Datsun 620 rear end

flo2877

Hello need some information if anyone here ever put a Datsun rear end assembly.  what modification did you have to do? it is coming from a 78 datsun 620  I am putting a CA18DET on my 1200 sedan and wanted to make the rear diff strong enough to handle the torque of the engine.  I came across a 620 rear end assdembly for sale,  the H165 is so hard to find here in California.  

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '74-'78 B-210s are all H-165 and same width as the 1200 at 51.5"

The truck H-190 is too wide for the 1200 by about 2" per side? Also has 6 bolt rims.

The 510 and '74- 610 wagons are H-190, 4 bolt lug and 53.5" WMS to WMS.  First year 610s and all 710 are H-165 but still wider than the 1200

Datsun B210 came with H150 3rd members, good for about 125 ft lbs of torque & are 51.5" wide.

Limited gear ratios, 3.70 and 3.89 were the two most common.

However your CA18det make more torque then this rear end would handle,

A H165 came in the late 510's and early 200sx's, they are rated at 225 ft lbs of torque and are about 54" wide.

(never been able to find H165 LSD or gear sets)

Most of us 1200 guys struggle with finding Limited Slip Differentials, LSD... that are available for Datsun rear ends.

If your car is running a CA then getting to "hook-up" is the biggest challenge.

This is why not many 84-85 Mazda RX7 rear end left laying about.  Many came with factory LSD, a variety of gear ratios and 

there is enough of the rear axles to cut-down and re-spline.  After narrowing the axle housing, and cutting all the 4 link brackets off.

Many of the Roadster guys went away from H190's because of not being able to get LSD's and used the RX7 rear ends.

You 620 rear end is about 54" wide and a torque rating of 285 ft lbs. and 6 lug wheel pattern, could be re-drilled.

If you run across a solution to this on going challenge, short of 8.8 and 9inch Fords....please post!

Edited by Morrisun
missing word
  • Thanks 1

All 4 bolt rims...

Forgot the S10 200sx is H-165 and the '80-'81 S110 200sx as well. I know the S110 200sx axles will fit my 710. The '82-'83 S110 200sx is H-190 and the first year '84 S12 200sx. 810 and Maxima wagons are H-190 (gearing isn't great, don't know the widths)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 6:28 PM, flo2877 said:

Thanks for all the information everyone. I also found someone selling a ford 8.8 that was made for a 510. Heard the measurement or a 510 is almost alike the 1200. Imma look into that instead.

On 2/10/2022 at 7:28 PM, datzenmike said:

The wagon is 53.5" still a bit wide.

The 510 wagon diff is a good fit widthwise (adds 1" per side) and is a super easy swap. I had one in my 1200 sedan and it worked well. 

For a comprehensive width list, read through this thread:

8 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

The 510 wagon diff is a good fit widthwise (adds 1" per side) and is a super easy swap. I had one in my 1200 sedan and it worked well. 

Same on my 1200 too. 510 wagon diff is almost a bolt in too, mostly just the parking brake needs a bit of messing with.

6 hours ago, KELMO said:

Well this is all very interesting. I just happen to have a goon diff laying around.

FWIW, it's not really worth the weight penalty to swap in a 510 wagon rear end unless you need it for a high horsepower motor. A B210 diff will handle any L/Z motor with minimal fuss, assuming it's not a drag car. When you get into a KA24 (or bigger), then you need the wagon diff. 

Edited by datsunfreak
34 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The S110 200sx switched to the H-190 from the H-165 when it changed from the Z20 to the Z22 engine. So looks like anything over 2 liters.

No, that's just Nissan over-engineering shit.  😁

The H165 can hold up to a Z22/Z24 just fine. Again, not drag racing or running slicks, just hooning on street tires. 

According to "The History of Nissan Motors Corporation" book, up into the 80s Nissan engineers were instructed to make driveline parts (transmission, axle, driveshaft, etc.) able to handle at least 150% of the power the engine could produce. It also claims the engine's lower half had to be able to withstand double the stock horsepower, which is why they all had forged cranks and rods. 

