New to this forum

crew521

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i see what ur saying...floor pan has bolts dropped thru and when i get home ill make sure that cab is all sqaure with pan where it used to be befor welding anything..lol..doors all function but when i cut floor last night might have shifted a little as she dropped to the ground

• Like 1

20160804_204859_zpsqbt55ryr.jpg

Look at this i work for toyota now and a 2009 rav4 xame thru and lady swears steering shaft was clunking..so we fixed it for her and i took it home for the crew;) perfect double joint shaft with slip

Intermediate shaft. There's a TSB. I've done a lot of them.

Which Toyota dealer do you work for? Quite a few of us around here are Toyota/Lexus techs.

• Like 1

20160806_134714_zpshvbvq0uu.jpg

could take a stock floor body drop go big or go home

20160806_134716_zpslutm4xa7.jpg

20160806_172029_zpsi1kp7ghn.jpg

the star of a new floor frame

20160806_220209_zpsllxhayds.jpg

20160807_134433_zpswa9kw2mj.jpg

20160807_134440_zpsylz5nvyu.jpg

20160807_150809_zpsp6fxdhd9.jpg

new aluminum floor

20160807_213833_zpsspdi2pz4.jpg

wife caught a few snaps of me doing some underside welding

20160807_213839_zps84nprooc.jpg

20160807_213845_zpsgroj0yu5.jpg

20160807_213902_zpss8jxejqa.jpg

20160807_213952_zpssagnq1vr.jpg

20160807_231329_zpsfnnibe8y.jpg

little angle peices for floor pannel to set on like a shelf

20160807_231437_zpslmdk4mhb.jpg

20160807_231503_zpsyxtdfv1p.jpg

Resized_20160807_231226_zpsr6koahdc.jpg

dang wife put down my camera sweep sweep sweep ..full liftbut cant tell cause wife i think was taking my pic instead of first lift :thumbup:

• Like 3

You need to stop and get the drive line figured out, you will not get anyone/business to make you one that long that size that knows what they are doing, either you need to have a carrier, or your going to have to make room for a much larger round drive line, a lot larger!!!

A drive line that long will actually sag when not turning, this flex creates an issue when it turns, it will start to bow out and go out of balance and self destruct, the faster it is turning, the more damage it will cause, it may happen on the first drive, or it may happen on the first big bump you hit where the rearend moves and the drive line flexes, it isn't a matter of if it is going to self destruct, it's a matter of when and under what circumstances, it will destroy stuff, and with that engine/HP.....................

I am not trying to be negative, but I had a one piece drive line made for my 1950 Chevy long bed truck when I converted over to a V8, the thing was 6/7 feet long and was over 4 inches across/round, I kinda bitched about it when I picked it up, and they said it had to be that big, that is how the math worked out.

• Like 3

im fully aware and like to think i know what im doing..as above in my post i have stated im gonna do a carier and new crossmeber and make 2 piece but after my d day !!!!!!!!  thanks for the worry once again man.. :thumbup:  

• Like 2

it will go on trailer and off at 5mph max (at full lift so driveline away from tunnel structure at its furthest point) THEN all winter i can fix all little stuff (((drivleine a very little issue))) compared to my very promt ELABORATE build.... than so many people doubted..i have stated in and out what i was doing and how and when and whats important from A_-----ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ lol and feel i stuck to my guns guys..whats every1 think about that??????????????????????????

• Like 1

I think it was a friendly warning about a potentially dangerous issue and it wasn't apparent if you were aware of the issues. You may know what you are doing, but we don't know what you know, so you get a heads up.

Just because you say you know what you are doing doesn't mean anything. I can show you a hundred other threads started by guys who swore they knew what they were doing, but didn't, and ended up with piles of scrap or a deadly vehicle that shouldn't have been on the roads.

You could simply have left it at your first reply, not sure why the second calling us out for daring to doubt your prowess was really necessary.

