Dimlight65's Totally Rad 1984 Jaguar

Datsunfreak is going to kill me for posting this but I just cannot let it be unposted any longer!

This is a teaser post because we won't be tackling it very soon, but...

241681499_IMG_20220803_124927759_HDR(1).thumb.jpg.5620478057a64ec8bb7f8596961d6d47.jpg

IMG_20220803_124941424_HDR.thumb.jpg.a968d20e67e7420fce0335ce07b82bf9.jpg

I've wanted one of these ever since they were new.  Well, the opportunity has presented itself and I'm going for it.  The current owner wants to keep the V12 for, I believe, a Rat Rod project, so I need to come up with an alternative... Oh right!  I'll just use that 302 I bought from Datsunfreak!  Check back every now and then because I'm sure I will be amassing parts before we actually start spinning wrenches on it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been a Jag fan for years and in your position would be looking for a 4.2 L 6 and a manual trans to transplant in the car.  Better engine and a good cruising combination that takes less time and money!

• Like 1
19 hours ago, iceman510 said:

LOL, just look one post above yours to see why this link makes me laugh!

TL;DL (too lazy;didn't look) I'd rather walk... no, crawl... on broken glass, than use a GM product.

I may be late to this party (as in the one I'm about to mention, not this thread, onna counta I started it) but these Speedmaster guys are about to get a crap-ton of my money!

I'm especially interested in this!

image.thumb.png.a6f0674cad1f660864c5943de1290649.png

Assembled heads, intake, and valve covers for what one would expect to pay for just bare heads?  Um, yeah!  Sign my happy ass up!

Also, Lord Bezosabub sells this kit as well!

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, dimlight65 said:

IAssembled heads, intake, and valve covers for what one would expect to pay for just bare heads?  Um, yeah!  Sign my happy ass up!

Also, Lord Bezosabub sells this kit as well!

Man, if those are decent quality, that is a great deal....

I don't know why, but the Ford stuff seems to be a bit more expensive than the GM stuff, generally speaking.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Duncan said:

Man, if those are decent quality, that is a great deal....

I don't know why, but the Ford stuff seems to be a bit more expensive than the GM stuff, generally speaking.

Economics of scale would be my guess.  They probably sell four GM kits to each Ford kit.  Ya ort to see the price of this kit for the Dajiban!  Nevermind, I'll just tell you... $2200!

Edited by dimlight65

One thing I noticed after posting the picture (and mentioning the Amazon factoid) was that this is a flat tappet kit.  The hydraulic roller kit is another $300 for some reason.  The single plane manifold kit is $500 more than the flat tappet kit!

4.2 Liter Jaguar engines came stock in the MK X and the E-Type. I have the 3.4 block (original) in my XK140 but with a 3.8 head. Your car also had the option of a 4.2.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, jagman said:

4.2 Liter Jaguar engines came stock in the MK X and the E-Type. Your car also had the option of a 4.2.

On 9/1/2022 at 7:43 AM, jagman said:

in your position would be looking for a 4.2 L 6 and a manual trans to transplant in the car.  Better engine and a good cruising combination that takes less time and money!

I admire your dedication to the marque, and your desire to keep it all Coventry, but this is is getting a 'merican V8. That is a 100% certainty. 😁

And while your case for less work is strong, I think the case for less money is probably not. There's not just parts cost to install (which I still believe is higher for the Jaguar parts), there's parts cost down the road. Were we building a nice boulevard cruiser and not a quasi-racecar, the Jaguar donk certainly has more merit. 👍

Also not to be discounted is the fact that we wouldn't even know where to start looking for the Jaguar bits, whilst we can buy the Ford bits all day long. 

Why the hate for push rod GM? Pretty sure it will outperform a 302 even with extra goodies and do it all day long. Then there is the ease of finding cheap parts and availability. Christ we had the 302 when I was a teenager. It's like putting a flathead V8 in and trying to make it produce 3-4 times what it normally does. Wouldn't an OHC Mustang engine be better? if keeping Ford? What about Chrysler hemi?

Ok, maybe, if someone GAVE me a GM engine... No, I'd pour powdered glass into the oil, tie off the throttle wide open, and sit back to watch the bastard eat itself to death.

Same goes for a Hardley Dumb-Assed-One, but that would be a different thread.