LS1 DATSUN 510 COMPLETE PROJECT

I looked at the link to Marcus Fry's 510 and remembered at a magazine article from way back and the issue of fitting the engine changing things a fair bit. I like how Robbie Duarte stretched the wheel base so he wasn't driving from the back seat.  Marcus pushed the rad forward to make it fit but either way the driving and handling is altered. I wonder if you kept the stock ratio of length to width when stretching and widening if you would have the same kind of handling the 510 is noted for.

1gHbsWD.jpg

Y3bHhXy.jpg

I didn't get a picture of page 108.

• Like 1
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As Fry says " just enough metal to make it look like a car." It is NOT a 510 that an LS was put into. It's two front fenders, two doors, a 2 door body and a trunk lid  that used to be on a 510 mounted on a tube frame over an LS drive train and that's about it.

Good use of a body, for sure. I have no problem with this at all. I balk at calling this a 510 though. 

23 hours ago, jeffball610 said:

Lots of negativity here. Do your thing. Make something cool. Have fun. If it's not someone's "cup of tea", they don't need to drink it. Do what makes you happy.

I will and was ready for the haters or negativity it's ok . i'm doing it know matter what and I'm sure some people here will have good and helpful opinions about it once I het the ball rolling. Thanks for the input I love the way you think. I really have no time for negative people it's a waste of time.

22 hours ago, datzenmike said:

As Fry says " just enough metal to make it look like a car." It is NOT a 510 that an LS was put into. It's two front fenders, two doors, a 2 door body and a trunk lid  that used to be on a 510 mounted on a tube frame over an LS drive train and that's about it.

Good use of a body, for sure. I have no problem with this at all. I balk at calling this a 510 though. 

I agree with you on this one and mine won't be quite as extreme and more of a engine trans conversion with a race car feel. I built a baja bug before that was like frys 510 and was just a body on a tube frame and as extreme as you get with ls power. This car will not be as extreme.

baja 1.png

baja.jpg

• Like 3

A fully dressed LS3 with alternator, power steering and A/C compressor weighs in at about 460 lbs. Take away the power steering and A/C and associated brackets, and swap in some headers instead of the cast iron manifolds and you're now at around 410 lbs. Not bad for the power you get.

For what it's worth, I used to build Datsun race motors for a living and I hated V8s. The sound was not great, they never seemed to be balanced properly and the build quality was horrid. But...the LS completely changed my opinion. I now specialize in LS swaps so yeah, I am biased.

I remember Robbie Duarte's car from back then. He lived not far from me in the east bay. The car ran 8 second quarter miles, but was set up as a drag car. I think a 510 with an LS is a great idea. As long as it is done well and tastefully, it should outperform 90% of the 510s on the road today. If special attention is paid to the chassis, I see no reason why this car wouldn't work well in all situations.

Now if you really want to piss people off, swap in a solid rear axle with a triangulated 3 link (and panhard or watts link). Done right, it would handle better than the old IFS, and you wouldn't have to worry about breaking half shafts any more.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Can you call Ken Block's Mustang a Mustang anymore? Why not? Looks like a Mustang.

A 510 is still a 510 even if it's just a skin on a tube chassis.

17 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

A fully dressed LS3 with alternator, power steering and A/C compressor weighs in at about 460 lbs. Take away the power steering and A/C and associated brackets, and swap in some headers instead of the cast iron manifolds and you're now at around 410 lbs. Not bad for the power you get.

For what it's worth, I used to build Datsun race motors for a living and I hated V8s. The sound was not great, they never seemed to be balanced properly and the build quality was horrid. But...the LS completely changed my opinion. I now specialize in LS swaps so yeah, I am biased.

I remember Robbie Duarte's car from back then. He lived not far from me in the east bay. The car ran 8 second quarter miles, but was set up as a drag car. I think a 510 with an LS is a great idea. As long as it is done well and tastefully, it should outperform 90% of the 510s on the road today. If special attention is paid to the chassis, I see no reason why this car wouldn't work well in all situations.

Now if you really want to piss people off, swap in a solid rear axle with a triangulated 3 link (and panhard or watts link). Done right, it would handle better than the old IFS, and you wouldn't have to worry about breaking half shafts any more.

I thought the weights worked out that way as well. I will not have power steering ofr ac only an alternator is needed . 

Like I said before I'm conscious about the weight and will scale car and have moved things around to help for nsure since I do not want to mess up the handling of the car. 