• Like 4

thanks again didnt mean to come across rude at all :blush: ..i just have had so much doubt about this build. but as its coming together people seem to like what they now see as a hole...now people seem tosee what i have invisioned from 1st sight of the 2 FREE 521's ..i want it to be safe belive me..so THANKS WAYNO... and again sorry if that all sounded rude..i ment what you all think bout build not what u think about my above  #2 post after waynos helpful pointers..... i will always take advice..thats how we all learn(o and tacking and trying and cutting and redoing lol)..i am no sema car show builder bu any means but have a good understanding and capeabilty/drive  of building what i want :rofl:

• Like 3

I have a fairly thick skin, it would take a lot to truly aggravate me. :lol:

Fact is that I don't know everything, as that huge drive line size I mentioned surprised me, the damned thing was so heavy that it caused rear seal issues on the transmission, the damned thing was always leaking, but since I had changed both the engine/trans. and the rear axle, a one piece drive line was the easiest way to go.

Your truck is a little longer than your original plan, I thought you said the rear door was going to be 28 inches, or something like that, I was hoping to see how you did that, but you went with a full door, so that didn't help me on any future plans I had, I really wanted to see a 3/4 door and how you were going to do the hinges.

My extended cabs I have were done in such a way that one might think the came that way from the outside, that way they would not draw the attention of the police, dealerships did put stepside boxes on trucks back in the day on all the major brands of imported trucks, they also had a few super extended cab aftermarket conversions, specifically the Datsun 620 and Toyota, I want mine to look like a company did the conversion at the very least, that way that is not a reason for the police to stop me, I don't want any authority looking to close, I modified a VW bug once a long time ago, they would not license it, it had to be scrapped, I don't want that to happen again.

• Like 4

Maybe you said, and I didn't catch it. Why the deadline? Are you bringing it to a car show or some kind of cruise?

I enjoy all types of builds, but when you put yourself out there, you can't expect all thumbs up, all the time. There's going to be criticism, even from me, but that doesn't mean I don't like what you're building.

I do like it...very much.

• Like 3

A bit off-topic....an selfish...but...

Do you have spare bits from these 521s?

I'm looking for a clean interior harness. Maybe some other bits.

PM me if willing to sell. I don't want to turn your thread into a classified ad.

Back on topic...I doubted you in the beginning. No more. I love the project and can't wait to see it on the road.

This is Ratsun. People can say what they want.

Buy until one side proves the other wrong, most of the time, the haters will keep on hating.

Get this thing done already. Love this project.

• Like 2

BTW, this is one of the first threads I read when I come here to Ratsun, this kind of thing is what interests me, I read every post even though I cannot remember everything written/said, and I look at every photo closely, I want to see how everything is done to see if there is an easier way to do something that I do when I covert one of my cabs, I have planned two more and have everything needed to do them, but not sure if either will ever be done now, just not motivated anymore.

The drive line concerned me, and I thought that if you get the floor done before the drive line, then maybe the floor would need modified again to clearance the carrier, as they stick up quite high and this truck is slammed, it's a lot of work doing things like this, it took me a long time(6 months?) to extend my first 521 cab, the second one took a week to extend it, but I knew what to do the second time so that I didn't need to cut out what I just did because I wasn't happy with what I had just done.

• Like 2

OK, that's a good reason for the rush.

On that note, you ever notice how fast they burn through a build on any of those shows on TV? Nobody can build a car in 30 days from the ground up. Take a look around the shop in later episodes and you'll see the same cars stuffed in corners or up on lifts. It's because they still need finishing.

Some of my builds take a year or more.

• Like 2

so last night i got the rav4 steering shaft in ..works perfect and i got full tune up done along with all things nessisary ready to fire it up except for radiator hose..but its ready for them today made templetes with coat hangers for hoses....should fire it up tonight..got fluids in and temporary exhaust flex pipes in place toward floor instead of face

• Like 2