple, like stock ZX brakes, re-arched leafs, coilovers on the front only. Use the extra cash for a nice rad that can be used for your future turbo upgrade, with some trusty electric fans ect.

thanks ice man i think i will end up going with the technos, but i believe when the shops says they are going to do it in 8 weeks i believe it. I know it might take more because of parts but i have a few weeks im willing to give up. But remember there master mechanic is one of the best! he was the first mechanic to be able to tinker with the new skylines GTR's electrical system. that shit was made bullet proof but he opened it. so with work like that you cant go wrong. and you would think it would be expensive. not so much. Like i said time and time agian, the owner is asking for 6,000-8,000 depending as how deep i want to go performance wise. but he says in 8 weeks it would be done. he would have 2-3 man on deck constantly working on it who are pros at the swap. Idk i trust there shit. and I trust him.

Dont mean to piss in your wheaties but if youre serious about doing this youd be way better off to take the money from dad, go buy a shitbox 620 with a L20/5 speed/weber, good brakes and lights, put a couple stickers on it maybe rattle can it in the primer of your choice and hang a mini disco ball from the rear view and drive the piss out of it, youll like it and if you dont watch out it just might get you laid.

In the meantime park the 710, do some more homework on what you want done (sounds like youve got a decent plan but 12k is a fuck of a lot of money for a datto) Make a list and if youre going to have shops do it you wont have to give them a short timeframe. Theyll be less likely to cut corners considering that they are a reputable shop and youll be WAY happier with the end result.

+2 on mike's idea. The 710 isn't going anywhere. It'll wait for you. How you going to go to college owing $12,000. A car is the worst investment (money pit) you will ever make. Education is much better.

Who the fuck spends $15K on their kids flavor of the month ride anyway???????? If you have a job start buying shit for your project and forget dad. Get his help on a part and pay him back before moving on to the next part. This should slow things down to match your learning curve. No one at your age should have a SR20DETT 710 for (example) a first project car. Start small and work your way up, how fast, is up to your abilities.

Icehouse

post pics and keep us updated on the progress
I cant. Im going to be at my bed the whole time but ill try.

Mike your idea sounds rad. But i do wanna keep this datto. this is my first car. and it has a great history. its like only right to rebuild it anew. Its just a thing i have been wanted to do. So im using not opportunity wasted idea on this one. I do a have a list and the owner at signal have gone over this time and time agian. were pretty straight on what to do.

Datzenmike, i know cars are money pitts. But its money from my dads partner. And he will hire me as a go getter and i will pay him off. See for college funds, i have an account that has about 15K there. its in a Cd account and i dont plan on touching it until college for the college life. I have a few colleges with money sitting at my door. For example, USF says the will pay my first 3 years of college. Berkely says 2 years, San Fran state, free ride. so like the college money is there. the debut it like under the table.....guys dont bag on my writting today im too lazy to write everything out correctly.

well i made the call and unfortunatly i did not get the loan because my dads partner is not prepared financailly. He said he would like to but that he is not able too because this year has not been a good year. So im telling you guys the idea is still nothing but a dream for now. Eventually i will do it but not anytime soon. You guys where right but hey i did try to make it happen so dont hold that agianst me.

ooooohhhhh bummer you have tooo do the work your self so while your laid up DO SOME RESEARCH look up everything you think you want to do look dont ask then when your all better you can build your dime. And you will appreciate it more than having one built.and if something go wrong you know how to fix it. Take this time to educate your self with the datsun and what can be done yes the ratsun search sucks I my self just google everything and if its on Ratsun it will show on google.good luck and i hope your surgery goes good

:)freaky