Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, a.d._510_n_ok said:

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2023/10/27/biden-appointed-us-attorney-admits-he-declined-to-prosecute-hunter-his-excuse-is-a-doozy-1407824/ no Cali tax fraud charges for Hunter because the state's AG says they have "insufficient funds" to pursue the case.

But somehow managed to fund programs for all the Illegals in the state - how conveinent.

• Like 3

Why not instead take his guns away and prevented ownership of them and have a lawyer argue why he should be mentally competent enough to be allowed to have them? In fact why not prevent all ownership unless competency is proven on a regular basis? It's always the same, after the fact, friends and family all say "Oh yeah, he had mental health issues lately." If someone sees a backpack left in an airport they would raise the alarm, if someone is driving erratically or they see smoke they would phone 911 and there is a response. So what really happens if you call the authorities about your erratic armed neighbor? There's nothing really in place to do anything because 2nd amendment doesn't mention competency. Without the will to change it's business as usual.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Why not instead take his guns away and prevented ownership of them and have a lawyer argue why he should be mentally competent enough to be allowed to have them? In fact why not prevent all ownership unless competency is proven on a regular basis? It's always the same, after the fact, friends and family all say "Oh yeah, he had mental health issues lately." If someone sees a backpack left in an airport they would raise the alarm, if someone is driving erratically or they see smoke they would phone 911 and there is a response. So what really happens if you call the authorities about your erratic armed neighbor? There's nothing really in place to do anything because 2nd amendment doesn't mention competency. Without the will to change it's business as usual.

I did some reading about this guy.He had a history of mental health issues.He made threats while in the military.Divorced twice and one wife had a restraining order against him.He also voted for Obama.I saw a lot of blame placed on the Republicans for not creating stricter gun control laws which I find quite hypocritical considering Democratic policies on fighting crime nowadays.I just have to wonder who dropped the ball as far as getting the guns taken away from this guy ? This isn't the first time the authorities did nothing when credible threats were made and actually carried out.Can we place some of the blame on the military,FBI and local law enforcement ? Somebody had to know this guy had the potential to do something bad.

• Like 3

Biden et al spends three years demoralizing, demeaning and deconstructing the US military in the name of social justice. US military power is the most neutered its been since the peanut farmer was POTUS. Libs would love to have massive numbers of American boots on the ground in Ukraine and Gaza. They lack the bodies and the public support to make that happen. For the first time in my life a massive attack on Israel by Hamas has been followed up by huge international pro-Palestinian protests and not because of antisemitism but because huge numbers of LEFTISTS view Israel as an apartheid state with Jews being white oppressors of POC. The progressive BLM movement of 2020-21 convinced the entire world that only white folks could be oppressors and that any violence perpetrated by POC is forgivable because of systemic racism inflicted upon them by the mayonnaise demon colonizers. The democrats' chickens are coming home to roost.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, john510 said:

I did some reading about this guy.He had a history of mental health issues.He made threats while in the military.Divorced twice and one wife had a restraining order against him.He also voted for Obama.I saw a lot of blame placed on the Republicans for not creating stricter gun control laws which I find quite hypocritical considering Democratic policies on fighting crime nowadays.I just have to wonder who dropped the ball as far as getting the guns taken away from this guy ? This isn't the first time the authorities did nothing when credible threats were made and actually carried out.Can we place some of the blame on the military,FBI and local law enforcement ? Somebody had to know this guy had the potential to do something bad.

These political blaming cheep shots follow every tragedy like this, and never helps solve the underlying problems they mock.

Other than enforcing the X's restraining order, we don't know if law enforcement was ever ordered to seise his guns at any time. His military commanders made the referral for getting him medical treatment reporting his erratic, violent, psychotic behavior, and making verbal threats of mortal violence to others. Did this raise a big enough red flag? Apparently not. In Maine, the psychiatrist who treated this guy had a duty to report violent threats made by his patient to law enforcement, and to take action to warn and protect potential victims of the danger, similar to the Tarasoff rule.  

