Draker's 1972 1200 Sedan - "The Pickle"

Draker

16 minutes ago, KELMO said:

Do you have to mod the 280ZX struts like what is needed  to make them work on a 510?

I had to replace the control arms, T/C rods, ball joints and steering arms from a 210 (not a B210) or 310 to fit the ZX struts. I ran coilovers, but I would think you could cut the spring seat off your old struts and weld them in. The only bad thing is that the ZX strut tube is bigger/wider than the 1200. I hope I answered your question.

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think so. I was just curious mostly. I do have a 79 210 front suspension just laying around.

Now if I could just find my motivation.

3 hours ago, KELMO said:

I think so. I was just curious mostly. I do have a 79 210 front suspension just laying around.

Now if I could just find my motivation.

12 hours ago, fivetenguy said:

I had to replace the control arms, T/C rods, ball joints and steering arms from a 210 (not a B210) or 310 to fit the ZX struts. I ran coilovers, but I would think you could cut the spring seat off your old struts and weld them in. The only bad thing is that the ZX strut tube is bigger/wider than the 1200. I hope I answered your question.

Yes this is correct. I've collected all of the needed swap parts, and now it's time to get going on it. I was supposed to start on it today.. still a little time left in the day. We'll see what I can get done.

Well.. I got the struts torn down to just the tube. The problem is I tore down two drivers side struts...  🤣

So I reassembled one, went back out to the parts shed and swapped it out for a passenger side. Then I got that one torn down. We'll see if I have time to cut the perches off tomorrow and test fit the inserts, coilovers, top hats. I may not run the top hats. We'll see. I think the angle is the same?

Still building the struts. Got most of it done. Replaced all the steering linkage with new bits. The old stuff was super worn out.

I am going to try to track down a b210 sway bar to replace the smaller 1200 bar. I ordered some new bushings and brake parts from rock auto to complete the front end rebuild. 

i also probably won’t use the springs I have in the struts. I think they are a bit too stiff. I’m thinking 200 in/lbs would be good. The wiki says 250 is recommended for race applications. I’ve got 250s on my dime and it’s ok but could stand to go a bit softer with a much smaller motor. Thoughts on spring rates?

13 hours ago, Draker said:

I am going to try to track down a b210 sway bar to replace the smaller 1200 bar. I ordered some new bushings and brake parts from rock auto to complete the front end rebuild. 

FWIW, when I measured a B210 and a 210 sway bar, they were both a bit too wide. 

13 hours ago, Draker said:

i also probably won’t use the springs I have in the struts. I think they are a bit too stiff. I’m thinking 200 in/lbs would be good. The wiki says 250 is recommended for race applications. I’ve got 250s on my dime and it’s ok but could stand to go a bit softer with a much smaller motor. 

With an A-series, 200 is a bit too stiff for a street car. Just like your 510, it's not bad, but it could benefit from 175s. 

I had 200s in the front of my car and 175s in the back, and would have eventually swapped the fronts out for 175s if I could have kept it.

Also usually ran 200s in my L-series 510s and they were perfect for a street car IMO. 

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 2

Well thanks to a friendly PM, I actually measured the sway bar and sure enough it's already 20mm. So no need to swap that out.

I got the passenger side suspension assembled and everything is looking good. I ordered outer tie rod ends about a year ago for a B310. Well it turns out they are the wrong ones. Apparently some use larger studs, and some use the same size as the 1200. I just ordered a set for the 1200 which should be the right set. I guess that's what happens when you try to be prepared. oops..  Coming to the classifieds near you, 310 tie rod ends.

Still shopping for 175 springs.. but no major rush there. Still a lot of work to be done after the suspension work, so it will be a while before this hits the road again.

Progress pics coming soon.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Draker said:

Apparently some use larger studs, and some use the same size as the 1200. I just ordered a set for the 1200 which should be the right set. I guess that's what happens when you try to be prepared. oops.. 

I believe some (or maybe all?) of the bare bones 2dr A12A cars used the smaller tie rods. Those are fairly rare, but it's possible your steering knuckles came from one...

Craig:

I may have a set of A14 210 steering arms.

Email me a picture of the ones you have and I will attempt to see if these match with the larger tie rod tapped hole... if you wish to avoid future confusion and/or find/hunt for a limited part.

2 hours ago, Morrisun said:

Craig:

Email me a picture of the ones you have and I will attempt to see if these match with the larger tie rod tapped hole... if you wish to avoid future confusion and/or find/hunt for a limited part.

Thanks Doug! I already got the part in the car but it would be nice to have the larger tie rod ends for durability. I need to tear this thing back down so when I do that I'll take a few pics. Will probably be in the next few days as I install new bushings.

Anyone have any recommendations for a 7" 175 lb/in spring 2.5"?

I got it off the stands tonight to check the ride height. Looks good. Still got some work to do and it will all be torn back down. 

I may swap out the knuckles to accept larger ball joints, waiting for sway bar bushings, tension rod bushings, I need to paint the strut tube where I cut the lower perch off, buy and install new 175lb springs. Then I have a few things that need welded. One of the tension rod bushing cups fell out and needs rewelded in. Also there is a spot on same ensuing rod support that is cracked. This car has over 300k on it and it shows in some spots. Also I found a good amount of rust in the floor pans. It’s not Swiss cheese, but more than I initially thought. I’ll tackle that when I start on the interior work.

BF86B9C9-C455-43EB-B12D-23E60A610B3A.jpg
C6220D60-92B2-46C3-A88E-721E8100C653.jpg

• Like 3
On 5/5/2020 at 7:00 PM, Morrisun said:

Craig:

looks like a 12mm tie rod hole. They should be stamped with W50 I think.

649087C2-8029-42CA-BB97-9586A1B961DA.jpg
00A2A3A3-0671-445D-B631-9424F41EC4AE.jpg

On 3/28/2018 at 12:14 PM, KELMO said:

Also, I am pretty sure I have a set of OEM wing window seals but I will have to do some searching........14 tubs of Datsun parts inventoried and still not done.

I have only 4 tubs in the garage.  and 4 in the basement.  What a n00b I am.  14 is my life goal.

On 5/27/2018 at 6:46 PM, datsunfreak said:

I really like that valve cover. Been thinking about one but just can't pull the trigger on it...   :rofl:

The Hayashi racing A-series ones are even better!  Bit pricey though but I know the maker of these personally and could get you "mates" rates.

Bushings received today. Also got the inner brake hub seals. Still waiting in brake hoses. Doug hooked me up with the correct 12mm W50 steering knuckles. Mine are 10mm, and would work just fine, but I prefer the bigger version. Sounds like those will be here early next week.

hope to get some garage time in tomorrow. Been busy with yard work the last few days.

• Like 1