Bolt-Lock Pin (Cotter Pin)

PHXDatsun

Hi Guys,

I"m currently in the process of rebuilding my kingpins and one of the cotter pins that keep the fulcrum pin locked into the spindle was a bitch to get out so I basically ruined it. I have been reading from previous posts that its a pretty rare part to find. I did however find some on ebay that are for the following: 1970-1978 240z 260z 280z. So has anyone tried to use these? or is my best bet to try to find a close fit from a hardware store and just grind them flat on one side till they fit?

Here is the link to the z cotter pins

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Spindle-Pin-Lock-Bolt-For-1970-1978-70-78-Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z/254021054163?hash=item3b24d5aed3:g:Y7MAAOSwtYJbx1QW

Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$20 for a $2 part??? Z cars don't have king pins so I don't know where that part fits a car. Rear suspension?

Bicycles used to use those to hold the pedals to the foot crank. I don't know if bike shops would still carry them.

The 620 part number is 40023-25660, also used on the 521 king pins and does not show it working on a Z car.. Try the Nissan dealer? NAPA may be able to cross reference the number to a different part.

• Like 1

When dealing with vintage cars, that the factory has long since abandoned supplying parts for, just spend $20 on the eBay ones, and see if they fit.

Nothing in a hardware store will come close enough to grind a flat on to fit.

Possibly a fastener supply has a metric shoulder bolt, with the correct body diameter, and the correct smaller thread size on the end, that you can cut the head off, and grind the flat on.

If you can't find the real Nissan bolt, try these people:

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/shoulder-bolts/metric-shoulder-bolt-dimensions.aspx

Keep in mind, you can't do a half ass job making a suspension part, because if it fails, you could die.

Not that I care anything about you, but I would hate to see you run off the road, and hit some school lids waiting for a bus.

By the way, here is a 'cotter' pin:

metallics-hillman-pins-rings-clips-38177

• Like 2

on 521 I know are SAE threads most likely

620 Metric  but IM not positive on those pins not that is ezlly fized.

Mike had made spares I had bought some from him for a 521

there are there to just kep the vulcrum pin or what ever they call it centered in there..

when one takes them out leave the nut on there much as possible to nut fuck up the threads.

I Anti seize the shit out of them when putting new ones in and don't really hammer them in too hard

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 2

Thanks for the input guys I have messaged mike to see if he still has some spares, still waiting for a response though. I will keep you guys posted on what direction I take.

Maybe Nissan calls these cotter pins in AUS or the UK. I have seen them called bolt-lock pins too from the research I been doing.

40023-B5000.JPG

• Like 2