1967 Galaxie 500 Project, aka Jules

Well, after crawling around under the dash looking for the best spot for a fusebox, I went back to square one and looked at fitting it inside the glove box. Fortunately the stock glove box liner is plastic, so it was still in pretty good condition, save for a few holes in the roof. One of the holes got opened up a little larger (left) to allow room for the flashers since the fusebox was about 1/4" too tall to sit all the way back where I wanted it to be. Overall, I think it'll be okay here. This way I can retain some functionality of the glove box, also...

image.jpeg.97767475e5eec94cb80d6867adbd0cc0.jpeg

Used a 2.5" hole saw to cut a hole in the back of the glove box to feed all this spaghetti out through...

image.jpeg.7d7e167128bc39948b879d79573be9e3.jpeg

Now it's on to routing all this where it needs to go. I have each sub-section loomed separately because they all go somewhere different...

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 2
  • Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/14/2023 at 7:05 AM, datsunfreak said:

A friend who frequents a lot of old car junkyards found some bumpers on a '67 Galaxie last week. Not perfect, but straight and they still match the patina...

Old rear:

image.jpeg.fe5ec3d874d15acaa4a19ab19d0782ee.jpeg

New rear:

image.jpeg.db1bb3a19d8b0aba2edc3b6914eb8202.jpeg

Woah, I need the story on those tail lights!

I's sad to see her go into hands that are more traditional. This build has been a great inspiration on my on 67
Galaxie, and the reason I joined these forums. There's not a whole lot of people building these cars and the few that do are very... old school. and to be honest I find the lack of vision to be really boring. You don't see many 67 galaxies, but so few have been made into truly unique and cool setups.

• Like 2
On 9/8/2023 at 12:08 AM, Netshark993 said:

Woah, I need the story on those tail lights!

What do you want to know? It's all in this thread, but would be happy to go over whatever specific questions you had.

On 9/8/2023 at 12:08 AM, Netshark993 said:

I's sad to see her go into hands that are more traditional. This build has been a great inspiration on my on 67
Galaxie, and the reason I joined these forums. There's not a whole lot of people building these cars and the few that do are very... old school. and to be honest I find the lack of vision to be really boring. You don't see many 67 galaxies, but so few have been made into truly unique and cool setups.

This was obviously my thinking as well, and why I am slightly annoyed at some of the stuff he wants to change. But I will do my best to keep pushing him out of his comfort zone as much as possible.  😋

• Like 1
On 9/7/2023 at 11:08 PM, Netshark993 said:

and to be honest I find the lack of vision to be really boring.

I couldn't agree more, hence whenever I'm at a rod run or any kind of show I'm always drawn to the unique stuff. Seeing another "everybody's got one" _________ (fill in the blank) has zero appeal. Inversely I find much of the Rat Rod builds while very creative, many things I've seen are just plain unsafe. I was taught there are 2 things you simply don't screw with - steering and brakes - errors in either can kill.

• Like 1

I was trying to sort out where all the wires needed to go, and was getting a little annoyed/frustated. Thankfully Tim stepped up and helped me out with sorting the loom correctly. Now it is back in and being ran where it needs to go. 

No more spaghetti!

image.jpeg.d171a935e112b04b0b8c0367195ef4ab.jpeg

That loom you see on the right is for the rear section (tail lights and fuel pump/sender). It will be covered by the kick panel eventually. 

Here you can see the neat little channel Ford made for all the wires to go to the back end...

image.jpeg.15219274b1a9db7def4e9a6575d38bef.jpeg

There are even dimple-died holes in all the quarter panel supports for it to pass through without chafing. 👍

Bundle on the right goes to my switch panel, bundle on the left goes to the gauges...

image.jpeg.d5f956ca1a946b84b8a9961750f58e30.jpeg

And you can see the engine bay loom sneak through the back side of the dash...

image.jpeg.8583a18d51c6ff5eaf193973a3161c5f.jpeg

And that will go out the stock harness hole in the firewall...

image.jpeg.49d12beb681ef5257acd14adf617e305.jpeg

Need to get a grommet, or wrap the loom, at that pass through before I push it all the way through. 

