BEST LIVE AXLE W/ LSD AND DISC BRAKES?

Anyone have any suggestions for alternative rear axles that came with a LSD and disc brakes? Something light and preferably Japanese, but whatever.

The typical ones Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE and Corolla GTS are getting hard to come by and actual Datsun ones are hens teeth.

British cars or captive imports? 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one. Four pinion 4.625 clutch LSD, H233.... or larger than a Ford 9"...... and HEAVY!!!!! Also available in 4.375 and there was a rear disc brake option for them. I think the Pathfinder axles will swap into the Hardbody but don't quote me. WD21 Pathfinder was coil spring and link but both LSDs will fit the D21 Hardbody axle housing which was leaf spring.  Sometime around '95 or 6 the bolts for the 3rd member changed from 10 to 12??? or something. So beware early 3rd members into later housings. You should be able to swap the ring and crown gears for more sensible 3.90s or 4.11s.  Did I mention that that two strong people would have trouble carrying a Pathfinder axle???

• Like 1

Why not just buy an H190 LSD out of Japan, and put it in your carrier ?

The H190 LSDs were used in several sedans up to 2008, and OS Giken offers their H190 as a special order item still to this day,

basically due to the fact that it is almost identical the R200.

These are the truck spline fitment, and only require a spacer between the axles to work in the truck.

Typically go for $400-$600 in Japan.

The OS Giken LSDs will cost about $1500.

p1.jpg?ct=044d7152010d

• Like 2

I have a pathfinder axle. Not a good fit for a 1200 or 210. Too big, too heavy and 6 bolt...

@G-Duax All I have is H145 , H150 AND H165 carriers... I don't think the H190 carrier will fit.

Edited by datsuntech
  • Like 1

On the non-Japanese side a 2WD S10 rear axle can be converted to disc for a reasonable price. 

One of the cheaper ones for LSD options and gear sets if you are open to building up the rearend.

You do give up having a removable center section with these though.

200SXs are harder to come by than RX-7s and Corollas... Neither of those came with LSDs. 

Never thought about an S10. I'll have to do some research on those. No idea what size the diff is. 

Edited by datsuntech
9 hours ago, datsuntech said:

200SXs are harder to come by than RX-7s and Corollas... Neither of those came with LSDs. 

Never thought about an S10. I'll have to do some research on those. No idea what size the diff is. 

7.5 ring gear

• Like 1
10 hours ago, datsuntech said:

Not the S10 they were only H-165 and open.

I was referring to the fit. An '82-'83 S110 and '84 S12 I believe are narrow enough to fit a B-210 and are a heavier H-190 or 7.48". The LSD can be bought separately as G Doux mentioned. There are truck H-190s with LSD but not even close to fitting. Fit is everything, no one wants to shorten axles or the housing.

5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Not the S10 they were only H-165 and open.

I was referring to the fit. An '82-'83 S110 and '84 S12 I believe are narrow enough to fit a B-210 and are a heavier H-190 or 7.48". The LSD can be bought separately as G Doux mentioned. There are truck H-190s with LSD but not even close to fitting. Fit is everything, no one wants to shorten axles or the housing.

I should have been more clear. Chevy S10... Like I said the S110 and '84 S12 are harder to come by around here than RX-7s and AE86s.

I wish I had kept the diffs from my old S110s but they never came with a LSD anyway. (at least not in this country) Also I'm a cheapskate, so buying a $1000 LSD is never going to happen. 

I was racking my brain for other factory options of light diffs with LSD, but couldn't come up with many. That's why I put it to the collective knowledge of Ratsun...

The Chevy S10 is interesting as it is a lighter diff and chevy LSDs are exactly expensive. I have no need to have a removable pumpkin so that's not an issue.. Disc brakes, not sure what they might have come on as I like to use off the shelf parts. No need to reinvent the wheel. V6 Camaro? 4 cyl S-series truck? Vega? What about Ford? Pinto? Ranger 4cyl? 

I guess I have a lot of googling to do.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm open to all suggestions..  

Edited by datsuntech

A little heavy.... I'm thinking Ford 7.5 from a Ranger.  Cheap. Not super wide and easily found. Also can be found with a LSD.

16 minutes ago, hosestop@msn.com said:

Ford 8.8 narrowed.

Edited by datsuntech

How about an Alfa Romeo spider diff?  circa 80’s.  Discs, lsd in most. Autos came with 3.5, manuals came with 4.1 and 4.5 ratios. cheap and I believe parts are still available to rebuild.  Not sure if I would call it the “best”, but I would say it would handle a street driven a- series 1200 or 210. Roughly measure 53ish inches from disc to disc. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, hosestop@msn.com said:

Got 8.8 from a mustang narrowed and installed a single traction bar slightly off center with heim joint in a SR20det wagon ,also had to cut out under seat area for bigger dif. will try and find pics .

Way to strong for what I need, but definitely interested in pics. 

On 3/21/2020 at 11:01 PM, rusty12ver said:

How about an Alfa Romeo spider diff?  circa 80’s.  Discs, lsd in most. Autos came with 3.5, manuals came with 4.1 and 4.5 ratios. cheap and I believe parts are still available to rebuild.  Not sure if I would call it the “best”, but I would say it would handle a street driven a- series 1200 or 210. Roughly measure 53ish inches from disc to disc. 

I'm going to have to check that out. I've seen a couple in the junkyard.

Sometimes the custom option is the best way. So many boxes checked and built to the spec you need. All in, probably $3500 complete with R&P, LSD, shafts, brakes, etc.

How much time and money will you spend on a junkyard axle to get the right carrier, the gears you want and upgrade the brakes? Probably close to $2000 or more.

I like the custom axle option.

2 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Sometimes the custom option is the best way. So many boxes checked and built to the spec you need. All in, probably $3500 complete with R&P, LSD, shafts, brakes, etc.

How much time and money will you spend on a junkyard axle to get the right carrier, the gears you want and upgrade the brakes? Probably close to $2000 or more.

I like the custom axle option.

My time is just that. My time, I don't count that in. I used to build diffs and driveshafts for heavy duty so slapping together a bunch of junkyard parts is no big deal. In fact I kind of enjoy it when I'm not on the clock.

• Like 2