step 1: remove engine

I'm hopefully going to start an engine rebuild in the next week or so with my dad. I've never done this before and we don't have the right equipment. Before I can even order parts or anything we have to get the engine out of the truck, but we don't have an engine hoist.

Assuming we can find a good place in the garage to tie a rope/chain to, what's a good (easy?) way of facilitating it out of the truck (i.e. getting the right tilt, lift, etc.) We'll have to buy something, cause we don't even have any pulleys. I know most of you are as cheap as I am out there, and a hell of a lot more ingenious, so let's hear how it's been done!

Since we're probably going to be doing a total overhaul, getting one of those nifty rotatable engine stands seems fairly necessary. Are they worth it? Does harbor freight carry them or should I just get one at SEARS? And how heavy is an L20b?

btw, anyone in LB Cali have a hoist we can borrow? :D

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man if i was closer to Olympia I would bring up my hoist and help ya. I pulled my engine out of my 85 720 and replaced it due to some cracks in the block and it took a day to pull. Those engine stands are very nifty and are good for putting on parts on the lower end of an engine. The best way I have found to get an engine out is a hoist and someone who knew what they were doing. Like I said, if I was closer to Olympia, I would.

Thanks man, but the truck is actually in Long Beach, Cali and I'm going to be flying down there to work on it (can't even bring my own tools:().

I forgot to mention it's coming out of a 620 too.

You can rent an engine hoist from any rental yard for like 20-30 bucks. I would rent one of them. It will make the job way easier and you won't have to put a new roof on your pops garage. :lol:

either rent or buy a hoist. i ahve used mine about 3 times in the 4 years i have had it. but it will be used many more times in its life. also get a load leveler. that wya you can adjust the angle if need be. also take the hood off to give you room. mark the hood and hinges where the bolts go so you dont have to screw around with trying to get the hood aligned right.

come on cali boys help out a fellow ratsun guy get this thing running like he could ever dream i know u guy now your shit if i was in the area i would hook u up

to me thats what it all about getting a guy going shit ask fish i bet that tranny is still going lol

here are 2 pics of the beams i use. the car port one is a 4x10 and the garage is a 4x12 or actually its 2 2x12's put together. i've never used an engine hoist so if you have a stout beam in your garage or car port then you can buy a come-along. they come in cable style or the more expensive. all you have to do is wrap some chain or even 1/4 inch nylon rope wrapped around around the beam 5 times. nothing special needed.

one advantage of using the beam come-along method is you dont have to take apart a big hoist and find space to store it

one disadvantage is you cant pull a engine out of the junk yard with this method.

if it's your dad's garage and he's game, dont be afraid to try it. most of the young people may tell you not to try this because they haven't done it before but let me tell you the old timers know how to do shit. no offense peeps those are just the facts. also they dont build houses and garages like they used to so if it's a newer pre-fab style home you'll want to look carefully at your beams.

look at this car port. 3 years ago i pulled a 3.8 liter ford taurus engine with the tranny and i lifted the whole damn front of the car with it. most recently i pulled out a honda cb650 motorcycle out of the back of my 521. that was fun just lifted it with some rope and pulled my truck forward and then set the bike down. 3 months ago i pulled my l16 with trans and installed anther one. i find it easier to pull both engine and trans at the same time.

i do all my pulling outside under the car port now.

66datsungrill.jpg

re100_1433.jpg

100_1431.jpg

I did this last week with Atom Church. I agree, Get a hoist and pull the engine and tranny together! You will be much happier.

Also check out my thread on replacing piston rings, it might give you an idea of what other things you will need. AND...if you have a high speed connection, check out hainz's video. :D

• 3 weeks later...