Distributor rotors

Datsundude123

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it backfired out the carb, your timing is too far advanced (intake valve is still open) such as 30 BTDC at idle.  

If it backfired out the exhaust the timing is retarded/late (exhaust valve is already open) such as 5-10 dgrees ATDC.   

If it cranks for a long time and you get an earth shattering backfire that wakes the dead's long lost relatives, then you are igniting fuel in your muffler because your timing is either 180-out or so far off that you're not even in the ballpark.  

Shoot for 10-12 degrees BTDC at idle.  There is still a possibility that your condenser has failed from a poor engine ground, but make sure your timing si right before you start throwing parts at it.  A bad condenser should still idle, it just won't run well.  

If it backfired out the carb, your timing is too far advanced (intake valve is still open) such as 30 BTDC at idle.

If it backfired out the exhaust the timing is retarded/late (exhaust valve is already open) such as 5-10 dgrees ATDC.

If it cranks for a long time and you get an earth shattering backfire that wakes the dead's long lost relatives, then you are igniting fuel in your muffler because your timing is either 180-out or so far off that you're not even in the ballpark.

Shoot for 10-12 degrees BTDC at idle. There is still a possibility that your condenser has failed from a poor engine ground, but make sure your timing si right before you start throwing parts at it. A bad condenser should still idle, it just won't run well.

I've also got no suction to my carb!

20160408_180848_zpsowhijpc9.jpg

Wire it this way.

Ignition timing is in no way related to cam and valve timing. We're talking ignition timing for now. If backfiring out the exhaust turn the distributor clockwise slightly this will advance the timing.

If you want to check the cam timing, set to TDC and take the valve cover off. Make sure you bring the crank up to TDC moving only in a clockwise direction. If you over shoot the mark back up at least a 1/4 turn and do it over... as many times as needed to get it right. Clockwise to TDC and... stop. This is what you should see...

motorLcamtiming.jpg

Ignore the number 1. Your L20B should be on the number 2 position BUT the big thing to expect is the notch in the back of the sprocket must be below that horizontal mark and just to the right.This cam is timed perfectly.

20160408_180848_zpsowhijpc9.jpg

Wire it this way.

Ignition timing is in no way related to cam and valve timing. We're talking ignition timing for now. If backfiring out the exhaust turn the distributor clockwise slightly this will advance the timing.

If you want to check the cam timing, set to TDC and take the valve cover off. Make sure you bring the crank up to TDC moving only in a clockwise direction. If you over shoot the mark back up at least a 1/4 turn and do it over... as many times as needed to get it right. Clockwise to TDC and... stop. This is what you should see...

motorLcamtiming.jpg

Ignore the number 1. Your L20B should be on the number 2 position BUT the big thing to expect is the notch in the back of the sprocket must be below that horizontal mark and just to the right.This cam is timed perfectly.

I would check the cam timing like that bit I have a completely different sprocket!

I had the motor apart and when it got timed I had the #1 piston at tdc I also had the cam at tdc, I then lined up the marks on the chain with the dot on the front of the crank and the 2 on the cam! I honestly don't know what to do.

wiring look right just turn the dist one way and see if start then try it the other way and see if start. then find the middle

I persoanlly would turn the dist 180 deg on the front cover so the vacuum adv is on the other side. and redo the wires.

Dude this is simple

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

do above 1st

Also Make sure the wiring is correct!!!!!!!!!!!! As the Hot start wire gets volts to the coil.

get a battery hold down

I dodnt see mention the timming cgain was done from the 1st post So I assume it was already running so the timming chain is good. Im doing alot of assuming