Have you found the 620 Lil' Hustler to be a Chick Magnet?

Cardinal Grammeter

I'm 70 and a car guy that has owned many cars including 3 Dodge Vipers but my lowly, 74 620 work truck I've had for the past 8 years, is the first vehicle I ever had that truly was a chick magnet.  But it is more than just that, the 620 has this incredible universal appeal that is mind boggling.  Grannys, children and people of all ages continually walk up to me or shout out when passing by.  In parking lots, I've had a "foursome" 2 or 3 times where 4 different people independently walk up and start asking me about my 620.

I am in the Rust Belt near Pittsburgh, PA so a 620 daily driver is an extremely rare site and I'm sure contributes to the appeal.  I'd also bet 620 Customs attract pretty good too.

• Like 1
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Viper is too new and too few (relatively) to have fond memories of. Old Jap tin harkens back to another age when things were simpler an you would have seen one nearly every day. Probably had a ride in one, someone you know may have had one.

47 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The Viper is too new and too few (relatively) to have fond memories of. Old Jap tin harkens back to another age when things were simpler an you would have seen one nearly every day. Probably had a ride in one, someone you know may have had one.

Yes, but many cars fit that category.  I don't know how much is due to Jap cars.  I know old BMW 1600's and 2002's don't get much of a rise, however I think the original Beetle might be popular. 

I know the Rust Belt here creates a completely different culture than West Coast.

NOTE:  Knew a rich, fit 50 year old player lawyer, into major womanizing, his office lights were on late night - the cops thought he was working late when it fact, he was banging away.  He had an $80k BMW back around 2000 and was bitching because the young stuff was completely oblivious to how expensive that car was.  He said they basically loved Corvettes - and cheap ones at that.  So he was rethinking best car for impressing young girls.  He too had a Viper and totaled it.  Put the engine in his boat.  Dude was chill though.

Don't sell the Vipers and new cars (like Demon, Hellcat, etc) short.  When I bot my new 2000 GTS  I called that car a Magic Car because no matter where I went, all eyes were on me and so many compliments etc.  (Of course, this was the exact opposite of street racing a Studebaker Lark - that car was so innocuous, it was like fucking with The Federation in a cloaked Bird of Prey.  So I wallowed in now getting total attention from the car I had.

They came out in 1996, and weren't many around so you got big attention.  The Viper was unique and not like a new Ferrari or Lambo - it was a Beast!  It was 110% BadAss like the AC Cobra - and short wheelbase too just to spice things up(!)  Bikers loved Vipers!  

Anyhow, check this story out - best Viper story I have:

I had a hot, sharp girl driving a broke ass Honda follow me into a gas station.  She walks up to me and says, "I've never done this before... but would you take me for a ride in your car?"

LOL, I'm 40 and one of the voices in my head is screaming, "Jerry Springer!  Jerry Springer! ..." the other voice, well, we know that guy.

So I couldn't say Yes and I couldn't say NO. 

So I said, "Tell you what, I'll give you a ride around the gas station lot."  So I did and hit the throttle once.  She was very happy and I started looking for a camera I thought I had in the car but couldn't find it.  I told her sorry I couldn't find my camera - I could have taken a pic of you with the car.

She says, "That wouldn't be a good idea.  If I got my pic taken with that car, I'd have to be naked."  

My initial reaction was, Marry Me, which is silly, but writing this now (and being a lot older), I would have played those words and I know I would have gotten a rise out of her.

I was doomed from the start - not a Player and Got No Game.  LOL   ....just a 620 now.

OMG, I thought of THREE stories of how children love Vipers:   (would have to be great car for a Cougar)

1)  Bike Week @ Daytona:  I'm crawling along in the traffic and there is this 12 year old boy who stopped on the sidewalk and watched me drive by - I heard his say to himself "...GTS Viper..." You could see the desire in his eyes.

2)  Slowly passed a school bus and all the kids emptied the far side and everyone was hanging out the windows cheering and screaming as I drove by.

3)  With a friend in Turtle Creek, at a stop light, and we heard this major cheering raucous off in the distance.  We looked and looked and there was this school at least a 100 yards away, where kids were again, out the windows screaming and squealing at the Viper.

Interesting:  children too young to drive by a mile were in love with Vipers which were rare and new.  I don't think you'd find children going nuts of any Datsun (or any other car for that matter.)  Viper was truly unique.  And yes the new Corvette has that 670hp NA 5.5 w/8500 rpm flat crank that is epic, but it's still a Corvette and pretty much looks like a $50k Corvette - again, just another Corvette.

Oh my, this is a long post.   Too easy when speed typing on a real keyboard.

Apologies (!)

Edited by Cardinal Grammeter
  • Like 1

This post made me think...

It seems I get more females asking about the car, on the random, than males. This applies to either of the 1200's or the 411. My theory about females noticing the small car in an area that has an abundance of lifted 4X4 trucks is that they think "there's a guy who is not overcompensating for anything".

Hahaha, yeah right. If only.

• Like 1

My new to me orange and black '77 Jeep Cherokee certainly gets lots of smiles, and mostly from women. Men love it too, but women will talk to me about it. I overheard two ladies at a sushi restaurant talking about it last week. One thought it was a Bronco, the other said, Nooo, it's a Jeep.

