Need A Power Plant Help

B2Fresh

I'm considering doing a power plant swap on my 78 B210.. I need to see what my options are as to see what would be a good candidate for my ride. Being that it's a 78 so I need to keep it smog legal but I want the power.. Also I would like to see if there's an option in a turbo power plant.?

Keep in mind this is all new to me..

Thanks in advance..

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems there is an exception for every rule and lots of info and bad info. Sad to get it done and it not even be close to legal. If it needs to pass smog then go to the testing center and get info there. Bureau of Auto Repair . Even then, the guy who inspects may get picky about something and fail you.

Generally only identical same year engines may be used to replace yours. Can't use any older engine.

If a newer engine, it must be complete with ALL emissions equipment and pass the same emissions test as the car it was out of.

I was talking to the smog tech when I took the wife's car to get tested.

And he gave me good info about the power plant change and offered to inspect it before taking it to the referee to make sure everything was in order before the inspection.

The guy was pretty helpful I may say..

Yes he did mention about having the complete wiring, computer and all components even the way to exhaust system.

But my question was what power plant "Engine" should I go with if I were to do the change.?

Anything that can physically fit your car as long as it complies with the emissions is fair game. But better to just get another Nissan engine. In ascending order an L20B is easy and you get about 15-20 more hp. A KA24E or KA24DE is the first EFI engine @ 2.4 liter about 140 hp. Technically way more difficult would be a V6 VG30E about the same power (160 hp) as the KAs but with more torque.

What about the SR20 or CA18DET.??

These two engines were never offered here so there are no emission standards for them.

If really serious, convert legally to a KA24DE and get an inspection pass. Then get an SR20 and swap it in. If caught or due for an inspection swap the DE back in every time. Be warned it's illegal.

Alternatively the KA has lots of turbo support. But again you would need to remove everything for the inspection every 2? years??

Realistically I think a KA will haul your ass quite well in a 2,000? pound car.

The short answer is: This is why you buy a '75 or older vehicle in CA, and why '76 and newer vehicles aren't worth nearly as much. I would agree that a ka24de would be your best bet if you decide to go through with it, but I would suggest selling the car while it's a runner and get something older.

Pre '75 only means you are not emissions tested. Period. Having a '74 or older does not mean you can install any engine with any speed equipment you want.

It should also be noted that pre '75 must still have all factory emissions equipment on even if not tested. Technically a weber carb might be disallowed. Cops don't know what's on a '74 or earlier and could send you to inspection. (unlikely, but...) The Best thing is never give them a chance to be pissed off at you.

If caught with another engine other than that installed that year by factory, lets say a D21 KA24DE, it must pass a visual inspection for the year of D21 it came out of even if not tested. Again the cop may not know enough to ok it and may cite you. In which case you need an inspection to void the ticket. If you replaced the TBI with a carb or installed obvious things like a boost controller or air/fuel ratio gauge you will be sent to the ref at BAR for inspection. AGAIN don't give any cop reason to look by being pissed off because you are an idiot.

I do a lot of engine swaps here in my shop and most of them are smog legal.

One piece of advice I give to someone who is serious about doing an engine swap: buy a complete donor car. It will provide you with all the parts needed to make a legal swap. You can nickel and dime yourself to death on the small parts, not to mention the serious headache of sourcing them. And at the end of it all, once the car has passed the ref, you can sell off the rest of the parts.

If done this way, and you make a smart, informed purchase, you can do a swap for pennies on the dollar. On the last swap I did here, I sold off the engine and trans, etc that came out of the truck, plus the remaining parts from the donor truck and I was only into the project for $1500.

• Like 1

Well if it's about pennies for the dollar than my best bet would stick with what I have (stock engine) and if it ain't broke why mess with it. I'll just wait till the motor blows up and then I can do the engine swap then..

Thanks guys for all your input..

Pre '75 only means you are not emissions tested. Period. Having a '74 or older does not mean you can install any engine with any speed equipment you want.

It should also be noted that pre '75 must still have all factory emissions equipment on even if not tested. Technically a weber carb might be disallowed. Cops don't know what's on a '74 or earlier and could send you to inspection. (unlikely, but...) The Best thing is never give them a chance to be pissed off at you.

If caught with another engine other than that installed that year by factory, lets say a D21 KA24DE, it must pass a visual inspection for the year of D21 it came out of even if not tested. Again the cop may not know enough to ok it and may cite you. In which case you need an inspection to void the ticket. If you replaced the TBI with a carb or installed obvious things like a boost controller or air/fuel ratio gauge you will be sent to the ref at BAR for inspection. AGAIN don't give any cop reason to look by being pissed off because you are an idiot.

All true expose of the idioticy of the California smog rules!  Years ago I brought my 1970 Buick Electra LTD, California built and certified, for the inspection.  FAILED! Why? No visible smog device installed.  I appealed, the vehicle was a California assembled unit, had the "Pink pages" in the driver's handbook that enumerated the California compliant intake manifold that complied with California smog requirements and had the proper intake manifold part number!  "Who cares" was the DS reply, we need visual proof!  So I went out, bought the cheapest crap add on retard spark required required add on smog device,].  Note, installed did not require "and hooked up"!  I returned to the smog station all cables neatly tied off and not connected, pointed out the the visual verification of installation, not connection, was all that was required, passed the lump on the fender visual and drove off with a fully certified smog passed vehicle.  The moral is that if you pin down just what the inspector idiot objects to, you can work around his/her/it's idiocicy and screw the system!

Warning! With Tongue in Cheek!  The Pacific Gas and Electric would very much have you buy their Power Plant in Redondo Beach CA!  It has a very desirable beach front property!  You would have to demolish the smoke stacks and power plant structures [used in many disaster movies], but I am sure your vehicle would find enough acreage to park within stroll distance of the beach,  Downside, pissed off trogdolite neighbors that want to convert this prime real estate property [at no expense to them] into a park and don't know the value of the Dollar or beach front property.

• Like 1

I'd rather have the San Onofre power plant. At least that one comes with nipples.

And if the contracting officer had any balls, and enforced the contract requirements against the Japanese steam generator supplier, would still be an efficient contributer to the No CO2 emissions goal!  Storage of the waste rods is another question!  The French and Japanese have the answer,  Breeder Reactors that can either breed "down" and reduce the radiactive residue, "Breed Neutral" reactors that produce as much recycable reactor fuel as was originally fueled in the host reactor, or "breed up" e,g, Plutonium based fuel for the next generation of power plants [Or just in case North Korea goes really crazy].  You would be surprised at just how much reprocessed Plutonium Japan does currently possess.  Japan may not be solely obsessed with oil shipments through the Straits of Malaca as with the shipments of reprocessed Plutonium waste reactor fuel.  By the way, the domestic Japanese breeder reactor startup renewal petition is in current review by the Japanese domestic review board.  See  JNN International web site for on going discussions, you won't see the details on local USA news networks!