Of course, the CA18E from the mid-80s is where that all fell apart...  😄

• Like 1
9 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

FWIW, it's not really worth the weight penalty to swap in a 510 wagon rear end unless you need it for a high horsepower motor. A B210 diff will handle any L/Z motor with minimal fuss, assuming it's not a drag car. When you get into a KA24 (or bigger), then you need the wagon diff. 

The LB210 (L20B) that Jimmy built has been pounding away on a stock B210 diff for years (10? I think). It definitely will wear it out faster of course but so will beating on it with a mild A14... ask me how I know.

And yeah I went with the 510 diff in the 1200 because KA24.

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

The H165 can hold up to a Z22/Z24 just fine. Again, not drag racing or running slicks, just hooning on street tires. 

According to "The History of Nissan Motors Corporation" book, up into the 80s Nissan engineers were instructed to make driveline parts (transmission, axle, driveshaft, etc.) able to handle at least 150% of the power the engine could produce. It also claims the engine's lower half had to be able to withstand double the stock horsepower, which is why they all had forged cranks and rods. 

Of course, the CA18E from the mid-80s is where that all fell apart...  😄

Absolutely they over engineered them! Just look at the L vs. KA main bearings... KA are on the right....

F4e52N7.jpg

I just would prefer a larger diff if available. Hell the 510 with tiny L16 had an H-190.

20 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

I understand why car makers don't adhere to this philosophy anymore, but I wish they still did.

Case in point - my '03 Dodge 2500 Cummins requires balljoints every 15k miles. I've rebuilt the entire front end of that truck three times since I've owned it. Luckily, my Snap-On balljoint press makes the job easy, but still.

Nissan used to be a class leader. Now look at them.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, datzenmike said:

'96 was when Renault bought Nissan. End of the Z car.

To drag this further off topic, pretty sure it was 2001. Japan's bubble economy popping in 1995/1996 ended the 300ZX/Supra/3000GT, etc, not the Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi alliance.. What the "merger" actually killed was the Skyline GT-R. Then they decided to just rebadge the G35/G37 and sell it as a Skyline in Japan. The Skyline GT-R came back in 2009, but only with a lady's transmission. 

Also, I believe Renault owns 43% of Nissan, not the whole company. In return, Nissan owns a (smaller) portion of Renault. 

I'm not putting you on blast, just saying it's not all Renault's fault they went downhill...

Now, do most Nissans still suck post '95, yes.  😄

Edited by datsunfreak
typo
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Nissan used to be a class leader. Now look at them.

It's pretty damn sad...

When I was looking for a new daily in 2019, I looked at a Frontier just to give them one more chance. Looking at it up close I realized that since the D40 chassis had debuted in 2005, they had barely changed anything. I liked it, but just couldn't bring myself to pay $23k for what is basically a brand new 10 year old truck.  😄

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 2/10/2022 at 12:18 PM, Morrisun said:

Datsun B210 came with H150 3rd members, good for about 125 ft lbs of torque & are 51.5" wide.

Limited gear ratios, 3.70 and 3.89 were the two most common.

However your CA18det make more torque then this rear end would handle,

A H165 came in the late 510's and early 200sx's, they are rated at 225 ft lbs of torque and are about 54" wide.

(never been able to find H165 LSD or gear sets)

Most of us 1200 guys struggle with finding Limited Slip Differentials, LSD... that are available for Datsun rear ends.

If your car is running a CA then getting to "hook-up" is the biggest challenge.

This is why not many 84-85 Mazda RX7 rear end left laying about.  Many came with factory LSD, a variety of gear ratios and 

there is enough of the rear axles to cut-down and re-spline.  After narrowing the axle housing, and cutting all the 4 link brackets off.

Many of the Roadster guys went away from H190's because of not being able to get LSD's and used the RX7 rear ends.

You 620 rear end is about 54" wide and a torque rating of 285 ft lbs. and 6 lug wheel pattern, could be re-drilled.

If you run across a solution to this on going challenge, short of 8.8 and 9inch Fords....please post!

Cusco makes brand new H165 LSDs 

Sam had a H165 behind his SR20VET estimated at 300hp (how bad it left my Spec R S15 SR20DET in the dust.) it held up fine.  It does have an LSD so there is no spider gears to worry about.  

• Like 1