Picked up a 1970 521

Shagy

Long time 510 owner, 1st time 521 owner.....

its rough, but I guess to be expected for one that's been sitting for a while. Looks like pretty much all the glass was smashed.  Not sure what we're going to do with it. But in the meantime we'll clean it up and I'll have my oldest tinker with stuff.  He is already talking about driving it in 4 years when he can get his license.....

I'll be digging around the forums for a while to see more about these trucks. I'm looking at a possible newer 4 cyl / fuel injected set up.  SR would be nice, S2k is going to cost WAY too much to source the engine.  A friend of mine says to K swap it....1st we get rid of spider webs and glass pieces.

20240611_113841[1].jpg

20240611_132849[1].jpg

20240611_133240[1].jpg

20240614_193330[1].jpg

20240614_193322[1].jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

be hard pressed to even get a L motor in there and running

Be easyer to buy mine when I get ready to sell it.1200$ but not ready yet.

driving a single master cylinder I would not consider for a Newer younger driver ,  One really needs to up keep on these older vehicles.  the 521 brake line rots out under by the fuel filler tube. (I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

If it aint alll rotted out fix it easy peasy. Parts are still plentiful and like Hainz said just convert to dual master cylinder and put some front disc brakes or just rebuild what you got as Arizona only monsoon months its dry and drum brakes will do fine. Kick that passenger door in and good to go.

21 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

be hard pressed to even get a L motor in there and running

Be easyer to buy mine when I get ready to sell it.1200$ but not ready yet.

driving a single master cylinder I would not consider for a Newer younger driver ,  One really needs to up keep on these older vehicles.  the 521 brake line rots out under by the fuel filler tube. (I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

In 2018 it was running.  I looked at it then but the $ wasn't there for me.  Sucks. 

Neighbor has a fee ideas on some newer FI'd engines.  We'll see.

I'll look into the dual master kit.

This will be a teaching truck for at least 2 of my boys (3rd is too young).  

49 minutes ago, NC85ST said:

From Arizona, at least it should be solid. I hope you didn’t give much for it. It looks like it needs just about everything.

Yeah..lots of surface rust on the frame.  It was priced right that the wife was okay with it...haha

Not worried about much as we'll just bypass stock stuff and mod it to work.....down the road.

17 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

If it aint alll rotted out fix it easy peasy. Parts are still plentiful and like Hainz said just convert to dual master cylinder and put some front disc brakes or just rebuild what you got as Arizona only monsoon months its dry and drum brakes will do fine. Kick that passenger door in and good to go.

Ive seen the Silverstone (IIRC) wilwood front disc swap that looks nice.  I've found a guy in Santa Maria that has glass. Hope to find someone closer to Phoenix  

• 3 weeks later...

Paint codes were usually foil stickers with ink letters. Long since fallen off. Likely something to do with the manufacturing when the support was stamped out. I looked up the rad support part numbers... nothing remotely close.

• 2 weeks later...

Have not had much time to spend with the truck.  Got the inside kind of cleaned out and this back bumper taken off.

Did these come on as a dealer option?  I've seen similar ones in photos.  

Also looks like this truck make the trek from Washington to Arizona.

1000020675.jpg

1000020721.jpg

1000020722.jpg

1000020676.jpg

1000020677.jpg

• Like 3
12 hours ago, datzenmike said:

May just be a custom one. Usually they are chrome and small with one on each side

Thats what I was thinking, but I've seen a few very similar ones in photos.  I'd love to have the bumper ettes again.  I have a feeling this is just boing to end up with a piece of pipe like an "off road" bumber.

• Like 1

I had the same bumper when I first got my truck…

1 hour ago, Shagy said:

Thats what I was thinking, but I've seen a few very similar ones in photos.  I'd love to have the bumper ettes again.  I have a feeling this is just boing to end up with a piece of pipe like an "off road" bumber.

IMG_3318.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

We grabbed an L16 from a local 510 guy today.  Now we need to find the oil pan and pick up tube. Forgot that they were not the same.

Anyone close to Phoenix have one?????

Replaced the engine mount bolts and in the process had to clean up the threads.  Bolts didn't wanna come out smooth. 

20240816_152226.jpg

20240816_190756.jpg

20240816_173553.jpg

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Shagy said:

...We grabbed an L16 from a local 510 guy today.  Now we need to find the oil pan and pick up tube. Forgot that they were not the same...

20240816_152226.jpg

20240816_190756.jpg

Also needs the Hitachi throttle lever for the truck cable. This is a linkage set up for the 510

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

I'll have to figure that part out. The cable is broken on the truck.  happen to know if the adapters are available? or is it just the stock truck one?

Edited by Shagy
On 7/4/2024 at 7:19 AM, datzenmike said:

Paint codes were usually foil stickers with ink letters. Long since fallen off. Likely something to do with the manufacturing when the support was stamped out. I looked up the rad support part numbers... nothing remotely close.

FYI the early 510's had the paint code STAMPED on the rad core support..............I think the foil stickers came in around 1970-1971.  I think all of the 240Z's had the foil sticker.  I will look at my 1972 521, after the rain stops!! 🤪

On 8/16/2024 at 10:36 PM, Shagy said:

We grabbed an L16 from a local 510 guy today.  Now we need to find the oil pan and pick up tube. Forgot that they were not the same.

Anyone close to Phoenix have one?????

Replaced the engine mount bolts and in the process had to clean up the threads.  Bolts didn't wanna come out smooth. 

20240816_152226.jpg

20240816_190756.jpg

20240816_173553.jpg

That Offy intake is cool! 😎 If the 510 oil pan & pick up are decent, those are worth $100-150 easy!  I will have a 620 oil pan.................if you find it will work, PM me!  Also, if you decide to go with one of the POS "shorty" headers, that truck dual headpipe also has some value!  I think the 510 stock exhaust manifold is the same as the truck, so hopefully that will line up with the truck downpipe!