Toy

jrbd10

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m sorry for asking my questions. My family doesn’t show me anything car related. Everything in my household is done by the mechanic. So I don’t have mechanical experience. All is done by the internet. And you can only read so much, but unless you actually get your hands dirty, you can’t grasp the full understanding of what people are talking about. And I know we can all agree to that. I have no mechanical experience. I know what everything is however.

Now back to my swap issue. The reason I ask my questions is because I need to have an engine swap done. I have scholarships to different schools up north and I plan on taking my car along with me. I have Berkeley, USF, Santa Clara, Monterey, etc. My engine has about 500,000 miles on it. It is dying. And won’t survive climate up north. Now the rush to learn is because I had a surgery on Monday. I will not be able to walk for 8 weeks. That is more than enough time to fix my car. Engine, Suspension, and Brakes. So while I get rehab for my knee, my car well undergo heart surgery. Obviously that means I can’t do the work myself, so I’m trying to learn what to buy to just give it to the people who will have the car. I don’t have the money lying around so I will be asking for a loan on this coming Monday. Hopefully I will have enough to get the swap and suspension and brakes. I have sent constant emails to different companies and find that Signal is more genuine than other swap places. They also want to do it to put a Signal Logo on it. So more of a reason to get it done there. Signal says if I bring them the parts they can install them. But now I think I’m going to use Brake Co in Santa Ana. So well shall see. Once again I’m sorry for upsetting the senior members asking dumb noob questions but I needed to be spoon feed as one of you pointed out. Well as a side joke I in fact am eating at my bed and have a tube to pee in.

I don't see a Datsun (510, 710 doesn't matter) with an engine that was never sold in the USA as a commuter car. Especially when the driver has zero mechanical background and hasn't done a bit of the work himself. Shit will happen, especially in a swapped SR20 car. You aren't going to be able to have an issue somewhere between point A and point B and just roll in to Joe's Corner Auto Repair and get your car fixed to be on your way.

This whole thing just doesn't make sense. You have yet to demonstrate in any way that you are following the advice of the people you are asking it of.

If you are taking out a loan for transportation from SoCal to NorCal, maybe you should be at a car dealership.

Well i mean i know what is what. I know what moves what and what not. I know what almost every major part is and what it does. So if I have a proublem if its minor I'm sure i can fix it. I have done small work beofre. But not a project. I can fix simple things. And most of the time i know whats wrong. But the diffrence is actually doing it. I understand where you are coming from. But loan wise, the money is coming from my dads partner. I will pay him off by working for him, you know as his runner or his bitch as my dad likes to call it for as long as he wants.

To be really honest, this guy is a little crazy and he loves me. We always get along. When im at the office we talk alot about history like wars and what not. I love history and so does he. So I think he would loan me money because he does have a huge heart. He is a good guy and a good friend to take to war.

Pain meds. Not fun. Im on two pain killers. 1 of them is a regular old pill. The other is for when the pain is extremly painful and its an injection. Its like morphine.

Well i mean i know what is what. I know what moves what and what not. I know what almost every major part is and what it does. So if I have a proublem if its minor I'm sure i can fix it. I have done small work beofre. But not a project. I can fix simple things. And most of the time i know whats wrong. But the diffrence is actually doing it. I understand where you are coming from. But loan wise, the money is coming from my dads partner. I will pay him off by working for him, you know as his runner or his bitch as my dad likes to call it for as long as he wants.

With a well written post like this I can see why you would have so many scholarships!

:lol: :thumbup:

For a couple of grand have the L16 built and put in, some new brakes and shocks and you are ready for anything the road can hand you. No one, NO ONE can put an SR into a 510 with suspension and brakes in 8 weeks
I'm pretty confident I could given $12,000 and a shop to do it in, which is what this guy is suggesting. Why couldn't you?

Ya thats just you and just this project with 12+k dumped into your hands, even then it would be close if done correctly and not just slapped together. I bet quite a few of us could given the perfect circumstances. That said though shops don't/can't dedicate themselves to single outlandish projects and it never goes smoothly. 8 weeks, again, done correctly is a pipe dream just like every other aspect of said plan.

see this is negative. why so

See this is dumb, why so? Because I actually list the reasons in my post and instead of reading them and taking them into consideration you just say its negative and ask why. Here is another why, because I have been down the rd many times, many members here have been down the rd many times. We know and you do not and instead of telling you to go fuck yourself we keep trying to pound it into your head that you need to rethink this little plan of yours.

