speaker in the ashtray?

spdcrazy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually looking for a Bluetooth speaker that closely fits the opening of the stock stereo.

There is another Bluetooth option, a receiver hidden in the dash, or under your seat, or wherever,  that feeds to an amp and then still to real speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S92C4YG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=IHNF24WNSTFV&coliid=ISD3631I5A0YM

51bmfbrHlJL.jpg

And I know the Amazon item title says "RCA Input" but it is output to an amp.

Unless your goal was to eliminate having to cut out speaker holes in a pristine interior or maybe just really wanting shitty tinny sound of course.

Wanted to add, single speakers work great for listening to AM radio in monotone broadcast.  You lose a lot when using it for listening to true stereo, like half the recorded tracks.  Unless your goal is just background noise to break the monotony of daily driving or you like to listen talk radio.  I suppose, bottomline, it's still better than nothing lol.

• Like 1

Dude scrap this idea unless your running 1 hockey ass speaker in a beat up truck for just sound then don't put a speaker where is todays modern cars and trucks would be a center channel. Go door panels or kick panels or behind the seat. And what Daniel C said is spot on shallow speaker maybe but dumb dumb dumb idea.

• Like 2

it would be a center speaker while I put one in each kick panel. I don't remember the measurement but I think it was 2.5-2.75in from metal of dash to the bottom of the radio, this should be enough for a standard speaker correct? or would even the proximity to the radio not be a wise idea?

again i'm just tossing around the idea, I don't need an ashtray, and would like to utilize the space. I don't mind the Bluetooth option, but I hate fumbling with batteries and such. rather have something wired into the truck. I want to wire the factory radio to an aux jack for my phone/ipod/etc.  

• Like 1

Okay. I thought this was for a hokey AM radio or something. You are looking for good sound with sides and a center channel? Bad idea. The center channel, when you actually have a head unit that can mix for 5.1, gives a bunch of center bias for all mixes. Meaning, if your center channel isn't your best sounding speaker, it'll degrade the sound. And a dinky 2.5" speaker in a dash won't likely be your best. It might help the sound stage, but at the cost of not sounding good. I'd avoid this. Besides, almost all music is recorded in stereo, intended to be heard in stereo, and any down mix won't be better. My advise would be to put a EQ in there to improve control of your sound.

• Like 3

i see where you are going with your thinking, I don't think I want to go as far as an equalizer and such, trying to keep it simple here. the only thing i'd say would be different would be the speaker size, I "should" be able to fit a 4x6, would that help? or still be unbalance? I suppose I could use it for a 4x6 and then just run some small tweeters down in the kick panels or something? again i'm trying to keep it simple, but would like to better use the ashtray spot.

also, I plan to have an aux cable for use on my phone, so while it will be stereo, it won't be anything crazy

• Like 1

i see where you are going with your thinking, I don't think I want to go as far as an equalizer and such, trying to keep it simple here. the only thing i'd say would be different would be the speaker size, I "should" be able to fit a 4x6, would that help? or still be unbalance? I suppose I could use it for a 4x6 and then just run some small tweeters down in the kick panels or something? again i'm trying to keep it simple, but would like to better use the ashtray spot.

also, I plan to have an aux cable for use on my phone, so while it will be stereo, it won't be anything crazy

Is that not what I said? I like the creativity but just wont do you any good. I want better sounds in my truck also but unless I make custom kick panels which I don't want holes are coming soon to the door panels because well its the most logical in these little trucks.

• Like 1

wow, that link is full of good info!

I don't see why I can't just wire it in with the two speakers like it explains, and I read that a co-axial center speaker is optimal. if I go that route for the center, what style would I be looking for in the kickpanel speakers? 2 or 3 ways?

Mr.Big, yes that was what you were saying, however I still don't see why the location itself could be a dumb idea, what that solely due to the speaker being physically close to the radio? or with the possibility of the metal dash vibrating and being annoying? or just a dumb idea if it was the only speaker I intended on installing?

• Like 2