How is the Datsun scene in the Mid West?

Hi Ratsun folks

I am ending my 25 year career at the county I work at in January of 2023...I have some family in the North East Kansas area so I am going to attempt to spend 6 months there and then 6 months in the upstate NY area where I have lived in for the past 60 plus years...

So I would love to find another Datsun truck like the one I had 40 plus years a go...I know the vehicles rust out there but nothing like the upstate NY stuff does...I am shooting for a rural smaller town in hopes of getting some peace and quiet in my life and maybe be able to safely drive a 50 year old truck around town...

So how is the Datsun scene in the middle of the USA???

Thanks in advance.

MikeC

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People and vehicles are around, just not so prevalent.  Tend to be seen at events like racing venues and the like.  I have lived in Wisconsin, Illinois and Michigan.   You will not see many daily driver Datsuns or other old vehicles, particularly imports.  Mostly domestic brands in the midwest.

But that said, I think finding someplace you can drive an old car regularly is a nice idea.  What is the six months split allocation?  Winter where- NY or KS?  Not sure which is the better cold weather climate.

• Like 1

Find something from the southwest. Yep there will be shipping involved but starting with a rust free vehicle will set you hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars ahead on a restoration. Rust is rot and trying to repair rot you have to be good at welding and making parts or trying to fit shitty fitting aftermarket parts. It is still never the same as an original rust free car. I live in Maine in the summer and coming from Florida and then working on cars that see salted roads I will never again purchase a vehicle that has seen salted roads modern or classic!

• Like 1

I think it can be hit or miss in the DSW (Desert Southwest). I have purchased 2 1200's here and 1 had rust (floorboards, spare wheel well) the other one had zero rust in the spare wheel well and minimal floor rust. The 411, sold originally in Tuscon, has been a DSW car since sold (as far as I know) and any rust on it is minimal. The 510 sedan has the rear quarter rust like most but that appears to be it. The wagon does not count as I bought it out of Texas.

It really comes down to how PO's stored and took care of the vehicle.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Mike!  I messaged two Datsun buddies in KC area to keep their eyes out!

On 1/17/2023 at 9:25 PM, Aaron Datsun said:

I live outside of Kansas City on the Kansas Side. I grew up in South Kansas. There are NOT very many Datsuns around these parts.

Hey Aaron!  So you ended up in KC area?  I have family in Smithville, Lawrence & scattered around!  My grandparents lived out their lives in Lee's Summit 🙂  Last time I passed thru was in Nov 2019, but might try to get back there in 2023!

• Like 1
On 1/21/2023 at 6:13 PM, yenpit said:

Hey Mike!  I messaged two Datsun buddies in KC area to keep their eyes out!

Hey Aaron!  So you ended up in KC area?  I have family in Smithville, Lawrence & scattered around!  My grandparents lived out their lives in Lee's Summit 🙂  Last time I passed thru was in Nov 2019, but might try to get back there in 2023!

Yes I am over in Leavenworth (not the prison) for the next at least year an a half after Colorado it was Las Vegas and after Leavenworth only time will tell. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Aaron Datsun said:

Yes I am over in Leavenworth (not the prison) for the next at least year an a half after Colorado it was Las Vegas and after Leavenworth only time will tell. 

Well regardless of the "military lifestyle" of moving around, thank you for your service!! 😎

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Aaron Datsun said:

Wow, how long ago were you at our track day with your turbo Z (red??)?

• Like 1

I hate to tell you this,but there's no mountain roads (or mountains),

in North East Kansas.I think I'd go crazy in a short time if I lived there.

I've been to Iowa for a few days last June (Family reunion),& that was

enough for me.

Seriously,good luck!

• Like 1
On 1/27/2023 at 9:22 PM, angliagt said:

I hate to tell you this,but there's no mountain roads (or mountains),

in North East Kansas.I think I'd go crazy in a short time if I lived there.

I've been to Iowa for a few days last June (Family reunion),& that was

enough for me.

Seriously,good luck!

Hey AngliaGT...having lived in the foothills of the Adirondacks for over 60 years...I have seen enough mountains to last me till I leave this realm...I really enjoy the open skies and having my son with in an hour of where I am hoping to land is a huge bonus....I remember talking to a family member years ago now and he turns to me and says...."You are nothing but a flatlander"....yup I guess I am...

On a side note I was looking at a possible house in Ottawa Kansas...it ended up being a Zombie property but back in the trees sits 520 or 521 box with a tail gate...some one years ago made it into a trailer...

Made me smile...

Edited by mikec4193
spelling
  • Like 2