Draker's 1972 1200 Sedan - "The Pickle"

Draker

Got the alternator bolt drilled out and extracted. I think I will be drilling out the holes and rethreading. Lots of the threads are gone already. I installed longer bolts. Also picked up the mini alternator. Will be here this weekend.

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got the alternator today. I'm trying to figure out if the old one is internally regulated. I don't see a voltage regulator anywhere. once I get that sorted out, I'll install it. It's small and light!!!

The wiring is a bit of a mess, burnt wires here any there. Bypassed wires, a custom fuse box, cut wires.. you name it. Almost everything is working.. but it's making me uneasy.. so I think I'm just going to replace the dash and body harness and save this one as a spare.

Also finished wiring in air horns.. no pictures cause it got dark. They are loud! I love it. The old horns were wired to a dash mounted push button switch.. well I deleted it and wired it back into the steering wheel buttons. I didn't clean up the wiring too much since I'll be replacing the body harness. So for now, it's zip tied and looked like crap. 

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, Draker said:

Maybe not? 

Like I said, we just connect the fat feed wire (usually white with a red stripe) to the alt big post, then run another fat wire from alt big post to battery post on the starter (relocated battery) or to the battery positive post. All other wiring is left disconnected.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

Like I said, we just connect the fat feed wire (usually white with a red stripe) to the alt big post, then run another fat wire from alt big post to battery post on the starter (relocated battery) or to the battery positive post. All other wiring is left disconnected.

The back of the alternator has been used as a power distribution block. It's got connectors every which way, but I think I could probably connect most of them in the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up two engine bay wiring harnesses, another heater assembly, and a crap rear bumper.

Got my truck back on the road so this will be retired from DD status. Time to get some work done!!

Edited by Draker
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/6/2018 at 5:03 PM, DaFerg said:

Hey, Craig - Didn't realize until now we were in the same town...can I buy you a beer and/or coffee  and welcome you (and your Datsun fleet) to the neighborhood ? 

Dave

Hi Dave! Yeah I'm still getting settled in. It's been months and months.. but I'm still very much in unpacking mode. Feel free to drop by one of these weekends.

On 10/29/2018 at 2:12 PM, hobospyder said:

Oh I hope you like sirens. 

I have experience in this area

Sirens and the occasional life flight helicopter. It's not so bad.. just means the neighbors are used to noise. Less for me to worry about and I get my wrenching on.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2018 at 7:12 PM, Draker said:

Spent the last month negotiating with a fellow down in LA about a green 1972 B110 sedan he has owned for the last 36 years. He called it "The pickle". He drove this car all over the place event to the last day he sold it to me. It's got it's quirks like all Datsuns. It's had some body work done, but it has little rust. I have to thank 240zness for going and inspecting the car for me, and taking it for a drive. James Johnson for hauling it up to Oregon. Without these Datsun nuts, this wouldn't have been possible!

Blah blah blah pictures.

20180325_190735.jpg
20180325_190714.jpg
20180325_190702.jpg
20180325_190646.jpg
IMG953173.jpg

Serious datto envy. Where do u park it? I think it would be happier in my driveway, I would say nice things to it and wash/detail 3x a week. you don't want too many cars cluttering up your drive.  Just re-upped my AAA+~could load in a jiffy. VERY NICE. I have taillight housings nice fyi.

• Haha 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Been collecting parts for this thing.. lots and lots of parts. The question is, when will I be motivated enough to install them.

- 5 speed swap

- tach

- side mirrors

- new wheels

- dash

- wiring harness

- blocks for the low

- all the parts for 280zx strut swap

- t3 camber plates

I need to find some new seats.

• Like 1

Sometimes grouping the bits of the project into jobs that kinda sorta go together

:

Perhaps start with the pulling the dash, installing a stock 1200 tach is MUCH easier with the dash out of the car.

Then the rest of the wiring.

Same with the front suspension and camber plates, install lowering blocks on rear springs, have it aligned- drive the car!

I try to keep the jobs to what I can do in three days- drive the car!

The five speed swap in a bit more involved, and yes it is tempting to replace the pedal box with the dash out but the car is down for longer and easy to get bogged down.

You may also consider installing the clutch master cylinder bolts through the firewall with the dash out, so they are there when you need them.

Familiarize yourself with the bolts that attached the pedal box, take pictures with the dash out- its helpful when under the dash later.

If it's not the way you want it- then you are not driving the shit-out-of-it, & that what 1200's are all about!