For Maine §3300-I. Duty to warn and protect:

"A physician licensed under this chapter has a duty to warn of or to take reasonable precautions to provide protection from a patient's violent behavior if the physician has a reasonable belief based on communications with the patient that the patient is likely to engage in physical violence that poses a serious risk of harm to self or others. The duty imposed under this subsection may not be interpreted to require the physician to take any action that in the reasonable professional judgment of the physician would endanger the physician or increase the threat of danger to a potential victim. 

Clearly this dingbat reached this threshold and the ball was dropped like a hot potato here. Now with the full investigation to come, it's no shock that as usual, everyone responsible for protecting the public, from federal, state, and local law enforcement to health providers, state and fed law makers, all the way up to the Whitehouse have gone into full CYA mode. And once again nothing will change. 

BTW, has anyone heard from Bottomwatch? He spends half of his life there, so I'm sure this tragedy is far more real for him.

Edited by paradime
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 10/26/2023 at 6:21 PM, paradime said:

Nail, meet hammer right there.

I agree, with so many guns already in the hands of irresponsible morons without lack common sense restraint, enforcement of today's "Gun Laws" are as useless as a donkey fart in a dust storm.

As I see it, these are three questions we need to address if we have any hope of slowing mass shootings from being our new norm.

With our healthcare industry profiting from their grossly under staffed, throw pills at the problem approach to mental health, unstable violent people are left to fend for themselves and the problem becomes our responsibility. With the mounting stress of modern life, health care workers are completely overwhelmed and WAY more ill people are being turned out on the street with a hand full of meds. When it comes to protecting the public from harm, I believe our health care system is just throwing gas on the fire with their greed. Should this kind of profit at the cost of public safety be protected under Free Market Capitalism?  And if not, would a Canadian style socialized medicine be any better? 

Fear mongering and violent rhetoric permeates social media, and the only "conspiracy" I see are the content providers algorithms that guid violent wing nuts to violent content. With that much power and influence on our society, should their freedom to pouring more gas on the fire be protected by the 1st amendment? And if not, what acronym can we trust to protect us from this financial greed monster?

When I was a boy learning to shoot, the NRA had no other agenda than to promote safe and responsible gun ownership. Back then, they stressed the importance of safe storage and not leaving ammunition and loaded weapons around your house. Today their primary agenda is to protect their interpretation of the 2nd amendment by blocking any and all attempts for common sense gun control. This includes any mandate for safe storage of firearms. So with that kind of legislative power, is the NRA's fight for broader 2nd Amendment gun rights making us safer, or do they also derive power and profit from throwing more gas on the fire? Even if the majority of Americans support stronger gun laws, would passing new federal laws only be seen as progress by some, and just another step in a long term goal of a complete federal ban on firearms by others? 

I love my country and understand that with my great freedoms comes great responsibility. In today's media terrified over stressed I-Me-My-and F everyone else society, social responsibility is in short supply. Even with this new found freedom of purely subjective moral reasoning, why is no one asking who's profiting from all this madness? In the Land of The Brave we've been brainwashed to be dependent on the system for our safety, and to believe that unrestrained plutocracy is the same as free market capitalism. And so I believe it's complacency that created this mess, and we have the feckless corporate dependent government we deserve. 

It could be the details have not been sorted, because you do not care enough about this issue, to sort them, but "Common Sense Gun Control"(CSGC) is meaningless rhetoric. It is  political smokescreen deployed when facts are too messy, too convoluted, to make a meme worthy point. 

An example: CSGC-Mandate for safe storage-Have you given any thought on how that would be applied? enforced? First, to see if your firearms and ammunition are safely stored, the inspector would need to have a current list of all the firearms and ammunition in your possession. Would there be annual checks? Random checks? The progression, as demonstrated throughout history, is registration begets confiscation. 

I am with you-

"In the Land of The Brave we've been brainwashed to be dependent on the system for our safety, and to believe that unrestrained plutocracy is the same as free market capitalism. And so I believe it's complacency that created this mess, and we have the feckless corporate dependent government we deserve."

