• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Netshark993 said:

That car came with the 240 as an option, the 240 was a shorter stroke 300, iirc the block is the same.

I should have clarified better. It's not that they don't fit at all, just not well. It's a very big and long engine, puts more weight out in front of the axle (bad IMO), and doesn't have the aftermarket support of a Windsor. It was not ideal for me, but it's cool. 👍

I would love to do a 300 in an older truck (67-72). With a manual trans and some upgrades/mods, it could be really fun. 

9 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

I should have clarified better. It's not that they don't fit at all, just not well. It's a very big and long engine, puts more weight out in front of the axle (bad IMO), and doesn't have the aftermarket support of a Windsor. It was not ideal for me, but it's cool. 👍

I would love to do a 300 in an older truck (67-72). With a manual trans and some upgrades/mods, it could be really fun. 

That makes sense, I have a 289 in mine, currently looking for the right deal on an EFI 300 w/ a 5 speed for mine to swap it with.

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

How 'bout a 460 blown big block?

It'll pass anything but a gas station, but the road better be straight...  😋

I did consider a 460, but it's hefty weight (adding an additional 250 pounds to the car), and limited options for a manual transmission killed it for me. 

Edited by datsunfreak

IMO as grand as the blown BB would be, keeping the front end lighter on the car would be preferable unless you're only going to drag race it.

Now 4 Weber downdraughts on a 289...

No Reserve: Four Weber 48 IDA Carburetors w/Cobra-Branded Intake Manifold for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $4,800 on August 8, 2022 (Lot #80,866) | Bring a Trailer

11 hours ago, EDM620 said:

keeping the front end lighter on the car would be preferable unless you're only going to drag race it.

This. I like drag racing, but the 5" heels are killing my feet...

11 hours ago, EDM620 said:

Now 4 Weber downdraughts on a 289...

I think that might sell for more than my car is worth...  😋

8 hours ago, Duncan said:

Yeah, but think of the glorious burnouts…

I could always put a pair of stock steelies and some 185s on the back for that...  🔥

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 3/13/2023 at 10:50 AM, datsunfreak said:

I was thinking triple sidedrafts...  😁

20200205143534-13200383-me.jpg

Is that for a 300? holy shit. Have you seen the madman who took 2 LS heads, cut the end cylinder off, and welded it back together to slap on a 300?

As for other options I'm starting to see 5.0 coyotes pop up for sub $1k nowadays/

11 hours ago, Netshark993 said:

Is that for a 300? holy shit. 

Yes sir. 👍

Have you seen the madman who took 2 LS heads, cut the end cylinder off, and welded it back together to slap on a 300?

No sir, I have not. I did see a fella cut two KA24DE heads in half and put them on an L28, though. 😋

As for other options I'm starting to see 5.0 coyotes pop up for sub $1k nowadays/

As are the turbo 3.5L V6s, which I think is a better performance option "bang-for-the-buck" wise. I would have loved to do even a turbo 4 from a late model Mustang, but they are just too expensive still. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 7:29 AM, datsunfreak said:

As are the turbo 3.5L V6s, which I think is a better performance option "bang-for-the-buck" wise. I would have loved to do even a turbo 4 from a late model Mustang, but they are just too expensive still. 

What about a Gen V 4.3? Iirc they're all aluminum, LS based and can handle boost like an LS. 

On 3/30/2023 at 4:57 PM, datsunfreak said:

Decided I wanted to use my 17s on my 240Z, so I am trying something a little more traditional on this, albeit in a non-traditional size. 😁

image.jpeg.6ab412f4514351ca4d0133337efd59aa.jpeg

I like it! I was just testing fitment on mine while it's still in the air. I went with a Toyo proxes st III in 235/65R17

Rb3Yo5N_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

iqmngzg_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Bonus point if you get the reference from the tire lettering 😁

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Netshark993 said:

It's rubbing really bad up front. Gonna have to roll the fender liners. 

I think they are bolted onto the outside of the fender lip? I was thinking about just cutting the liners, then rolling the fender lips in? The cut would be fairly invisible from the engine bay side.

Also, the bolts holding the liner to the fender are huge, and taking the center bolts out may help alleviate the rubbing?

These 18s on mine don't have the gangster offset of my old wheels, so no rubbing issues now. Which was part of the reason for the switch. 😁

46 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

Also, the bolts holding the liner to the fender are huge, and taking the center bolts out may help alleviate the rubbing?

These 18s on mine don't have the gangster offset of my old wheels, so no rubbing issues now. Which was part of the reason for the switch. 😁

I'm rubbing on the side of the inner liner when I hit bumps, the inner liner has like a step to it, and I think if I can get that rolled back it'll clear perfectly. When not in motion uts great. But hitting bumps it grabs on the sidewall and jerks the steering wheel to the side. 

I live down 2 and half miles of dirt, so I'd like to keep the liners if I can. But if not I've got decent grinder and a 10 pack of cut off wheels. 

On 4/4/2023 at 7:50 AM, Netshark993 said:

I live down 2 and half miles of dirt, so I'd like to keep the liners if I can. But if not I've got decent grinder and a 10 pack of cut off wheels. 

May be able to just cut off about 1/2" of it to fold it back up above the fender? It's just all so beefy, I'm scared to try and roll the lips back. 😁

Biggest issue on these style front suspensions is the camber goes a little positive on hard bumps, so you're fine on a smooth street, but rub when you hit bumps. On my old wheels everything looked fine, like it cleared by a fair margin. Then when you bounce the front end you can see the tire hit that step you mentioned. 

On 4/5/2023 at 1:26 PM, datsunfreak said:

Biggest issue on these style front suspensions is the camber goes a little positive on hard bumps, so you're fine on a smooth street, but rub when you hit bumps. On my old wheels everything looked fine, like it cleared by a fair margin. Then when you bounce the front end you can see the tire hit that step you mentioned

I've got a buddy who does some incredible fab work. I'm trading gim some wheels and tires, and he's making me some custom tubs up front. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 4/5/2023 at 1:26 PM, datsunfreak said:

May be able to just cut off about 1/2" of it to fold it back up above the fender? It's just all so beefy, I'm scared to try and roll the lips back. 😁

Biggest issue on these style front suspensions is the camber goes a little positive on hard bumps, so you're fine on a smooth street, but rub when you hit bumps. On my old wheels everything looked fine, like it cleared by a fair margin. Then when you bounce the front end you can see the tire hit that step you mentioned. 

Ended up rolling the fender lips and building some tubs for it. Drop springs are now on the rear but I need different shocks to get it down where it should be. RFPMoma_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&XxaCcOn_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&TPHbEVQ_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&8aNZZIT_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Any updates on your car?

• Like 2