I'm going to stick with IFS and a r200 with 930 cv's and custom axles. I think the week link will be the stub axle and not sure if I'm going to pull the trigger on a billet one or change the hub to something else. I had great success with 930 cv's on my offroad car with 550 hp and massive abuse so they should hang. I did think about a straight axle though.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I have been very busy with life/work but did get a few things done. I worked on engine compartment and trimmed out areas on firewall so a nice straight patch panel can be made for repair. I am removing the whole windshield wiper mechanism in the process based on the fact I don't plan on driving it in the rain and have had good success with properly installed rainx on other cars for the pop up rain storm. I did get the whole engine compartment primed with pare metal etching style primer. I also stripped the motor down to a short block and will be finishing to strip it down to bare block for cleaning over Christmas work break. I scaled the car as it sits and is a little over 1700lbs and will be updating as I add parts and fab work. Hopefully add more pics and updates later in December. 

510 1.jpg

Edited by 62 bugzilla
  • Like 1

LOL saying you won't need wipers because you don't plan to drive in the rain is like saying you won't need brakes because you don't plan on stopping. Check the DOT regs in Wisconsin about failure to have wipers on a road vehicle. At least 'glue' some on the plenum cover.

• Like 2

RAIN X IS A GOOD PRODUCT IF YOU HAVEN'T USED IT ( HIGHLY SUGGEST IT EVEN WITH WIPERS) AND WOULD HAVE TO BE CRAZY DOWNPOUR TO BE ANY ISSUE IN WHICH THE STOCK WIPERS WOULD HAVE AN ISSUE ANYWAY . I'M OK WITH THE RISK. I'M SURE THERE ARE OTHER DOT ISSUES THAT WOULD BE FOUND IF WANTED BESIDE WIPERS MISSING BUT THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP. 

• Like 2

Have you seen this one?

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/2000-datsun-510-cannonball-run-history/

A friend built a Cobra kit car and had to go to CHP for vehicle inspection before registering in California. He was told wipers were not required by law and didn’t put any in the car. Passed CHP registration inspection. 

Another tidbit is that a windshield is not legally required. At least that’s what was told to a someone by CHP after hitting a deer and the windshield was busted. Officer said he couldn’t drive the car with the busted windshield due to visibility. He asked what about no windshield and officer said that was okay. So he kicked the busted windshield out and drove the car home!

17 minutes ago, RLJ said:

Have you seen this one?

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/2000-datsun-510-cannonball-run-history/

A friend built a Cobra kit car and had to go to CHP for vehicle inspection before registering in California. He was told wipers were not required by law and didn’t put any in the car. Passed CHP registration inspection. 

Another tidbit is that a windshield is not legally required. At least that’s what was told to a someone by CHP after hitting a deer and the windshield was busted. Officer said he couldn’t drive the car with the busted windshield due to visibility. He asked what about no windshield and officer said that was okay. So he kicked the busted windshield out and drove the car home!

That's funny. I wonder if he cleaned up his mess first.

The '62 Sprite race car I am building is not going to have a windscreen, but I do plan on registering it. The occasional blast up the mountain would be perfect without a windscreen. Of course, I'll wear a helmet though. Imagine getting pulled over wearing a helmet...

Funny yes!

It was the middle of winter coming down Hiway 50 in a customers car returning from a gambling binge at South Lake Tahoe. 
Customer was waiting at the shop when he showed up. Needless to say he was not happy at all. I had the shop next door and saw him arrive with a ski mask on, snow and icicles hanging off his face and a cigarette in his mouth. Will never forget that sight!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 3:46 PM, 62 bugzilla said:

I have been very busy with life/work but did get a few things done. I worked on engine compartment and trimmed out areas on firewall so a nice straight patch panel can be made for repair. I am removing the whole windshield wiper mechanism in the process based on the fact I don't plan on driving it in the rain and have had good success with properly installed rainx on other cars for the pop up rain storm. I did get the whole engine compartment primed with pare metal etching style primer. I also stripped the motor down to a short block and will be finishing to strip it down to bare block for cleaning over Christmas work break. I scaled the car as it sits and is a little over 1700lbs and will be updating as I add parts and fab work. Hopefully add more pics and updates later in December. 

510 1.jpg

Speaking of not needing the wiper linkage I'm in need of the linkage from the motor to the cowl. Mine are all frozen up on my Goon and am looking for setup to get it going again. Anyone let me know if you have a working one to let go.