The more firearms are restricted in society, the more, you are dependent on society. The knee jerk response to this is "The Government is not trying to take your guns." Except the sitting President has stated that the Government will come and take your guns. A direct attack on gun owners is possible but would be stupid. In the past I would yield that door to door gun confiscation should not be a legitimate concern, but with the current political climate, it seems a viable. 

But gun rights are embedded in the fabric of America and it seems highly unlikely a politician would seek a direct war. It should be remembered that firearms are not illegal to own in Great Britain,  the back ground checks, training, certifications, taxes, fees, etc. etc. etc. make owning a firearm only possible for the rich. Which is a viable argument, more crime is committed with firearms (and without) by the poor and lower class. If firearms are regulated to the point where only the affluent can afford them, then there will be less firearm crime. Of course, in addition to the wealthy, criminals will retain firearms and use them to victimize the poor/lower/middle class, but those scared of guns don't care about that.

Perhaps you have noticed the increase of "new" trigger locks, gun locks and gun safes on the market; the proliferation of gun training centers? The aforementioned businesses are looking to become very profitable if or when "Certified" training or "Approved" gun safes become "mandated". As you pointed out, follow the money. 

To be effective for home defense, a firearm must be part of a system, but within that system it must be dependable, quickly and easily accessible, and fully functional. Some might be comfortable  placing the safety of their families in the hands of the safe manufacturer or gun trigger lock and I respect their right to take that risk. I do not wish to risk mine. Firearms are stored in my house, as they were stored in my father's house, as they were stored in his father's house (100+ years of storage without incident)- cleaned, lubricated, concealed but accessible and loaded. A firearm for emergencies that cannot be quickly and easily accessed in emergencies is useless. An unloaded firearm is a poor club (despite Hollywood depictions). Finally, the NRA safe storage guidelines were suggestions and if the number 1 rule is followed-"Treat every gun as if it were loaded at all times" where and how the firearm is stored isn't significant. (Father NRA instructor)

Returning to CSGC: Guns laws are complex and nuanced and are not captured with catch phrases. We might find some points of common ground, but I am absolute on this issue. Given the constant overreach of governmental factions e.g. CA, NY, I will use my insignificant are mostly ceremonial political capital to endorse fully and without reservation any legislation, regulation, political official or candidature backed by the NRA. Ending with some mostly meaningless rhetoric. From my cold dead hands...  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, frankendat said:

It could be the details have not been sorted, because you do not care enough about this issue, to sort them, but "Common Sense Gun Control"(CSGC) is meaningless rhetoric. It is  political smokescreen deployed when facts are too messy, too convoluted, to make a meme worthy point. 

An example: -Mandate for safe storage-Have you given any thought on how that would be applied? enforced? First, to see if your firearms and ammunition are safely stored, the inspector would need to have a current list of all the firearms and ammunition in your possession. Would there be annual checks? Random checks? The progression, as demonstrated throughout history, is registration begets confiscation. 

I am with you-

"In the Land of The Brave we've been brainwashed to be dependent on the system for our safety, and to believe that unrestrained plutocracy is the same as free market capitalism. And so I believe it's complacency that created this mess, and we have the feckless corporate dependent government we deserve."

The more firearms are restricted in society, the more, you are dependent on society. The knee jerk response to this is "The Government is not trying to take your guns." Except the sitting President has stated that the Government will come and take your guns. A direct attack on gun owners is possible but would be stupid. In the past I would yield that door to door gun confiscation should not be a legitimate concern, but with the current political climate, it seems a viable. 

But gun rights are embedded in the fabric of America and it seems highly unlikely a politician would seek a direct war. It should be remembered that firearms are not illegal to own in Great Britain,  the back ground checks, training, certifications, taxes, fees, etc. etc. etc. make owning a firearm only possible for the rich. Which is a viable argument, more crime is committed with firearms (and without) by the poor and lower class. If firearms are regulated to the point where only the affluent can afford them, then there will be less firearm crime. Of course, in addition to the wealthy, criminals will retain firearms and use them to victimize the poor/lower/middle class, but those scared of guns don't care about that.

