LS1 DATSUN 510 COMPLETE PROJECT

Been a while since I've been on this site and some stuff has changed in the meantime. The plan was to put a SBC iron v8 in it but now I'm putting in a ls 5.3 aluminum block v8 (about 400 lbs) in it. was going to be using a t5 trans which i'm selling and getting a tko 500 or 600 trans so I don't have to worry about it being a weak link. Have a 5.3 aluminum  used running motor from a trail blazer  which I'm about to tear down to a bare block.  The main focus is to keep the car balanced front to rear so that the car has it's great handling these cars are known for. i have a 6" set back at firewall to help with this along with battery relocation to rear and moving fuel tank further rearward and lower in car. There are other things that I will show and cover as this goes along. I want people to know that this is not meant to be a drag car or that i'm throwing away the handling aspect of this car by all means no and trying to enhance it if possible. Pete Brocks car was well donev8 conversion  in a lot of aspects but I'm going a bit more street race car than it was. I want to be able to run it at road america , auto cross, drift events , roll races and street race 1/8 and 1/4 mile all with same car just different  sent ups and or wheel and tire packages. I'm ready for the haters but prefer people that enjoy garage built toys and constructive conversation. (a bit of back ground on car was purchased in 1990 for 300 and was a mess rand restored it with built 1800 sss and won best of show in 1993 southern california datsun show then went to drag strip and ran it and was so slow i took it off the road for engine conversion then life got in the way like kids and other motor sport interests so now i'm finally getting back to it.) Here's one pic of the car now in garage. 

DATSUN.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/9/2022 at 6:39 AM, 62 bugzilla said:

Been a while since I've been on this site and some stuff has changed in the meantime. The plan was to put a SBC iron v8 in it but now I'm putting in a ls 5.3 aluminum block v8 (about 400 lbs) in it. was going to be using a t5 trans which i'm selling and getting a tko 500 or 600 trans so I don't have to worry about it being a weak link. Have a 5.3 aluminum  used running motor from a trail blazer  which I'm about to tear down to a bare block.  The main focus is to keep the car balanced front to rear so that the car has it's great handling these cars are known for. i have a 6" set back at firewall to help with this along with battery relocation to rear and moving fuel tank further rearward and lower in car. There are other things that I will show and cover as this goes along. I want people to know that this is not meant to be a drag car or that i'm throwing away the handling aspect of this car by all means no and trying to enhance it if possible. Pete Brocks car was well donev8 conversion  in a lot of aspects but I'm going a bit more street race car than it was. I want to be able to run it at road america , auto cross, drift events , roll races and street race 1/8 and 1/4 mile all with same car just different  sent ups and or wheel and tire packages. I'm ready for the haters but prefer people that enjoy garage built toys and constructive conversation. (a bit of back ground on car was purchased in 1990 for 300 and was a mess rand restored it with built 1800 sss and won best of show in 1993 southern california datsun show then went to drag strip and ran it and was so slow i took it off the road for engine conversion then life got in the way like kids and other motor sport interests so now i'm finally getting back to it.) Here's one pic of the car now in garage. 

DATSUN.jpg

Your car, your dreams... but. I wouldn't. 

I think you'll regret it afterwards. The torque will mean replacing every mechanical part (probably the IRS too). Once you do that, it won't drive like a 510 anymore. If it was a rusty rat and you had nothing to lose, I'd say go for it. But not with it so nice. You're cutting up a nice street car. Put a SR20DET, 13BT or a KA24DET in it. Easy and fast.  

Edited by slowlearner

The torque can be reduced in v8 by the cam choice , intake design and many other small parts in an engine. I'm already starting to acquire parts for a better purpose built motor that will have a 4.8 crank which also helps reduce torque for the engine. I think the number would be similar on a sr20det hp and tq. 13b off the list because of reliability and cost. The r200 has been proven to be durable in many zcar v8 builds. 

Install V8 then add restricter plate so it equals an SR and not tear itself apart.

On 10/8/2022 at 5:44 PM, mrbigtanker said:

Seen Pete Brocks car and I didn't like it one bit. Very ugly yeah I said it. Do yours better. Only thing cool is it had a NASCAR b built engine I believe good to 750-800 hp.

Post more pics.

I totally agree, just didn't like it. Not running it or him or anyone that did like it down. Just meh.

Go for it.

• Like 1

https://classicmotorsports.com/news/classic-motorsports-car-catcher-brock-510/#

Yeah... now I hate it. Sorry Pete, this car does you no credit.

This is what happens when you move a V8 back a fat foot. Unless engine was changed again it says 300 RWHP 350.

• Like 1

HE SET MOTOR BACK REALLY FAR AND I THIONK SOME OF IT WAS BECAUSE HE USED A IRON BLOCK MOTOR NOT ALUMINUM. i ADDED SOME WEIGHT WITH STEREO TO REAR OF CAR TO HELP OFF SET THE WEIGHT AND NOT HAVE TO MOVE BACK SO FAR ONLY 6" AND MOFIFYING FOOT WELL AREA NOT TO HAVE AS MUCH ROOM AS POSSIBLE. NOT A FAN OF HIS WHEELS EITHER AND MINE ARE GOING TO CHANGE TOO I GOT THE WHEELS ON MY CAR IN THE MID 90S AND IT SHOWS PLUS I'M CHANGING WIDTHS. 

