Coco's New 72' 510 -- I Got Ripped Off

Alright guys so I've been a member for a few years I'm guessing and I made this account with the intentions to finally post about my Datsun 510 whenever I would have owned one. Finally being out of High School and now in College, there's like hardly any time for me to work.. especially since I'm in a Community College, I need to work my ass off to transfer out to a 4 year. 

Anyways, I ended up selling my Daily Driver and I got 4500 and with 500 saved I had 5000 dollars. Me being so antsy to get a 510, I ended up getting a 1972 510 Coupe. It has a 12A Rotary w/ 5spd. It runs and drives. I ended up paying the full $5000 which was foolish of me because I didn't know what I bought. As I posted on to the facebook forums, they informed me that the car was full of bondo. I tried to sell it to at least make my money back but that will not happen. Anyways, I'm determined to fix this car up; since it drives I don't mind driving with it looking all beat because to me Datsun's are all gems, especially a Dime. :) 

So, if anyone can give me some help that would be great. Currently my dad would be mad at me since he is at a business trip, but he would be mad at me for making this buy, but im sure he would also help since he owned a 510 in the 80s.

But if anyone would like to provide some help that would be great! :) 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

don't touch the sides of the car .. at least not right away

It could look nice again, with a stock front valence and a stock looking rear tailight panel. If you start stripping the sides you will be in for a giant restoration/paint project. A black valence and black tail panel would look good with the silver paint.

• Like 2

Yeah, don't bite off more than you can chew, especially if you have empty pockets. I made that mistake one time.. still haven't driven the car in years because I set out to make it "just right".. later I found out that no body or paint guys near me are worth their salt, and I'm no body guy myself.

I know this may sound bad, but don't start anything that you don't have the means to finish, work on sections, do not go all out, do the front then the back, start a section and finish it, then move to another section, I wish I could take my own advise. :lol:

Basically you don't want to get to a point that it looks like so much work, or you will think, "how do I fix that" , and then stop working on that section and tear apart another one because you cannot fix what you just uncovered, that will be the demise of the vehicle, finish what you started before moving to another.

Sometimes you may have to live with what you have for now, add more bondo to make it look decent, and then drive it till you know what to do, then dig in.

• Like 1

Man, I feel sorry for your asshole bro, you got dry raped. Thing is, Datsun 510s are fairly boxy and are a good car to learn body work on. Get a cheap hammer and dolly set and some filler and pick one corner, knock off the filler and bring the body as close as you can back to straight, use the dolly on the outside and go gently with the hammer from the inside. The thinner you can go with filler, the better. Sand it down to a fine grit and prime it, sand it, prime, and so on till you can't tell it's there. It's time consuming and not fun but you can make that shitbox look decent with time and a bit of love. The real problem I see is the bastardized rotary swap, I hate that shit, but that's just me. Don't give up and keep the faith and one day you'll either have a decent car or at least be able to get some scrilla back out of it.

anyone know how i can fix my locks? they are there but it doesnt want to lock.

also, the battery seems to die alot in my car. should i relocate to the back and put a proper battery mount?

You do realize the door needs to be fully closed to lock, correct? You have much more worries besides moving the battery.