I'm having a mid-life crisis. So what do you do when that happens?

Well, you buy your first non-Datsun in a looooong time. :)  It called out to me.  1964/65 MG Midget

mg1_zpsyhnfw7us.jpg

trailer2_zpszevuxoxu.jpg

trailer2_zpszevuxoxu.jpg

It does have the front wings and bonnet, just didn't get to picking them up yet.  Going to make a few more parts runs to the guy's place.  

• Like 3
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A15 to start perhaps, maybe an L.  A15 is a lot easier to fit.  OR, maybe a Hayabusa motor. ;)  I don't know.  It's going to sit for a bit now, not in a hurry to work on it.  It will provide the motivation to clean out the back side of my garage so it can fit inside this winter.  Then again, might just tarp it.  I don't know.  Oh, and all the pieces are there, they're just disassembled. 

"It does have the front wings and bonnet...". You are already getting the lingo down. Now you need a set of spanners to carry in the boot! I recently ran across a YouTube interview with Patrick McGoohan on his series "The Prisoner", so my current dream car is a Lotus 7. Hence I support your buying a Brit car, even if it isn't quite a Lotus. Thumbs up from me (for what that is worth)! :lol:

Len

At the end of high school my best friend at the time had a small job and bought a '62 or '64. (I can't remember) We went everywhere in it. Even road tripped to Boston once. It had roll up widows, the first year for them after the plastic slide ones. It also had the old 950cc?? engine instead of the newer 1050cc. He always told the story how the larger engine and roll up windows happened at the same time but there were 50 made with roll ups and the old engine ... what ever. It was a fun car to drive and could do 60 at just over the 6K red line. It had insane handling compared to the cars at the time.

Haha, well everyone I've talked to says these cars are crap.  I've thought of a few ways to fix that.  For one, it won't have Lucas electrics, and two it won't have an MG motor. So that's two weak points gone.  However, the suspension still isn't the best.  I talked to the Datsun guru who owns quite a few MG and Austins and basically told me that I should do the A motor conversion and just drive it as is and enjoy it or sell it.

Naturally, I've ignored the practical advice and began thinking:  What hasn't been done to a Midget?  I've come up with a few ideas, mainly dropping the body on a different chassis.  The first one is a Midget chassis, but they're $2400 new (circle track midget).  Look to be the right dimensions roughly.  The other thought.  How about a 620 frame?  Might still be too wide, definitely too long but we can fix that easily.  Anyway, those are the thoughts so far.

Throw out your hair-brained ideas!  This is either going to be a fun car to drive in near stock form, or it's going to be a "probably not executed quite as well as project Binky" disaster.  Time will tell!

http://www.xxxraceco.com/midget%20chassis.htm

Ooo!  Only $1800!  :D  Still needs to be cheaper.  Perhaps I could make or buy a wrecked one.

I just went and measured, wheelbase is about 80 inches, width is around 52-53 inches, and track width is 46 inches.  Very small.  It appears the Midget race cars are 87 or 88 inch wheelbase if I'm reading the dimensions right.