1969 510 hood hinges

Can anyone tell me if the hood hinges on a 69 are different from the 70 to 73 models? I have worked on mrfiveoneoh 69, 510 and the aftermarket hinges would hit the cowl panel just like how the hinges hit mine. The hinges that came with my car are not from this vehicle and hit the cowl just like the aftermarket ones. Are the 68 hinges the same as the 69 hinges ? I know the 68 hinges are different from the rest. But no one mentions about the 69 specifically. Here the comparison pics from mrfiveoneoh hinges. The dirty ones are the originals from his car. 

IMG_6191.jpeg

IMG_6190.jpeg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Icehouse said:

I've never noticed a difference on any hinges but the 68 hinges.  Who makes re pop hinges? 

Whoever makes all that after market stuff for the 510 repop panels. Just look up 510 hood hinges a ton of sites will pop up

9 hours ago, DARIN 510 said:

Contact point? This is two disassembled hinges. With the front pieces laid on top of each other. 

You mentioned in your original post the hinges contact the body/cowl panel.  Based on that comment and the shape difference, I was asking what particular location on the hinge contacts the cowl panel.  That would help me see how the curvature difference may affect the issue.

On 1/18/2024 at 1:49 AM, DARIN 510 said:

the aftermarket hinges would hit the cowl panel just like how the hinges hit mine.

I can see the 68 cowl assembly being different based on the completely different wiper structure.

The 1968 hinges were SINGLE walled, thus they bent easily.  The 1969-1973 are DOUBLE walled at the weak point.  Yes, any 68-73 510 hinge will work, but the 1968 is different.

5 hours ago, yenpit said:

The 1968 hinges were SINGLE walled, thus they bent easily.  The 1969-1973 are DOUBLE walled at the weak point.  Yes, any 68-73 510 hinge will work, but the 1968 is different.

68 hinge only works on a 68 car.  If you use a late hinge on a 68 the hood is to far forward.  

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Icehouse said:

68 hinge only works on a 68 car.  If you use a late hinge on a 68 the hood is to far forward.  

Did not know that detail!  Is the bulkhead mounting point different OR are the hinges simply different..........or both?  The 68 has so many little differences!

On 1/20/2024 at 3:09 PM, yenpit said:

Did not know that detail!  Is the bulkhead mounting point different OR are the hinges simply different..........or both?  The 68 has so many little differences!

I don't know exactly what is different I just know having a bunch of 68's the stupid hinges are so hard to find.  If you use a late hinge the hood is way to far forward.  I once hogged out a late hinge to get by but it wasn't perfect by any means.  

On 1/19/2024 at 6:35 AM, iceman510 said:

You mentioned in your original post the hinges contact the body/cowl panel.  Based on that comment and the shape difference, I was asking what particular location on the hinge contacts the cowl panel.  That would help me see how the curvature difference may affect the issue.

I can see the 68 cowl assembly being different based on the completely different wiper structure.

Here is some pics of what is going on. Hood was never mounted when I bought the car. Clearly the hinges that came with the car aren’t from this car and are 70-73. Two different hinges both hitting the cowl lip the same way. 

IMG_6314.jpeg

IMG_6315.jpeg

IMG_6317.jpeg

IMG_6316.jpeg

Thanks Darin.  Looking back at the second picture you posted and as you noted, the arch is about the same until just past the crown (moving from body end to hood end) between the original and the aftermarket, with the span of the aftermarket arch being less.  This is the same area where you have contact to the cowl.  Unfortunately it appears with your combo you also have contact even with the larger span original hinge.  Thus the aftermarket would be even worse.  

If you bolt the hood on, does it open far enough to latch the prop rod?  Is it close?  Could you lightly grind the hinge to get enough clearance to make it work?  With this hinge and cowl combo, does the hood hit the cowl also?

On 1/22/2024 at 6:55 AM, iceman510 said:

According to the fiche

Dude, you're old.

Dammit, so am I since I know exactly what you are talking about(at least I think I know).

45 minutes ago, KELMO said:

Dude, you're old.

I am, officially, as I can get senior discounts.  Old habit calling it fiche I guess.  I use the online car manuals site now, but I did use microfiche in the 1980's when I was a parts guy at a Honda dealer.  I'm sure you are understanding correctly as you have mentioned you were a parts guy.  I never did work at a Nissan dealer though.  

Somewhere around here I may still have an envelope with some microfiche in it.  Not sure if they are from Honda or some later Mitsubishi stuff.  I do have old Mitsu parts books.

Edited by iceman510
  • Like 1
On 1/31/2024 at 9:29 AM, iceman510 said:

Thanks Darin.  Looking back at the second picture you posted and as you noted, the arch is about the same until just past the crown (moving from body end to hood end) between the original and the aftermarket, with the span of the aftermarket arch being less.  This is the same area where you have contact to the cowl.  Unfortunately it appears with your combo you also have contact even with the larger span original hinge.  Thus the aftermarket would be even worse.  

If you bolt the hood on, does it open far enough to latch the prop rod?  Is it close?  Could you lightly grind the hinge to get enough clearance to make it work?  With this hinge and cowl combo, does the hood hit the cowl also?

Not sure. Still working on the hood at the moment. For the hinge to have full swing I would have to grind quite a bit. Maybe a 1/2 to 3/4 off. And the hood I assume would still be too close to the cowl

• 1 month later...

This hinge thing had been nagging in the back of my mind so I unburied the four door, pulled back the tarp and found the hinges still attached. Half a day and plenty of WD 40 later I was able to extend them up and they did not bind like Darin's 69. Much searching in the bins where I stored the parts off the '72 reveled the hinges from the 71 and 1 1/2 from the 72. I found that 4 of them had the same arch and 2 were different, even from each other. I'm sure the ones from the 69 are original, they have smaller holes for the hood bolts and an elongated hole where it mounts to the body, but the arch is a little different between them.

pOWInk8l.jpg  kAeXZYml.jpg

l75VdCel.jpg  qntHvEFl.jpg

tcxN4POl.jpg

I was wondering if there was a change where the hood hinges mount during the 69 model year? My car was made in 5 / 69 and if Darin's was made earlier maybe his has the mounting points the same as 68 on the body. It looks to me like Datsun had some variation in production of the hinges.

On 3/12/2024 at 7:10 AM, banzai510(hainz) said:

who makes the aftermarket hinge????????

Hainz, I had seen hinges listed on Futofabs website but they are on backorder. My search brought up two results but I have no idea if they are any good to you. I will be refurbishing mine, maybe I should post here on how it goes.

https://www.zeddsaver.com/products/datsun-510-hood-hinges

https://zcardepot.com/products/hood-bonnet-hinge-510-69-73#

• Like 1