Perhaps you have noticed the increase of "new" trigger locks, gun locks and gun safes on the market; the proliferation of gun training centers? The aforementioned businesses are looking to become very profitable if or when "Certified" training or "Approved" gun safes become "mandated". As you pointed out, follow the money. 

To be effective for home defense, a firearm must be part of a system, but within that system it must be dependable, quickly and easily accessible, and fully functional. Some might be comfortable  placing the safety of their families in the hands of the safe manufacturer or gun trigger lock and I respect their right to take that risk. I do not wish to risk mine. Firearms are stored in my house, as they were stored in my father's house, as they were stored in his father's house (100+ years of storage without incident)- cleaned, lubricated, concealed but accessible and loaded. A firearm for emergencies that cannot be quickly and easily accessed in emergencies is useless. An unloaded firearm is a poor club (despite Hollywood depictions). Finally, the NRA safe storage guidelines were suggestions and if the number 1 rule is followed-"Treat every gun as if it were loaded at all times" where and how the firearm is stored isn't significant. (Father NRA instructor)

Returning to CSGC: Guns laws are complex and nuanced and are not captured with catch phrases. We might find some points of common ground, but I am absolute on this issue. Given the constant overreach of governmental factions e.g. CA, NY, I will use my insignificant are mostly ceremonial political capital to endorse fully and without reservation any legislation, regulation, political official or candidature backed by the NRA. Ending with some mostly meaningless rhetoric. From my cold dead hands...  

I care enough about this issue not to buy either sides chicken little propaganda. Unlike spoon fed media sheeple, I follow the money, fact check the political rhetoric, and research multiple sources of data.  I live in an urban environment in one of the "faction" states and a place the puppet show media tells you is a crime infested shit whole. I don't live in fear of my neighbors or my government. In fact, I keep my guns locked up for my families safety, because that's what my father and the NRA taught me to do 50 years ago. On the advice of my Tx cousin who works for Homeland Security, I now have a Louisville Slugger next to my bed.

At it's highest point the NRA made $379 mill and the firearms industry made $51.3 billion. Today, most people can see we have a problem that needs to be addressed, and still the NRA and gun lobby's rhetoric is "CSGC puts us in danger, but more guns will make us safer." Ask yourself, who profits from this logic?

Speaking of overreach of governmental factions, here are the number of gun related deaths per 100K state residents in 2021:

California, 9

New York 5.4

Idaho, 16.5

Now ask yourself, who has CSGCs?

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/gun-deaths-per-capita-by-state

4 hours ago, paradime said:

I care enough about this issue not to buy either sides chicken little propaganda. Unlike spoon fed media sheeple, I follow the money, fact check the political rhetoric, and research multiple sources of data.  I live in an urban environment in one of the "faction" states and a place the puppet show media tells you is a crime infested shit whole. I don't live in fear of my neighbors or my government. In fact, I keep my guns locked up for my families safety, because that's what my father and the NRA taught me to do 50 years ago. On the advice of my Tx cousin who works for Homeland Security, I now have a Louisville Slugger next to my bed.

At it's highest point the NRA made $379 mill and the firearms industry made $51.3 billion. Today, most people can see we have a problem that needs to be addressed, and still the NRA and gun lobby's rhetoric is "CSGC puts us in danger, but more guns will make us safer." Ask yourself, who profits from this logic?

Speaking of overreach of governmental factions, here are the number of gun related deaths per 100K state residents in 2021:

California, 9

New York 5.4

Idaho, 16.5

Now ask yourself, who has CSGCs?

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/gun-deaths-per-capita-by-state

But have you considered that California and NY would be better off if more criminals were put down in the act? Maybe Idaho just has a better straight-to-their-maker percentage...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, thisismatt said:

But have you considered that California and NY would be better off if more criminals were put down in the act? Maybe Idaho just has a better straight-to-their-maker percentage...

