Roof Rack. Rat Stile

521Lvr

many of you know that I use my 521 every day for work. It seems I never have enough room to haul all my tools and materials.

SOOO.. I made a roof rack. Rat stile. It is all 1/2" solid smooth bar. $30 in materials and a couple hours work.

What do you all think?

10-10-08_2017.jpg

10-10-08_2016.jpg

10-10-08_2019.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. I thought you might like it.

To make the radius. Mark center on the rod and make sure the rod is a bit longer than you need so you can trim the ends after it's bent. I used 2 cinder blocks holding each end up. step Lightly in the center and work your way to the ends. Repeat till you get what you want.

Clamps are pretty easy. Small bit of angle iron, cut 1 side to fit under the gutter, drill the hole. weld on a nut.

I made both my sides first, bolted them on and then made the basket.

Weight?? You don't think I'm gonna haul anything on it, Do Ya?

Can't tell you how much for sure but my buddy stood on it the same way and it never even moaned. He's a 320 pounder! I think the truck could be hung from it.

Enjoy.

10-11-08_1651.jpg

10-11-08_1652.jpg

10-11-08_1653.jpg

I can mak them all day long... Bet shipping would be a bitch. Specially to the West coast. Not heavy, just big.

I went to a VW show and I got the idea from a dude that sold them for VW Bus. He was getting $150-$200 for them. I think mine is a bit stouter.? I think he was using 3/8 bar.? Might be wrong. Mine is 1/2"

Maybe Rubberman can measure his bus rack to see?

OK.. So I have had 10+ pm's about making these racks.

I decided that if I get at least 5 people that want 1 and make a deposite I will do it.

Price for the rack is $150. Shipping will be 40-50. So expect to pay $200 to the door.

I will test fit them on my 521 first. And they will be bare steel. That means you will have to paint it or let it Patina. Your choice.

Reply to this thread if you want 1. When I get 5 Real takers I will take deposites and start production.

peace

tc

I can mak them all day long... Bet shipping would be a bitch. Specially to the West coast. Not heavy, just big.

I went to a VW show and I got the idea from a dude that sold them for VW Bus. He was getting $150-$200 for them. I think mine is a bit stouter.? I think he was using 3/8 bar.? Might be wrong. Mine is 1/2"

Maybe Rubberman can measure his bus rack to see?

Yep, that guy was using 3/8, it's sturdy, but yours would be alot better. I paid $200.00 for the one at the vw show. It was well worth the money, because originals for the bus are any where from $500.00 to $700.00. I don't think shipping out west would be that bad. Another reason I bought the one for my bus, was that I was going to go by his and make some for vw buses.