Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Factory stock tires were 25.5" diameter

Well that contradicts what I was told last year..... I was told they were around 24"..

well if i compare a 25.5 tall tire to what i am running the tire size calculator says at 40 actual speed is about a 38mph so I'll have to consider that with my choice....

I was reading that I would need the purple 21 tooth with 4.37 gears,.... so with the tires I have i am thinking a 20 tooth would get me right where I need to be..

Screenshot_20180518-065851.png

Screenshot_20180518-065929.png

• Like 1

Datsunparts.com has speedo gears. They're listed for a 5 speed, but, you'd have to look at the pictures and see if they would fit.

http://datsunparts.com/Transmission-5-Speed

Part numbers 2740, 2741, and 2742

As for the alternator, ignore Hainz. Get a high output one from a 510. It does fit.

I think the problem is gonna be the housing or the sleeve.... seems like 20 to 23 is a different sleeve.. which is no longer available...

I did find one full assembly for sale with a red gear... I need to measure what I have to compare...

Would be nice if the 19 was enough i could buy just the gear but I still think 20 is what I need....

And what year 510?

That was still external regulator right?

• Like 1

Mine was a Remy 14118 from RockAuto listed for a 70-73 510. It came as a remanufactured Hitachi. $62

Yes, ER.

Thanks I'll check that out.... I need a wheel bearing hub assembly for my chevy and they have good prices for that part... with 270000 miles i' m not spending alot to keep it running... plus I've done the expensive ones too and they fail just the same....

• Like 1

I believed you the first time... I don't know where 24" came from...

At least i know now to add the tire size variance to the equation....

Everything I read/found about OE tire size on a mounted stock wheel ends up at 24.8". When I measured what I had when I first got my 521, OE sizing everything...less than 25".

195/65R15 on a 8 inch wide wheel is 24.8".

• Like 1

The tire in the pic is a bias ply tire....the original spare.  I thought I remembered them being a bit taller, but I take lots of pics so I don't have to rely on memory! LOL  I'm pretty sure they were 6 ply tires.  Just looked at the pics again.....yep...6 ply.  .

If that radial were a 70 series, it would probably be just right.

• Like 1

I never have a point to the things I do..... why build an L16, why all the switches and gauges, because why not?

It's more fun to ratrod/madmax it out, it was never gonna be all original so I figure why not do what I want.... any thing is reversible and the floor is so rusted with hole what's one more....

I actually wanna do a square stack in the end as a kick back to our square exhaust ports of the cylinder head....

Atleast it not on a trailer....

• Like 1

heh.  

I never have a point to the things I do..... why build an L16, why all the switches and gauges, because why not?
It's more fun to ratrod/madmax it out, it was never gonna be all original so I figure why not do what I want.... any thing is reversible and the floor is so rusted with hole what's one more....
I actually wanna do a square stack in the end as a kick back to our square exhaust ports of the cylinder head....

giphy.gif

That’s true it’s not on a trailer. You should run 2 like Big Peterbilt.

• Like 1

That’s true it’s not on a trailer. You should run 2 like Big Peterbilt.

Just cranking up Dp with the trailer comment, needed to add an extra zing...

And the stacks ideally would be 2 square tube stacks, a set on each side, one though an exhaust cutout and the other through the muffler... i saw this once and it got me thinking..

optimus-prime-truck-transformer-4-10.jpg

• Like 1

Just cranking up Dp with the trailer comment, needed to add an extra zing...

And the stacks ideally would be 2 square tube stacks, a set on each side, one though an exhaust cutout and the other through the muffler... i saw this once and it got me thinking..optimus-prime-truck-transformer-4-10.jpg

Bro it’s all good. I was just going through your thread. Love it. I could not load up your video how did the dyna turn out. I’m doing a small engine build on my wagon. Check it out. All stock 1800 with ITB’s and crank trigger. But burning oil so got a 210 head but all reworked and now either a L20 or mother 1800. Going to Canby this year.

• Like 1

The whole dyno thing was more of an adventure getting there because of the snow.... the dyno itself was boring....

It was only there to get the timing set and to break the motor in, and cam in...

I prepared for an appocolips with bags of spare anything i thought i might need...

I needed nothing, the engine ran, i think the only thing I had to do was a quick clutch pedal adjustment but that was it.... basically just drove at different speeds and rpm for half hour and letting the engine compression brake a few times..

I needed the professional because I had no idea about detonation and pinging so I needed to know if I had to shut it down.. luckily it hasn't been an issue..

• Like 2