Draker's 1972 1200 Sedan - "The Pickle"

Draker

These are 14's. I will be running a 185/60r14 with maybe a little stretch, not sure how it will fit on the wheel.

This size will require either bending or cutting the front fender. 

If that's a 6" wheel, and I'd bet it is, that would be zero stretch. 

You can get by with a 185/55-14, but I would heartily recommend a 155/55-14 (on a 6-6.5" wheel) or a 185/50-14 (7-8" wheel).

Left side 155/55-14 on a 14x7, right is 185/50-14 on a 14x8, both a fairly moderate stretch in my opinion...

large.20170114_095204.jpg.a23c22c0e91f14

• Like 2
  • Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This size will require either bending or cutting the front fender. 

If that's a 6" wheel, and I'd bet it is, that would be zero stretch. 

You can get by with a 185/55-14, but I would heartily recommend a 155/55-14 (on a 6-6.5" wheel) or a 185/50-14 (7-8" wheel).

Left side 155/55-14 on a 14x7, right is 185/50-14 on a 14x8, both a fairly moderate stretch in my opinion...

What about with a 280zx strut? That should move it in a bit?

• Like 1

What about with a 280zx strut? That should move it in a bit?

Yes, but it's about diameter, not location of the wheel. With a tire that tall you have two choices: either clip the fenders (0 to +10 offset), or rub on the frame rails (+10 to +20 offset). And if you get the wheel tucked in far enough to not clip, it will look like butt in my opinion. 

I can promise you from nearly 20 years experience with these cars, if you lower it at all, it will clip the fenders. 

The front fender openings are just too small front to back, so you need an overall tire diameter that is close to stock. Those two sizes I mentioned above are the only "easy to get" 14" tires that are even close to stock height. 

Thank you for the reference photos. I don't know what offset, and I'm not low (yet)

Most of those are around a +6. Which is a good fit for a 280ZX strut. You might also consider the 280ZX 6 spokes if you're on a budget? They fit great with 280ZX struts, looks sharp, and are crazy light weight (about 12.8 pounds each). 

gallery_102_398_1483041694_23123.jpg

• Like 4

The ties are low mile used tires. even if they just get me on the road at current height. I'll rock em for now. 

They should be okay for a bit. :thumbup:

Try to avoid hitting any bumps while turning though...    ;)

Going to check around for those tire sizes you mentioned. Checking now. 

155/55-14 is available from a few sources. I got mine from tires-easy.com.

The 185/50-14 is a little tougher. I had to order mine from England off ebay. All in it was still fairly affordable though. 

Here comes my $.02.....

The 12" tires on the green coupe are 165/60/12 with a diameter of about 19 1/2".  The car has been lowered 2" front and rear and has roughly 2 to 2 1/2" between tire and wheel arch on fender and quarter panel. I have experienced zero rub with these tires.

The 14" tires on the grey coupe are 185/55/14 with a diameter of about 21 1/2". The car has not been lowered and has roughly 3 1/4" between tire and wheel arch on fender and quarter panel. I am about 98% sure I have had no tire rub with these.

On the grey coupe I originally ran a 195/60/14 and had quite a bit of bump and rub, even to the point of some sidewall cutting on the rear. The diameter of these tires is roughly 23"

Grey 1200 front....guess mine poke a bit also.

nmzrGzB.jpg

Grey 1200 rear.

6G75e0u.jpg

• Like 1

Here comes my $.02.....

The 12" tires on the green coupe are 165/60/12 with a diameter of about 19 1/2".  The car has been lowered 2" front and rear and has roughly 2 to 2 1/2" between tire and wheel arch on fender and quarter panel. I have experienced zero rub with these tires.

The 14" tires on the grey coupe are 185/55/14 with a diameter of about 21 1/2". The car has not been lowered and has roughly 3 1/4" between tire and wheel arch on fender and quarter panel. I am about 98% sure I have had no tire rub with these.

On the grey coupe I originally ran a 195/60/14 and had quite a bit of bump and rub, even to the point of some sidewall cutting on the rear. The diameter of these tires is roughly 23"

I concur. The 155/55-14 is about 20.5" and the 185/50-14 is about 20.75". To me, 21" is the limit. 

Got a front 3/4 pic? Very curious if it looks like someone has pulled the front edge of the fenders out a bit. 

Um, yeah well....the left front fender is folded in a bit from when I first attempted the 195's.  I think I did the right side also...will have to look.

I have been told this thing looks like a Hot Wheels.  What with the high stance and large (as far as a 1200 is concerned) tires.

Not sure what you mean by "front 3/4 pic". :confused:

Um, yeah well....the left front fender is folded in a bit from when I first attempted the 195's. I think I did the right side also...will have to look.

I have been told this thing looks like a Hot Wheels. What with the high stance and large (as far as a 1200 is concerned) tires.

Not sure what you mean by "front 3/4 pic". :confused:

at an angle on the front quarter, usually about 45 degrees from the flat of the fender and forward

I will have to look at the right side. And yes, I did fold that to fit the 195/60's.

And did a HORRIBLE job if I do say so myself.