Again and for the final time I'm done, please do not post any spanish bullshit forcing me to respond. Take the advice, or don't but more the hell on.

Here is a good proverb for you since your a fan..... Lo que en los libros no est

Edited by 72240z
For a couple of grand have the L16 built and put in, some new brakes and shocks and you are ready for anything the road can hand you. No one, NO ONE can put an SR into a 510 with suspension and brakes in 8 weeks

Nelson at Altered Motives in the Portland area has quoted me 4-5 weeks for an SR20DET swap into a 510, including front and rear suspension mods. I've personally seen 3 of his swaps. He has a full time shop and has been doing this shit for over 20 years.. He's not a shade tree douche with a bunch of money.

o wow. So explain whats wrong with the plan. I want an Sr Swap done by Signal Auto, Suspension parts from Techno Toy Tunning, and Brakes custom made from Brake Co in Santa Ana. How is this impossible.
So what calipers are you going to use? What rotors? Are they going on stock struts up front or are you going to swap them out with 280zx, A510, 200SX struts, or what, and which hubs do you plan to use with what size wheels and tires? Stock drums in the rear or are you swapping to discs? If so, what calipers and how do you figure the emergency brake will be configured? New hard lines or just soft lines? I assume you'll be swapping the SR exhaust manifold for a top mount so it doesn't interfere with the steering box, or is the shop going to do a rack & pinion conversion as well? Don't want the turbo and outlet overheating the brake master cylinder either. Are you going to flip the cross member or have a custom oil pan done? What sway bars do you plan to use, especially up front? You'll be putting in new fuel lines, right? Who's doing that? Are you going to run an external fuel pump or fab an internal pump into the stock tank...or maybe go with a fuel cell? Are you going to lower the car? What do you plan for spring rates and have you sourced a place for new leafs in the rear? Going to go with camber/caster plates? How low are you going to go? Are you going to use some roll center/bump steer spacers? Adjustable T/C rods? Adjustable LCA's? What intercooler do you plan to use? What mods to the grill area are necessary to fit the intercooler and new radiator? Is your shop going to do all the crossmember fab or are you going to outsource it to maddat, mckinney, datsport, etc? How about the transmission crossmember? Who's doing the exhaust work? What turbo are you going to use? Who's going to rebuild the wheel bearings and seals since you should do that while you have it all apart? Are you going to drop the motor in or freshen it up/rebuild it before it goes in? Where are you getting the motor set? Using stock gauges or do you have plans for new ones? Are you going to paint anything? Going to paint the engine compartment before the new motor goes in? Powdercoat any suspension components? Who's doing the wiring? Have you thought about upgrading the headlights or their associated wiring?

:P

What he has is:

$500 from dad

knee surgery: off feet for 8? weeks

going to college in 8? weeks

510 with tired L16 motor

a dream

What he doesn't have:

$12,000 from dad's partner OR $10,000 and $2,000 from college funds.

SR20 motor (and transmission, driveshaft?)

suspension/brake parts, or any mechanical experience or idea of what needs doing, and if done, no idea if it is done right. In other words at the mercy of who ever takes the money to put this together.

To do this in the time you have left you will have to throw more money than you have (or dream of having) at it. The motivation for a shop building this, is MONEY!! When the money (yours) runs out, they'll shove it in the corner until you do. (or don't) Custom installation adds up fast and without any experience budgeting your expenses will be a nightmare.

what are you trying to say?

ok what ever then.

What that means is-what is not in the books, life will teach you.

ok for matt

I dont have every answer but i have my idea of what to do. For the front i might go with Troy Ermish kit or the people at Brake Co can do it all there. And the rear, disc brakes. For the emergency brake that has been addresed and Signal says they can fab it up. Yea it would be top mount. Custom oil pan. Fab a a fuel pump and a fuel cell that might change though. For the rear im going with Techno Toy tunning. the height is still unknown that y coil overs well go. yea some spacers. Adj. T/C's. Custom intercooler and radiator. theyll fab the cross member. Signal gonna use my custom exhust it has already.

For now well use the stock turbo maybe a gt30. Signal will rebuild. I have plans for newer gauges later. no paint. signal is doing all the wiring and elec.

see i dont have all the answers but a good general idea of what to do.

You're going with Troy's kit up front on what struts? Are your struts the same as PL510 struts? T3 what in the rear? Don't you have leafs on a solid axle? I wasn't aware that T3 did anything with leafs.