Some would never consider that.We had a news report here in San Diego claiming crime numbers are down in the city.Bullshit.What we have is less people reporting crime because they know it's a waste of time and we have less prosecutions to make the stats look better.Less arrests and prosecution will obviously make the numbers look better.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, john510 said:

F9iXUxqW8AESgo-.jpg.800fc8df6514aa984c2d7cf6a5f1463a.jpg

So we're supposed to believe that removing these 5 cities would lower the entire US 186 positions for highest murder rate in the word? Have you considered this might be cherry picking data to support some BS political rhetoric? 

Murder Rates (per 100k citizens) vs total count

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/murder-rate-by-country

Country
Homicide Rate Homicide Count Year
El Salvador 52.02 3,340 2018
Jamaica 43.85 1,287 2018
Lesotho 43.56 897 2015
Honduras 38.93 3,732 2018
Belize 37.79 142 2017
Venezuela 36.69 10,598 2018
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines 36.54 40 2016
South Africa 36.40 21,036 2018
Saint Kitts and Nevis 36.09 18 2012
Nigeria 34.52 64,201 2016
Bahamas 31.96 122 2017
Trinidad and Tobago 30.65 420 2015
Mexico 29.07 36,685 2018
Anguilla 28.34 4 2014
Saint Martin 27.73 10 2016
Brazil 27.38 57,358 2018
Dominica 26.59 19 2017
Colombia 25.34 12,586 2018
Guatemala 22.50 3,881 2018
Saint Lucia 21.44 39 2018
Puerto Rico 21.09 641 2018
Montserrat 20.28 1 2012
Central African Republic 20.12 913 2016
Curacao 19.04 26 2007
Tuvalu 18.62 2 2012
Namibia 17.68 388 2012
Saint Pierre and Miquelon 15.77 1 2009
Botswana 15.25 303 2010
South Sudan 14.87 1,504 2012
Guyana 14.25 111 2018
French Guiana 13.18 30 2009
Seychelles 12.54 12 2016
Uruguay 12.06 416 2018
Eswatini 11.56 130 2017
Costa Rica 11.26 563 2018
Palau 11.17 2 2018
Antigua and Barbuda 11.06 10 2012
Grenada 10.82 12 2017
Uganda 10.52 4,497 2018
Iraq 10.07 3,339 2013
Dominican Republic 10.05 1,068 2018
Barbados 9.77 28 2018
Papua New Guinea 9.75 713 2010
Panama 9.39 392 2018
Ethiopia 8.79 8,153 2012
British Virgin Islands 8.33 2 2006
Cayman Islands 8.22 5 2014
Russia 8.21 11,964 2018
Bermuda 8.14 5 2017
Peru 7.91 2,487 2017
Kiribati 7.52 8 2012
Zimbabwe 7.48 981 2012
Nicaragua 7.19 453 2016
Paraguay 7.14 497 2018
Yemen 6.77 1,703 2013
Haiti 6.68 743 2018
Afghanistan 6.66 2,474 2018
Tanzania 6.48 3,439 2016
Philippines 6.46 6,895 2018
Bolivia 6.22 686 2016
Ukraine 6.18 2,751 2017
Mongolia 6.18 196 2018
Burundi 6.05 635 2016
Mayotte 5.93 12 2009
Ecuador 5.80 991 2018
Guadeloupe 5.75 23 2016
Turks and Caicos Islands 5.65 2 2014
Suriname 5.43 31 2017
American Samoa 5.38 3 2016
Zambia 5.37 853 2015
Argentina 5.32 2,362 2018
Greenland 5.32 3 2016
Sudan 5.15 1,702 2008
Kazakhstan 5.06 915 2017
Cuba 5.05 572 2016
*United States* 4.96 16,214 2018
