• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

I do, but I remembered too late. 

Got things pulled apart and back on. Brakes feel much better than they did, however it pulls to the drivers side. I did notice I'm missing the retainer clip on the passenger side adjuster, drivers side for reference. Maybe I just need to adjust it further but I'd assume no clip means it's just slipping around and won't stay in place.

JCNf5Be.jpeg

Doesn't look like you can get get just the clips from what I saw. Plus I have a pretty nice kit from Mike that is waiting to be installed. (It'll happen eventually... i do need to find a proportioning valve to use though.) 

I did look for the nlsv but maybe I don't have one? Unless it's the small block there?

lO59xJq.jpeg

Also noticed this, probably not supposed to do that...

Is this the same type of thing as in this thread?

https://ratsun.net/topic/31215-driveshaft-carrier-bearing/

Edited by Jskinny
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, Jskinny said:

how hard are they to pull out and replace? I was hearing theyre kind of difficult and need a crazy amount of torque but maybe thats the bearing itself if I dont get the assembly?

It's usually the rubber that fails so you want the whole assembly not just a replacement bearing....

I don't remember how much the nut is torqued too but I don't think it was a really high number.... 

The carrier bearing should come of with a standard puller.... 

Tap it back on to seat it... I usually use some left over pvc pipes that fit... 

Tricky part is holding the driveshaft while trying to remove the nut.. hopefully my write up has some useful info for you, but it was mostly to show a replacement for the non existence 521 carrier bearing....

1 minute ago, hobospyder said:

i'll talk to @]2eDeYe and see if i can talk him into doing a video on replacing a carrier bearing. or i may record me doing mine but it's not gonna be right away. new one should be delivered tomorrow

or i may message you when i'm getting ready to do mine and just say "hey head over"

That step 4 is probably what I was thinking of with the crazy torque. Is that the haynes manual?

Yeah I mean if I can get one ordered that might be cool to do both. You probably don't want to wait too long though.

And either way any step by steps are helpful, video or otherwise.

6 hours ago, Jskinny said:

That step 4 is probably what I was thinking of with the crazy torque. Is that the haynes manual?

Yeah I mean if I can get one ordered that might be cool to do both. You probably don't want to wait too long though.

And either way any step by steps are helpful, video or otherwise.

I texted redeye about doing a video for his channel after posting earlier, I'll be dropping off a driveshaft and a bearing at his place either this weekend or during my commute next week. 

Also I am in no rush with that specific truck, but I may order another one because I have another that may need done seeing as it mat have been underwater like the 3 on the floor

6 hours ago, Jskinny said:

Which one did you go with? Is there any way to just replace the rubber part? 

Screenshot_20240829_183245_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.e505ba63620e45decf2c01bc6085c947.jpg

Here is the one that I ordered. I would've got the timing because I know that brand is good but the price is too much. Don't think I've had any issues with national so far

Screenshot_20240830_012547_Chrome.jpg

Awesome, many thanks.  Yeah I've had Timken recommended before, I think that's what I went with when I was getting the stuff for the brake kit from Mike Klotz.

Oof underwater doesn't sound good! 

• Like 1

@Jskinny  You are totally overthinking this carrier bearing replacement .. 

Replacing a carrier bearing isn't that hard, and can be accomplished with simple had tools , in a few hours if you milk the job . Just keep things in order as they come off, and you're golden.

Watch 

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Like 1

i can dig it , 

i'm not saying half ass it , i'm just saying don't let not knowing how to do something stop you .. I have found,, if rockauto sells you one,, they would most assuredly sell you another if you fuck the first one up.. haha

• Like 2