My Datsun 320 only got attention from men, which is not what I'm after.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

My Datsun 521  pickup ???? Chick Magnet?

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! I get old guys coming around saying they used to have one.

OR young guys think my truck is cool and they want to 5 link it and Notch the Frame

Yeah, Custom - It.  That's almost like sending it off to the junk yard.  When they are done.  Most people don't want to buy someone else's custom.

BUT, WHERE DO YOU LIVE?  Here in the Rust Belt, these trucks disappeared completely over 20 years ago.   

10 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

My new to me orange and black '77 Jeep Cherokee certainly gets lots of smiles, and mostly from women. Men love it too, but women will talk to me about it. I overheard two ladies at a sushi restaurant talking about it last week. One thought it was a Bronco, the other said, Nooo, it's a Jeep.

My Datsun 320 only got attention from men, which is not what I'm after.

Interesting.  Girls + Trucks is definitely a Thang.  4wd also.  (Probably why all these young aholes ride around in Monstrosity Trucks - they sure would NOT if women did NOT like them.)

Yeah, Viper is NOT the car for picking up girls. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Beer Snob said:

Never had more smiles and thumbs up than in my 320! Seems from all, men, women, and kids alike. Maybe not a magnet of any sort, well, maybe if you count smiles!🍻 Same with the 620

I can see that, the 320 looks like a vehicle from Cars movie.  In fact, the 320 headlights like just how they drew Mater the wrecker.

Buddy gets crazy attention from a Citroen 3CV and Jeremy said he got more attention at the office with that Peel P50.

1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I think the difference between a 320 and a monstrosity truck is the reason "girls" like big trucks. Women like small trucks because they are cute. Girls like big trucks because of the perceived stench of testosterone wafting from them.

I think some girls are seriously into trucks, and of all kinds, Beasts and Cuddly!  

My #2 epic female encounter in my 620 (probably already posted here somewhere...) was at a yard sale where they guy had a 16 year old total jail bate hot daughter:  Daisey Dukes, cowboy boots, cowboy hat, and a shirt tied off to about the size of a bra.  She walked right up to me, got right in my "grille", inappropriately close, and said, "I like your truck!"  I'm looking her in the eyes and immediately said,

"...and I know why!" 

"Why?" 

"Cuz it's Cute!"   

...and that's the end of this story.

Girls like Stuffed Animals so the Cute Little Datsuns are just the ticket!   

It is also true, that as girls grow up, "liking cute" wanes.  (If a woman dresses too cute for her age, there are many issues with that.)

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Thank God that's the end of the story. I wouldn't want to be an accomplice after the fact.

LOL, me too!   One of the voices in my head was screaming:   "Jerry Springer!  Jerry Springer! Jerry Springer!  ..."   

The guys are definitely more shallow.  The chicks simply like the guy's cars.  The guys are trying to play them.  But hey, guys do anything to get chicks so maybe the money invested in a car instead of cool clothes demonstrates a certain.... seriousness???   LOL   I have no idea - I never frequented that world.

....thinking about that John Goodman meme:

"....99 bullets and one less..." like is that supposed to mean something??? 

???

....like maybe he started out with 100 bullets???

How does 100 bullets have anything to do with a semi auto pistol?  # in a box of ammo? 

Can't be that since that would be lame. 

And meme's can't be lame, right?

16 hours ago, Cardinal Grammeter said:

....thinking about that John Goodman meme:

"....99 bullets and one less..." like is that supposed to mean something??? 

???

....like maybe he started out with 100 bullets???

How does 100 bullets have anything to do with a semi auto pistol?  # in a box of ammo? 

Can't be that since that would be lame. 

And meme's can't be lame, right?

I think it came from the song 99 problems from jayz...  I looked up the song had no idea who sang it...

"I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"... 

Okay song, Jay Z from the album 99 Problems

[Chorus]
99 problems, but a bitch ain't one
If you're havin' girl problems, I feel bad for you, son
I got 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one – hit me!

Let me do the math: 

99 problems and bitch ain't one.

If we add bitch back in,

99 problems + 1 bitch = 100 100 problems.

So if I have 100 bullets for my 100 problems, cap the bitch, I'll have 99 bullets - one less problem without ya (bitch).

So what's with the 99?  Back in the 50's I remember "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" singing in school buss.

Mathematicians do all kinds of stuff with 9's.  (I ain't one of 'em.)

• Like 1
On 10/24/2022 at 4:34 AM, Crashtd420 said:

I think it came from the song 99 problems from jayz...  I looked up the song had no idea who sang it...

"I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"... 

Which came from a 1980s song by Billy Squier.

I'm embarrassed that I know that.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Which came from a 1980s song by Billy Squier.

I'm embarrassed that I know that.

Don't be embarrassed. In 1980 I was 30, and I don't remember any titles. When I hear part of the song, or anything else, MAYBE I might remember it. You have a good memory. For several years I worked for a guy that could come up with a phone number, off of the top of his head, of a customer from the past if you gave him a little time. I never listened to most any music, least of all secular music, until I started riding the school bus when I started junior high.

Don

• Like 1