Kenya 4.93 2,533 2018
Angola 4.85 1,217 2012
Lithuania 4.57 128 2018
Niger 4.43 788 2012
Chile 4.40 825 2018
Latvia 4.36 84 2018
Turkmenistan 4.22 203 2006
Moldova 4.10 166 2018
Timor Leste 4.10 49 2015
Marshall Islands 3.98 2 1994
Pakistan 3.88 8,241 2018
Solomon Islands 3.77 19 2008
Mozambique 3.51 849 2011
Cook Islands 3.49 1 2012
Liberia 3.26 135 2012
Sao Tome and Principe 3.25 6 2011
New Caledonia 3.20 8 2009
Samoa 3.15 6 2013
India 3.08 41,651 2018
Tunisia 3.06 332 2012
Gibraltar 2.98 1 2010
Mauritius 2.92 37 2018
Martinique 2.77 11 2009
Liechtenstein 2.64 1 2018
Turkey 2.59 2,133 2018
Thailand 2.58 1,787 2017
Rwanda 2.58 293 2015
Egypt 2.55 2,207 2012
Guam 2.50 4 2011
Iran 2.50 1,936 2014
Lebanon 2.49 171 2018
Hungary 2.49 242 2017
Sri Lanka 2.42 514 2018
Belarus 2.39 226 2018
Bangladesh 2.37 3,830 2018
Fiji 2.31 20 2014
Nepal 2.30 627 2016
Albania 2.29 66 2018
Myanmar 2.26 1,198 2016
Montenegro 2.23 14 2018
Georgia 2.22 89 2018
Azerbaijan 2.20 219 2018
Kyrgyzstan 2.19 138 2018
Malaysia 2.13 627 2013
Estonia 2.12 28 2018
Ghana 2.09 609 2017
Aruba 1.93 2 2014
Cambodia 1.84 268 2011
Kuwait 1.82 61 2012
Reunion 1.82 15 2009
Malawi 1.81 279 2012
Canada 1.76 651 2018
Sierra Leone 1.73 124 2015
Armenia 1.69 50 2018
Belgium 1.69 193 2017
Tajikistan 1.64 126 2011
Finland 1.63 90 2018
Malta 1.59 7 2018
Vietnam 1.53 1,358 2011
Israel 1.49 123 2017
Morocco 1.42 510 2018
Cameroon 1.39 341 2017
Algeria 1.36 542 2015
Jordan 1.36 133 2017
Bulgaria 1.30 92 2018
Romania 1.28 250 2018
Saudi Arabia 1.27 419 2017
Cyprus 1.26 15 2018
Burkina Faso 1.25 240 2017
Serbia 1.23 108 2018
United Kingdom 1.20 809 2018
North Macedonia 1.20 25 2018
France 1.20 779 2018
Bhutan 1.19 9 2018
Bosnia and Herzegovina 1.17 39 2018
Guinea Bissau 1.15 21 2017
Slovakia 1.14 62 2018
Uzbekistan 1.14 363 2017
Benin 1.13 126 2017
Sweden 1.08 108 2018
Denmark 1.01 58 2018
Tonga 0.97 1 2012
Austria 0.97 86 2018
Germany 0.95 788 2018
Greece 0.94 99 2018
Australia 0.89 222 2018
Iceland 0.89 3 2018
Syria 0.88 149 2018
Ireland 0.87 42 2018
Taiwan 0.82 192 2015
Portugal 0.79 81 2018
New Zealand 0.74 35 2017
Poland 0.73 277 2018
Maldives 0.72 3 2013
Hong Kong 0.65 48 2018
Spain 0.62 290 2018
South Korea 0.60 309 2018
Switzerland 0.59 50 2018
Netherlands 0.59 100 2018
Croatia 0.58 24 2018
Italy 0.57 345 2018
China 0.53 7,525 2018
Bahrain 0.52 7 2014
Brunei 0.49 2 2013
Palestine 0.49 24 2018
Slovenia 0.48 10 2018
Norway 0.47 25 2018
United Arab Emirates 0.46 44 2017
Indonesia 0.43 1,150 2017
French Polynesia 0.38 1 2009
Qatar 0.37 9 2014
Luxembourg 0.34 2 2017
Oman 0.27 13 2018
Senegal 0.27 39 2015
Japan 0.26 334 2018
Singapore 0.16 9 2018
Isle of Man     2016
Andorra     2015
Monaco     2015
San Marino     2011

Peru

4 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Some would never consider that these are murder rates and not justifiable self defense.