I still need to add a battery cable from the dash to the trunk, and maybe extend a few wires on the tail harness. A lot of these wires came up just a wee bit short. I think this was due to mounting the fuse box on the right side of the dash instead of the left (where it "belongs"), and possibly because this is a 17 foot long car. 😁

I may also need to extend the wires for the switch panel and/or gauges, but I am not sure yet. Tim suggested adding in some connector plugs to the loom, which should make it easier to "lengthen". If I attach the connector to where the wires currently end, I would just need to lengthen the wires on the switch panel end, which really haven't been made yet anyway. And the gauges come with 12" of wiring on them already, so that may be the fix there as well. 

• Like 1

I like those lights.  I need to see if you have a pic in this thread of the stock ones.  I forgot what they looked like, and a '67 anything is very rarely seen these days.  With that said, I was sitting at a stop light the other day, and right in front of me is a guy in a clean black '67 Galaxy that looked original and very clean.  Hubcaps were shiny, and it looked like an unmolested original.  He went flying by, and I didn't even try to get to my phone for a pic, unfortunately..

• Like 2
15 hours ago, EDM620 said:

What did you do?

You mean aside from this? 😁

15 hours ago, EDM620 said:

scavenging the LED's from a later Journey

You can scavenge from either a Journey or a Caravan, same design but slightly different sizes. 

I used Journey rings in the Galaxie, but I have scrounged up 5 Caravan tails to use in the 510 I am building right now. The Caravan rings are a wee bit smaller.

Journey uses one bigger ring:

1385913.jpg

Caravan uses two smaller rings...

KWV9W95P.jpg

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Netshark993 said:

I wonder how hard it would be to make lenses from red plexi. Ive got some interesting ideas now.

I thought about that, but the shape of the lenses made it a little too difficult at the time.

I think you could cut up the stock lens and add a new face to it, though? Just remove the red part and leave the black?  

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.fa1eb49b4eaca227aa803a765ded36c5.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.89f1d9f726be779daf239bf40451307e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have seen on YT some custom taillights, doing all kinds of fancy light shows & "infinity" look and as best I recall they've just used simple plain red sheet for the lens. The diffuser benefits by adding angle to the appearance for traffic - no need to be directly in line with the light in order to see it. I have doubts that you might find sheet stock with any kind of diffuser in red - maybe the plastic diffuser sheet from the local Home Depot would work with a red film overlay? That would add strength to the plastic at minimum.

20 hours ago, EDM620 said:

maybe the plastic diffuser sheet from the local Home Depot would work with a red film overlay? That would add strength to the plastic at minimum.

I thought about using that, epoxied to clear red sheet. Seemed like it would work, in my head at least...  😁

There's also something called "light diffusing acrylic" you can buy...

https://www.curbellplastics.com/product-category/material/acrylic/light-diffusing-acrylic/

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2023 at 7:44 AM, datsunfreak said:

I thought about that, but the shape of the lenses made it a little too difficult at the time.

I think you could cut up the stock lens and add a new face to it, though? Just remove the red part and leave the black?  

I finally found the old post I was looking for with custom lenses! 270171706_5050248268321198_3492288074661

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

Got some work done on this to today, finally...

Edelbrock carb on...

image.jpeg

Began dividing the lights wires from the engine wires...

image.jpeg.02c2eaf7bfb0d4635f97bb864129e901.jpeg

Got all the lights wires bundled up and routed forward via the inside of the fender lip...

image.jpeg.19820a97dea619e7151af7b42c125396.jpeg

Wires for left divided from right, and routed through top of radiator support...

image.jpeg.19755d651cce262ee03f452d1c1a6c78.jpeg

Power steering pump test fit, and hooked up the trigger wire...

image.jpeg.fcae3eee3f689b0c918de14abebb5cf2.jpeg

Engine wiring all done and routed...

image.jpeg.3a271f0dd24039509c37f27bd8ec45fd.jpeg

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 3