1967 Galaxie 500 Project, aka Jules

Being in precision manufacturing for such a long time I have had the brain lock and lose productivity because I was stuck thinking things were not good enough when it was well within engineered tolerances.

I struggle in daily hobbies from this. I have to walk away and come back to see that I did a decent job. See the forest through the trees. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/18/2021 at 6:59 AM, dimlight65 said:

Switching to "Dr. Check" is NOT the same as "Cutting Out Dr. Pepper" by the way!😝🤣

I remeber visiting my good friend In Austin.  When he lived here in So Cal, he was a "Dr Pepper" drinker.  He found a generic version called "Dr Tex" locally..

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Duncan said:

I think with the panel painted and populated with gauges, it's gonna look cool.

Weather currently says 68-70F on Saturday (paint needs 65+), so hopefully I can get it sprayed then. If so, I can at least mock it all up to see how it looks. 👍

If that goes well, it will all get bolted in permanently next week. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Mattndew76 said:

65-67

FWIW, I think the '67 looks sleeker/sexier, but the '65 and '66 are a little bit easier to find parts for, since they share a lot of sheet metal/trim with each other. 

Also, I have seen a few suspension parts listed as 65-66, but they also work on a '67. 

I thought long and hard about doing the Crown Vic frame swap like you did with the truck, but with a 4" difference in wheelbase, and the Galaxie having a decent suspension design stock, I chose not to. But still kinda wish I did...   😄

I don't think stretching it a few inches would be tough, but I also never checked the frame width of each. I know the track width is roughly 2" wider so it should be close...

14 hours ago, Mattndew76 said:

Taking the 4" inches out of the Vic frame wasnt hard to do, or difficult to align. 

Yeah, but with the Galaxie you'd have to add 4", not remove it. I have shortened two, and if you sort of Z cut them, it's "easy". Haven't tried to lengthen one, yet...  😁

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Mattndew76 said:

Yeah...You would need some metal broke to the same profile, insert an inner sleeve, and external lap gussets

Yeah, an inner sleeve was my thought too.  👍

Or buy two.  😁

Or just cut 4" out of a frame and weld it into another frame (with inner sleeves). 

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

late model Lincoln Town Car

The Lincoln just might also come with bigger brakes than the Vic (unless police pkg) so there's another benefit worth thinking about. Was the Town car also equipped with rear air bags??

On 1/7/2022 at 2:05 PM, EDM620 said:

The Lincoln just might also come with bigger brakes than the Vic (unless police pkg) so there's another benefit worth thinking about. Was the Town car also equipped with rear air bags??

The Vic came with versions with springs or bags. Lincolns only had bags in the back (luxury and I haven't seen any with rear springs) The Police interceptors have better sport suspensions, and the limited slip rear-ends. I looked for an interceptor but everyone wanted way too much for a clapped roller. The Lincoln's are less expensive in my area.  

On 1/7/2022 at 4:05 PM, EDM620 said:

Was the Town car also equipped with rear air bags??

Lincolns are bagged in the rear, but there are several inexpensive conversion kits to use Crown Vic springs instead. It's usually about $200 to convert with all new parts. 

21 hours ago, Mattndew76 said:

The Police interceptors have... limited slip rear-ends. 

This, but I believe you can also swap in the guts from a LSD Explorer diff (better gear ratios). 

looked for an interceptor but everyone wanted way too much for a clapped roller. The Lincoln's are less expensive in my area.  

No kidding. Like half the price. I've seen dozens of running Lincolns for $1000 or less. Even the rough CVs here are $1500-2000 and up.

I also have to think the Lincoln might have had an easier life compared to an interceptor.  😄

• Like 2

The Police interceptors have better sport suspensions, and the limited slip rear-ends... The Lincoln's are less expensive in my area.  

FYI, just looked it up and the LWB Lincoln was available with the 3.55 locking diff from the Interceptor. It would definitely be harder to find one of those, but they are out there. Lincolns came with either a 3.27:1 or 3.55:1, either would be good ratios for decent speediness. 

Crown Vics are either 2.73:1 (most common ratio), or 3.27:1 (LSD or open diff), and a 3.55:1 LSD (police package). 

Not trying to sell anybody on either, but since I know I'd be upgrading everything that makes the cop suspension better (springs/shocks/bushings), then a Lincoln seems like a more prudent buy?

• Like 2

Weather finally got up to 70ish yesterday afternoon so I decided to roll the dice. It came out decent, not super uniform, but it will still probably be the prettiest part on the car...  😄

20220113_204205.jpg.f1c6d1975caa5620a666e663e09859a9.jpg

Truthfully, that big section on the lower right side, and the bottom edge, is all that will be really visible when it's done, and it came out nice. I did, for extra insurance, borrow a hair dryer to help it along and I'm glad I did. 👍

I think the black wrinkle and carbon fiber will go good together

20220113_204236.jpg.44c819582c35824328a5f9c9561d9e5e.jpg

And yes, I really need to clean off my work table... 😄

• Like 1

Had a quick look back but don't see if you said what gauges you plan on using. Are you going to put in signals and hi-beam indicator? Didn't notice any relavant markings on your mock-up.

I'm about ready to bite the bullet on my gauges, still tossing about whether I go with black faces or white, leaning heavy to the black face with white markings. Staying within the limits of the 620 instrument panel means I'm limited to no bigger than 3 3/8". I had considered the (old) Jeep style large cluster gauge with built-in fuel & temp and just idiot lights for oil & brake plus signals and hi-beam, but because of large size would have required me to do a major custom on the dash which isn't where I want to be spending my time, plus no ready match for a tach. Photo of that gauge cluster doesn't want to load up...

• Like 1
  • datsunfreak changed the title to 1967 Galaxie 500 Project, aka Jules