My wife is turning my 620 into a garden!!!!

xirtam

https://www.flickr.com/gp/89683560@N08/F43BVx

So I am anxious to get my 620 running!

So far, no brakes at all. Pedal goes all the way down... Tried bleeding and sheared of bleeder valve :( Truck is original, btw. Motor runs rough. Anyways, I know that I can search for answers on the forum, but I figured that I would share some pics and introduce my new wheels.

• Like 3
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool!!!

You will find all new brake parts very inexpensive and readily available at rock auto.  I'd start by replacing everything with rubber parts involved and just get it all over with at once.  It may be a hassle, but safety first.   

Good idea, thanks! So I hear a lot about the disk brake conversion, but is it really worth it? Also I am very limited in funds. Can I find all of the rubber parts at Rock auto?

• Like 1

Welcome, nice looking 620. Looks to have lived a full life and is ready for the next chapter. 

Thanks! It belonged to my wife's cousin who is in his late eighties and mentally going downhill quickly. He gave it to me because I promised to take care of it and make it road worthy again.

• Like 1

I agree with Stoff. Nice starting place, cool truck. I believe that rig has finally earned a good owner.

That green is extra cute. My pumpkin colored 620 was the worst color, I think. I never grew to like that pumpkin color, even though that little 620 did a giant’s job for us. I’d kinda like to see it again, just to apologize... But green is nice.

Extra cool that you are on the hook to your wife’s cousin’ soon to be ghost. If you don’t live up to your promise, his spirit just may cut a brake line someday...  Just sayin’.

• Like 1

Hey, aren’t we helping enough with all of these slaps on the back? No, your karmic deal with cousin over there aint gonna rub off on me. But I do wish you well, and I believe that you will find the Ratsun Forum to be a cornucopia of good advice, spiced with some crazy ideas and flavored with those PosTits girls over there... All of this- and more- has been invaluable to me along my Nissan rehab trail.  Once you get it, you have to pass it on though. At least I think that’s the deal.

• Like 2

Good idea, thanks! So I hear a lot about the disk brake conversion, but is it really worth it? Also I am very limited in funds. Can I find all of the rubber parts at Rock auto?

If you price all the components to rebuild the drum brakes and all the components to swap to disc it is a wash. You will pay a bit more to get the brackets (a one time outlay) but your truck will stop in a straight line with less braking distance required. The disc brakes also require no adjustment, while the drum brakes will require adjustment at every oil change to keep them in optimal operation. To me it's a no-brainer to at least swap the fronts, if you swap the rears as well you will have a no maintenance system, other than pad replacement. 

Thanks! It belonged to my wife's cousin who is in his late eighties and mentally going downhill quickly. He gave it to me because I promised to take care of it and make it road worthy again.

Great story and family history :) 

• Like 1

I have a '58 VW Bug body that was a planter box while I was building the chassis. That was the only was I could keep it in the front yard without out getting find by the home owners assosiation. Lol. Good luck with the build.

That is priceless info!
  • Like 1

Hey, aren’t we helping enough with all of these slaps on the back? No, your karmic deal with cousin over there aint gonna rub off on me. But I do wish you well, and I believe that you will find the Ratsun Forum to be a cornucopia of good advice, spiced with some crazy ideas and flavored with those PosTits girls over there... All of this- and more- has been invaluable to me along my Nissan rehab trail.  Once you get it, you have to pass it on though. At least I think that’s the deal.

Touche, touche :)

• Like 1

If you price all the components to rebuild the drum brakes and all the components to swap to disc it is a wash. You will pay a bit more to get the brackets (a one time outlay) but your truck will stop in a straight line with less braking distance required. The disc brakes also require no adjustment, while the drum brakes will require adjustment at every oil change to keep them in optimal operation. To me it's a no-brainer to at least swap the fronts, if you swap the rears as well you will have a no maintenance system, other than pad replacement. 

Great story and family history :)

I think that I will have to see if I can find the parts really cheap to do the disc conv. Thanks for the advice :)

• Like 1

Tell you wife it is better at hauling manure and potting soil!  LOL  Welcome, now get busy before your wife completely takes it over!  LOL

LOL, will do. She says it makes good yard art :)

• Like 1

I have a '58 VW Bug body that was a planter box while I was building the chassis. That was the only was I could keep it in the front yard without out getting find by the home owners assosiation. Lol. Good luck with the build.

Awesome!!! Thanks

• Like 1

Welcome to Ratsun! It's great that you are keeping her in the family, once you get her back on the road remember to take him for a ride!

Thanks for the welcome! Would love to take him on a ride, that would be cool for him. I live in Seattle and he is in Montana so I will have to make sure she is reliable for long distance drive.

• Like 1