Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

64 Good

About Rat-a-tat-Dat

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Okotoks, Alberta, Canada
  • Cars
    '80 720 KC truck, '73 Super Beetle, '68 Firebird 4.1L
  • Interests
    Spending more time on my hobbies instead of the full time job.
  • Occupation
    Looking for a lifestyle that can get me 3 months off, four times a year.

Recent Profile Visitors

1,536 profile views
  1. Center punch and then drill out?
  2. That's your tension side chain guide, some wear, so check for timing chain wear. Look further down inside, visually check the slack side chain guide and even further still, the chain tensioner slipper for wear. If it's grooved from the chain running over it, then everything may need to be replaced. Also examine the teeth on both the crankshaft sprocket and the camshaft sprocket for wear, the teeth will look pointier. Removal of the timing cover will be necessary to check the crankshaft sprocket but first find out if the timing chain is stretched.
  3. Cams condition is looking quite good. Sorry, failed to visually grasp the dust factor you're referring to in an earlier photo of the cam timing chain area.
  4. Welcome to Ratsun 78c2.Please help us enjoy your ride as much as you do, post pics!
  5. It looks like your fuel line at the inlet to the carb is starting to crack, replace hose or just cut back some, depends on how hard the hose is becoming. Also, the terminal connector for the coolant temperature sender isn't attached, unless you removed earlier.
  6. Welcome 510-52, sweet deal and great looking truck. Happy motoring to both you and your son! It's wonderful to see others embrace their Datsun treasures. But it's sad that in my neck of the woods any diamond in the rough would be almost obsolete.
  7. Ability will never catch up with the demand for it. 

  8. Better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. ~ Ab Lincoln

  9. The only way to show off our models is to give them more bling, cause no one's gonna see it until it's parked anyway... show time!
  10. Nice! Excellent work. What brand headers are those? I see ya scored a different valve cover, trying to make it a sleeper?
  11. I remember the first time I replaced my head gasket. When it was physically necessary to set the timing on the cam, the presentable information I was reading seemed too confusing to grasp. My head just wasn't wrapping around the concept. I kept trying to rationalize and picture their meaning but failed miserably. It just seemed strange to start at number 2 on the sprocket instead of #1 first. Then the light bulb went off, and I kicked myself, when I removed the timing chain initially I had marked the cam sprocket with the block head surface. Selfishly thinking this was a quick way to reattach everything ( ha, ha ) and this premeditated assumption would help skip a few steps ( Doh! ). What Datzenmike previously pictured makes sense, but at that time my timing chain was stretched and I was unable to set the timing properly. Next lesson was to set sprocket timing on the number 3 hole and complete the repair until a new timing chain and related peripheral parts were acquired. The engine was running well at idle but had a hard time gaining speed and power, especially on up hill grades. Distributor was clocked all the way to one side also.
  12. Rat-a-tat-Dat

    A Texas 320

    Nice looking truck and in decent shape too.
  13. Nothing wrong with the manifold, it's OEM and works. If removing any emission control apparatus then you can remove the tube assembly and plug all four holes, plus the one attached to the large outlet end. If you have access to a welder, you can place a nut over the broken stud and weld it in place. Once cooled, remove it like any bolt. Be sure to use plenty of penetrant and take your time. You may need to heat the manifold a couple of times if it resists.
  14. Awesome, thanks for the pics. Ha, I noticed you had changed the left rear flat tire, good job!
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.