Has anyone ever mid engine swapped a Datsun)Nissan?

builte

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

VW bugs are rear engine not mid engine.

510 IRS style would be best, the differential is solidly mounted so just mount engine and transmission in front and solidly bolt together and let the two driveshafts articulate. Total length would put the engine between the front bucket seats but it would be mid engine. Car is now all but useless for driving. L4 plus shortest 4 speed is around 45" so do some measuring. A truck maybe would possibly keep the engine outside the cab. Automatic would be easier to drive than manual but all transmissions are over 30" long and then there is the connection to the differential which couldn't be solidly bolted and needs a driveshaft making even longer.

Best bet is a FWD and engine and swap in place of the stock differential. Here a truck has the advantage of keeping it out of the cabin.

• Thanks 1

The differential moves up and down so how will transmission connect? Short double cardan U joint? Measure from differential to cab. You would need somewhere around 55"??? or the clutch fan will be into the back of the cab. Interesting thought experiment but of no practical application.

Will someone ride in the back to shift the gears?

Relocate the gas tank?

Best bet is a later V6 automatic FWD swapped in place of the rear axle.

• Like 1

After quite a few beers, yes, that was talked about with some friends. One option was going with a 914 Transaxle with an adapter piece, obviously. Then there was the Corvair set up, since I have seen a few mid engine conversions. 

Then there was the "What to stick it in"? question. 510 wagon was the choice. And then make it a two door wagon while we where coming up with crazy shit. 

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

VW bugs are rear engine not mid engine.

510 IRS style would be best, the differential is solidly mounted so just mount engine and transmission in front and solidly bolt together and let the two driveshafts articulate. Total length would put the engine between the front bucket seats but it would be mid engine. Car is now all but useless for driving. L4 plus shortest 4 speed is around 45" so do some measuring. A truck maybe would possibly keep the engine outside the cab. Automatic would be easier to drive than manual but all transmissions are over 30" long and then there is the connection to the differential which couldn't be solidly bolted and needs a driveshaft making even longer.

Best bet is a FWD and engine and swap in place of the stock differential. Here a truck has the advantage of keeping it out of the cabin.

Yes I know.Just flip the motor and tranny around.Flip the ring and pinion and bam,mid engine.Just like all the old school dunebuggies.

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The differential moves up and down so how will transmission connect? Short double cardan U joint? Measure from differential to cab. You would need somewhere around 55"??? or the clutch fan will be into the back of the cab. Interesting thought experiment but of no practical application.

Will someone ride in the back to shift the gears?

Relocate the gas tank?

Best bet is a later V6 automatic FWD swapped in place of the rear axle.

I had a mid engine Dodge van like this above, a kid hit me head on while making a left turn in front of me, I will never own a mid engine anything again, there is nothing between the front of the van and ones shins, I could not get in the van afterwards and my legs did not have a scratch on them, but my nose hit the steering wheel and flattened it, I had to have my nose moved back into position with a two prong fork, and I had another surgery to open the left nostril up so I could breathe thru it, I was lucky to survive, my friends ankle got caught between the engine block and the front sheet metal of the van, he was in a cast for almost a year, mid engine, no thanks.

The plan is to make a crumple cage in the engine bay to prevent this and act as counter weight 

54 minutes ago, wayno said:

I had a mid engine Dodge van like this above, a kid hit me head on while making a left turn in front of me, I will never own a mid engine anything again, there is nothing between the front of the van and ones shins, I could not get in the van afterwards and my legs did not have a scratch on them, but my nose hit the steering wheel and flattened it, I had to have my nose moved back into position with a two prong fork, and I had another surgery to open the left nostril up so I could breathe thru it, I was lucky to survive, my friends ankle got caught between the engine block and the front sheet metal of the van, he was in a cast for almost a year, mid engine, no thanks.

11 hours ago, builte said:

And I plan on trying to find 5 speed automatic trans mission to run to the back then figuring out a differential that would level 

I'd ditch the leaf spring and go independent suspension in the rear... then use something like the z cars/ subaru differential that doesn't move.... 

• Thanks 1