I just remembered why I don't come to Ratsun anymore... the classifieds stink!

Yeah, I've been off awhile, yeah this has been discussed to death, yeah yeah, I'm out of the loop.... Blah blah.

But, I logged in a couple times this week and kept asking myself... " What the hell is missing on this website these days....? "  I used to come here daily for teh classifieds but now they are not even a shell of what they once were. So sad because the marketplace is what any forum thrives on in my opinion. Now it's ton's of " WANTED" ads and barely anything for sale. What is the incentive to post FOR SALE items in such a sluggish classifieds section? Haven't the higher ups noticed the lack of activity here?

Anyone listening?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that buying and selling old and new parts is vital for any vintage car forum. Let me give you an example of how the old classifieds went...

For sale VG30i engine $2,200, running, from '88 WD21 Pathfinder, 88K miles, with 5 speed.

Reply Posts...

WTF? I sold three for $800 each and have 2 left.

Not worth the price.

GLWS

Can't see the oics.

Not worth $2,200 only a dick would want that much...GLWS

The VG engine is a POS. GLWS

I'll give you 1,200 for it.

GLWS

GLWS

I'll sell you one of the 2 I have for that!

Oics or it didn't happen.

Will you take $500 for it?

GLWS

GLWS

GLWS etc....

Who would want to post a for sale ad when they have to put up with flaming shit abuse like that???? The seller was up against trolls, the bored and tourists... basically everyone who had no intention of buying. So if you posted one of those replies to a for sale ad and miss the old classifieds.... you have no one to blame for the change but yourself. It was changed to make it easier to use and manage.

The classifieds don't stink, they just don't have what you want.

• Like 6

Yeah, I've been off awhile, yeah this has been discussed to death, yeah yeah, I'm out of the loop.... Blah blah.

But, I logged in a couple times this week and kept asking myself... " What the hell is missing on this website these days....? "  I used to come here daily for teh classifieds but now they are not even a shell of what they once were. So sad because the marketplace is what any forum thrives on in my opinion. Now it's ton's of " WANTED" ads and barely anything for sale. What is the incentive to post FOR SALE items in such a sluggish classifieds section? Haven't the higher ups noticed the lack of activity here?

Anyone listening?

Perhaps you're not considering that ads disappear when items sell, and old stale ads also are automatically removed.  There is traffic, you're just not seeing it.  Everything I've listed has sold...

• Like 3

I agree with you about the younger guys on here ... I saw this guy post an ad about finding lug nuts once ,, (through the new want ads i might add) .. So i sent that member a link to Gorrilla lugnuts website in order to help the guy and do you know what??  That self-entitled little prick didn't even have the courtesy to even send a simple  " i will check it out"  or a god damn thing...........  Hmmm

im not Here as much either , and I agree with the observation ... My opinion is that the Older generation of datsun enthusiasts are no longer on this forum, and the younger generation is , thats why its difficult ... 

• Like 2

I remember this response from you back when this all went down Mike. But I feel like there was generally more pros than cons to it. Just my opinion. The idiots would uusually get blocked or ignored anyways. I'm sure this is a hell of alot better for the admins though!

I was a lot nicer back then trying to answer all the grievances. Since then I see it was mostly the trolls and those seeking social entertainment that were complaining. Greasing the skids to a flame war with the seller or others that were like minded. Most posters in a sellers ad were not buying at all, just there wasting time. The biggest complainers about the new classifieds were those that saw their socializing cut off.

I agree that buying and selling old and new parts is vital for any vintage car forum. Let me give you an example of how the old classifieds went...

For sale VG30i engine $2,200, running, from '88 WD21 Pathfinder, 88K miles, with 5 speed.

Reply Posts...

WTF? I sold three for $800 each and have 2 left.

Not worth the price.

GLWS

Can't see the oics.

Not worth $2,200 only a dick would want that much...GLWS

The VG engine is a POS. GLWS

I'll give you 1,200 for it.

GLWS

GLWS

I'll sell you one of the 2 I have for that!

Oics or it didn't happen.

Will you take $500 for it?

GLWS

GLWS

GLWS etc....

Who would want to post a for sale ad when they have to put up with flaming shit abuse like that???? The seller was up against trolls, the bored and tourists... basically everyone who had no intention of buying. So if you posted one of those replies to a for sale ad and miss the old classifieds.... you have no one to blame for the change but yourself. It was changed to make it easier to use and manage.

The classifieds don't stink, they just don't have what you want.

I completely agree with Mike; the Old classifieds were the best.

• Like 4

I miss the history of items for sale. I miss being able to search the classifieds through google. I miss the classifieds being one with the forum and not on a different page. Or never seeing that an item was sold and email a guy about an item 2 years later and being able to buy said item. The classifieds had too trolls at the same time the forum had too many trolls. All in all its just easier to use facebook to buy things, seems like all the "old" guys are there.

It would have better to just turn the discussion off on for sale items, but not wanted items. The wanted section had a wealth of information of all sorts of things like part numbers and where to buy things.

• Like 5

I miss the history of items for sale. I miss being able to search the classifieds through google. I miss the classifieds being one with the forum and not on a different page. Or never seeing that an item was sold and email a guy about an item 2 years later and being able to buy said item. The classifieds had too trolls at the same time the forum had too many trolls. All in all its just easier to use facebook to buy things, seems like all the "old" guys are there.

It would have better to just turn the discussion off on for sale items, but not wanted items. The wanted section had a wealth of information of all sorts of things like part numbers and where to buy things.

Nailed it. Thank you. I bought some pretty hard to find stuff in ancient threads.

• Like 2