If it was a 350 SBC  they were cast iron boat anchors. Corvette engines 535 (probably had some aluminum parts) regular 350s weer 575 pounds. That's over twice the stock L16 and I imagine the transmission is also heavier. Why a 350 and not an LS?????

I believe the one they used was a later 350 chevy with aluminum heads based on the 90s lt1 motor so yes around 530  and the all aluminum ls based motor is right at 410 to 430 ( depending on accessories )  so i'm surprised they didn't go that route. I think the l16 is about 260 so 140 pounds more.

Edited by 62 bugzilla
18 minutes ago, mojojojo78 said:

That thing is so gross, especially the engine bay. Who wants to pop the hood of a 510 and find a black rattle canned Chevy C10 engine bay, and a poorly done one at that? Don't get me started on that overdone body color that never looked good on a 510, even when done right.

• Like 2

Simply put.... they don't fit. I measured a SBC 305 for my 620. Rad would have to go in the bed. Starter does not clear cross member/torsion bars. I saw one in a mag for a 521. They solved that by a SAS and run it as a 4x4. It was a 327.

This is Marcus Fry's v8 510 that is pretty damn trick and a proven very fast good handling car. A bit more race car than what I'm going for but same theme.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mario+datsun+510+v8&oq=mario+datsun+510+v8&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i299l2.9585j1j8&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=p1wCK2d1KLHrsM

Edited by 62 bugzilla
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, 62 bugzilla said:

This is Marcus Fry's v8 510 that is pretty damn trick and a proven very fast good handling car. A bit more race car than what I'm going for but same theme.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mario+datsun+510+v8&oq=mario+datsun+510+v8&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i299l2.9585j1j8&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=p1wCK2d1KLHrsM

At what point is it not a 510?  What was the proof?  I mean skids are cool but not sure they prove anything handling wise.  Have you seen the video of him trying to drift the LS wagon he built.  They just kept looping it.  V8's are not my thing, sound bad and way to heavy.  500lb aluminum v8 is so much weight over the front axle.  I drove a V8 Z and it made me put a SR in mine, in todays world a K24 would have been better.  I mean if you want to do it go for it but I wouldn't expect anything handling wise out of it.  Don't mean to sound negative.  

On 10/11/2022 at 8:58 AM, Duncan said:

Has even one Datsun/V8 project ever been completed? 

I've think I've seen about 5 or 6 now over the years, and never seen one running yet.

One guy was putting a 305 into a 1200 and he got pretty far, then eventually vaporized.

I should have said any RATSUN project.  I know quite a few have talked about doing it, but nothing here that I am aware of.  So far, on this thread nothing either.  There is a picture of his 510 that reminds me of the Starsky and Hutch Torino.

I hope I'm wrong about this one.  I am a fan of crazy engine swaps.

What is the driving experience you are after?

Do you need to start with a 510 to achieve the end goal?

You are in a community that loves the way small light cars drive.

We love swaps but for a classic import V8 swap I would be thinking something more substantial like a Volvo 200 series, BMW E30 & E36.

Best

Always loved 510's that why I've owned it since 1991 and loved the handling of them but also like going fast and they are way to u underpowered for my taste. Always liked the linear power of a nice v8 unlike the leaky power of a turbo 4 cylinder anything. To top it off ls power is cheap and light. The sr20det weighs the same as a all aluminum 5.3 and way easier and cheaper to make power in the ls power plant. I will be scaling car to keep the 50/50 weight distribution 510 is known for. I understand if it's not everyone's cup off tea.

12 hours ago, 62 bugzilla said:

The sr20det weighs the same as a all aluminum 5.3 and way easier and cheaper to make power in the ls power plant.

Not true aluminum V8 weights about 500 SR weighs 350, K24 weighs less then 300.  Plus SR trans is also light.  

aluminum v8 is 500 with power steering pum and ac and all factory brackets i was going by just complete engine closer to 410 to 420  and maybe the 350 number for sr20det is just engine and the 400 was complete? regardless they are pretty close in weight. agreed the trans will be heavier to handle the extra power. I'm estimating my car complete to weigh 2500 to 2600 which in the car world is very light but in the datsun 510 world is heavy but I think the extra horsepower will make up the difference and some. 

Edited by 62 bugzilla

I will be trying to post more pictures of the car this weekend to show were I'm at now and getting ready to move forward. I just sold my t5 trans that I was going to be using but think it's on the edge to hold even stock ls power and now on the search for a tko500 or tko 600 trans.

Both those weights are bare minimum ready to run including starter, flywheel clutch and exhaust manifolds.  Both could be made lighter using aluminum flywheel and things like that.  SR could drop a lot getting rid of all the cast iron brackets and exhaust but stock they are 150lbs different. 

41 minutes ago, Icehouse said:

Both those weights are bare minimum ready to run including starter, flywheel clutch and exhaust manifolds.  Both could be made lighter using aluminum flywheel and things like that.  SR could drop a lot getting rid of all the cast iron brackets and exhaust but stock they are 150lbs different. 

OK SOUNDS GOOD