• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatcat19

• VFR800

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

Top Posters In This Topic

I just redid the pictures, for some reason they got mixed up, the tan box is a portable 3 stage sluice box, the first layer traps the bigger gold, second traps smaller and third has a carpet that catches the very fine gold, it all folds up and fits inside for easy carry while hiking.

• Like 1

What are the legal limitations of where you can pan gold?

you can "pan" gold just about anywhere, its when you get into sluicing, highbanking and dredging, where you pave to pay attention to the laws, really really strict in CA, not so much any where else in the country.

Ya, here in Oregon every creek is fair game for prospecting/panning as long as its not claimed,including stretches of creek/rivers that run through private land, as far as the state of Oregon is concerned, all waterways are public land, private property begins in the vegetation outside river/creek bank, you can actually own a claim within someone's private property, and as long as you reach that claim via creek or river there's nothing that private property owner can do about it, my brother owns a claim in the Umpqua river, dredging laws are strict and seasonal but highbanking is year round as long it's not outside the creek or river shore line, so basically if the rivers are full you aren't allowed to "mine".

• Like 1

Not sure how it works but my folks have a stream that runs a crossed one side of their land in Eastern Oregon and someone else owns the mineral rights to it. It's pretty small so I don't know how you could do anything without being on vegetated land or how they would get to it. There are signs that some mining was done there long time a go.

so what you would look for is ancient creek/river bed on your property.  a step where 2000 years ago the creek used to run because the creek has moved, 

this is just an example 

ancient%20river%20channel.JPG

and this is pretty much what you look for...

smooth rock/compacted cobble stone

1401526782_31may_013-optimized.jpg

as far as the current stream, gold taken from someone else's claim/rights is not only dangerous if caught, but also highly illegal.  but if you are just taking shovels and panning for fun it probably wouldn't hurt

• Like 2

Not sure how it works but my folks have a stream that runs a crossed one side of their land in Eastern Oregon and someone else owns the mineral rights to it. It's pretty small so I don't know how you could do anything without being on vegetated land or how they would get to it. There are signs that some mining was done there long time a go.

Contact the BLM and talk to the division that deals with claims, you will need to know exact location on that creek, with that you can ask the status of that claim, often times people forget to renew their claims and they automatically lose it, it is possible it's available, in Oregon claims are renewed on a year to year basis, failure to do so you automatically forfeit all rights and someone else can file claim on it and take it, if there's signs of mining it may very well have gold, and gold is always on the move, my brother dredges gold from same areas every year, especially when we get tons of rain during winters.

If you don't see anyone around, grab a small shovel and a bucket, dig along the corners of the creek banks and pan for colors, also inspect all quartz rock you see, gold travels in quartz and is released as it is crushed by other rocks in the currents ;)

• Like 2

image_zpsdjmioxdf.jpeg

this was my last haul 3-4 hrs of dig/sluice time  feather river california

You need to make a blue bowl to separate that black sand, the one I made cost me less than $10, I paid $15 for the pump :)

Fun hobby, but I don't think you'll get rich off it.  ;)

It's not about getting rich :)

Let's go prospecting some time.

My setup current consists of a pair of legs, and a pair or arms. Hasn't yielded me anything yet.

I know places that would make your panties drop.

If you guys want to go where the gold isn't fine sub atomic sizes let me know.

• Like 2

i will as soon as i move up there, 

and while you may not strike it rich matt, there's a guy that i met that makes about a pound each year, just by going on the weekends for 6-8 hrs a day.

gold is weighed in troy oz i believe so about 30g to an ounce and lets say $1200 to an oz 

thats just under 20k tax free a year for weekend warriors.

plus KOH. is right it not about the money for most ...  but i ask you have you ever "found" raw gold?

• Like 1