Draker's 1972 1200 Sedan - "The Pickle"

Draker

I may try to get the auto tranny out this week and start modding the rear crossmember to accept the 60A 5 speed. Also need to get some color matched paint so I can touch up the firewall after removing the clutch master blanking plate.

• Like 1
  • Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went and got some color matched paint mixed today. I looked at the wiki and found two colors for green, 004 and 940. The paint ship didn't have a paint chip for 004, and 940 looked like a good match but it was a 73 color. Mine is a 72..   Hope it's a match. If not.. meh. It's in the engine bay. I'll just cover it in dirt and grease. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Draker said:

Went and got some color matched paint mixed today. I looked at the wiki and found two colors for green, 004 and 940. The paint ship didn't have a paint chip for 004, and 940 looked like a good match but it was a 73 color. Mine is a 72..   Hope it's a match. If not.. meh. It's in the engine bay. I'll just cover it in dirt and grease. 

I always thought the 004 Green is your color...

7723.jpg

Edited by datsunfreak
1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

Hopefully I am wrong.  😁

Googling around for both numbers, looks like they might be the same color, just a different number. Like Nissan just used a different code for different years?

It really hard to say.. I went in looking for 004. Their 940 looked to be the same color as the inside of my fuel door. I'll do a test and see if it's close. I think even if I got the color code correct, it wouldn't be a perfect match. I'd settle for close.

Took a quick look and while the tag is still intact on the core support, the number cannot be read. the build date is 11/71 making  it a 72.  There is a 510 out there also that was originally the same color but found nothing stamped in the core support much less a tag.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, KELMO said:

Took a quick look and while the tag is still intact on the core support, the number cannot be read. the build date is 11/71 making  it a 72.  There is a 510 out there also that was originally the same color but found nothing stamped in the core support much less a tag.

yeah mine is the same. Tagged but the stamp is long gone. 

Wrong bolts were used on the flex plate. Looks like from a 5 bolt crank and an extra random bolt. 

these will be all replaced with the proper crank bolts. I’m just getting the spacer plate and additional tranny parts cleaned up and then I’ll start getting the 5 speed bolted in place. Still need to see about the rear crossmember.

8 hours ago, Draker said:

Still need to see about the rear crossmember.

How I did mine was I used BMW transmission mounts attached to the transmission ears...

sml_gallery_102_398_1483044639_33069.jpg

Then made a mount from two pieces of flat steel and a piece of steel tube.

large.FB_IMG_1594910031145.jpg.57a7bc924

Top two holes go to trans, bottom two holes to the body. 👍

If you have a big enough piece of metal plate (I did not 😄 ), you can just make a horseshoe shaped piece with 4 holes in it. 

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 2
On 7/13/2020 at 3:08 PM, Draker said:

it’s close, might be a tad bit darker. Hard to say but it’s acceptable.

AC4EDB75-D51D-4560-95F3-36BC4CECE8B5.jpg

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

And turn the shifter round the right way...  😁

psh, you haven't seen my gorilla arms.

Actually I just tossed it in so I could put it in gear to rotate the splines. That was the direction that allowed for best shift when it was still hanging down a bit. I may use a straight shifter. We'll see what feels right.

4 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

As I recall, I used an early Z shifter, because gorilla arms...  😄

I’ll try both options and see what fits best. Still need seats to complete the interior.

i also picked up those bmw mounts. Thanks for the tip.

5 minutes ago, Draker said:

I’ll try both options and see what fits best. Still need seats to complete the interior.

i also picked up those bmw mounts. Thanks for the tip.

I used a short 280ZX shifter and flipped the plastic bit with spring in the center around for the right height. I like the short shifter.

001.jpg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 2
On 7/25/2020 at 3:31 AM, KELMO said:

How did you attach the inner belt seals? I used super weatherstrip adhesive. It worked on one side for me.

nothing on the inner belt seals. They fit really tight in the channel. I had to use silicone spray to install. 

I normally use weather strip adhesive for the window channel felt, I didnt this time. If they start coming out I’ll glue them in. I didn’t glue them because they might need to come out again. But they fit pretty snug.. so we’ll see.