Newbie with a rare find RL-411

Hello from Gardnerville Nevada. New guy on the board used to own a 1964 Datsun L320 truck.

I recently stumbled across a 1967 RL-411 wagon. Its badged on the rear with the SSS and, " Fully automatic". It has the twin carbed 1600 and runs great. Owner bought it from a little old lady about ten years ago. Has a clean title.

No rust, few small dents, one Datsun emblem fell off but he has it. Front buckets have tears, headliner looks great. Has the original wheels and caps. Grill is a little messed up but not too bad. Has a column shift automatic. Original floor mats and rear cargo rubber. Zero rust. It has 50,000 original miles:eek:

He asked if I knew anyone interested in buying it. I asked what he wanted if he was to sell it to me. He said, " $2,000.

Would I be ripping him off? I really like the car and I know it's worth some coin. I have no idea of it's true value. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Troy

Link to pics I took today http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=205793#post205793

Edited by troyintahoe
add
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go for it! I think it is fair but pics would help us decide that! Did you take any? And welcome!!

Man I love a 411sss! The exhaust routes through the fender well to fit that engine in there.

It's hidden and no one knows about it. I just don't really have a clue if $2,000 is fair. By the responses I'm assuming it may be worth a bit more than $2,000. I just don't want him finding out later that it is worth twice or something similar to what I pay for it. Thank you for your imput. Troy

If the guy said 2K then 2k it is. Your not ripping anybody off. We need pic's to know for sure. It might not be worth 2k. you'll have a tough time finding any parts for that goon. I had one.

Front buckets have tears, headliner looks great. Has the original wheels and caps. Grill is a little messed up but not too bad. Has a column shift automatic. Original floor mats and rear cargo rubber. Zero rust. It has 50,000 original miles:eek:

50,000 or 150,000 [you realise that the odometer has only 5 digits for miles, the left one is tenths of miles] it's worth it. The front buckets are easily reupholstered, mine had perfect foam after 35 years, so that should not be a deciding factor. The headliner condition is a great plus! The British Borg Warner is as bulletproof as any automatic transmission ever made. If needed, rebuild parts and kits are available, this transmission was used in just about every Eupopean car sold, including Ford's Mercury Capri.

For the record, this is a WRL411 UAK. Per my original drivers handbook. W = Wagon. R = R engine [1600 cc mid cam] 1300 cc engines yield a "P" code. L = left hand drive export version. U = whatever the hell it does. A = automatic transmission [manual transmission is coded "T"]. K = dual SU Hitachi carburettors.

This car has RL411-801748 on the firewall. He bought it from a local Lady who was about 80 years old. She was the only owner and she told him the miles were actual.

Here is a link to pics I shot today http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=205793#post205793

Thanks for the pic's the car looks great. Looks like it has cali plates on it. That thing is clean.:D

Yeah, thats pretty clean, and if unmolested, 2k is fair for everyone as it's no rolling museum. I'd get it if you're into wagons, which I think are cool, and 411's are cooler. I have a friend that has an the same ss model in his backyard thats he's "considering" getting back on the road. I'll believe it when I see it.

My friend told me about a hidden 1967 411 in GA thats in a field, non running but covered and in mint shape.. guy wants $1200.. but i dont know exactly where it is or have the money haha

Prices on 411's have risen in recent years. Based on what it is, the mileage, and the pics, $2000 is a win-win for you and the seller.

NOW GO GET IT!!!!! :D

Btw, no offense to Scott, this particular 411 is too nice and should -NOT- be a candidate for the Rat Wagon. Yes, one should be done, but better to modify something that's in worse shape.

I'm still working on it. I am ready to pull the trigger as soon as he lets go of it. He seems to think It's worth about $3,500. I'm going to hold fast at $2,000 and see if he goes for it.

I took it for a burn the other day. It runs great and has no mech issues, other than a clamp n one of the hoses to keep it from collapsing when coolant flows through it. They replaced one of the hoses with some thin stuff that doesn't hold it's shape very well. I'll keep you posted!

It runs great and has no mech issues, other than a clamp n one of the hoses to keep it from collapsing when coolant flows through it. They replaced one of the hoses with some thin stuff that doesn't hold it's shape very well. I'll keep you posted!

Goodyear makes a radiator hose with an internal wire coil [to provent collapse] that can be cut to fit the RL411. Actually, it can be cut so that the one hose replaces both the upper and lower radiator hoses. If you are interested, I can look through me "treasure trove" of hose labels that I have saved over the years and find the part number. RL411s are rare enoughh that I save evidence of things that fit or can be forced to fit. Gates Rubber has a similar hose, but I don't think it comes with the wire form.

That part number would be great. It has orange hose on there now. You can see it on the motor pic. Troy

The part number for the hose with internal spring is (D)71379. I believe it is Gates Rubber, not BF Goodrich, the parts shop will know from the part number structure. It also has a braid overlay which looks just like the factory original unit. Get 2 and you will have more leeway in trimming to fit. I have done it so often that I get both upper and lower hoses with one cut. Using 2 gives you more slack in installation in case you do not have "perfect" engine mounts which puts a strain on the hose clamps.