No battery light, no charge, no fun

TasoZ24

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No light and my fuse box only has the bottom prong which is the yel/red wire. Stilll dont see how this happened, electronics went out then lights now alternator not doing anything. Im getting voltage at t plug but none once wire is in the cab. Lamp is coming staight from battery and sense goes to relay light and fusebox. Got volts at fusebox.seems like voltage is trying to get through, getting .01-.04 volts

• Like 1

Calling all wire wizards,

My 83 720 kc 2wd has not been charging for a month now. The wiring is finally right after many diagrams and brass splinters. However, now im getting only 8.4 volts in the lamp wire that goes from the alternator t plug with key on. Im getting battery at ignition and meter/flasher fuse. Looking for bad wires but harness is still intact (only place on truck it is)

• Like 1

Nope just two wheel drive. About done with this stupid light. Got battery voltage up to weird film on back of cluster but no illumination. Trying all different bulbs that are left. Do any other bulbs have to be in place to complete circuit? Down to six bulbs

• Like 1

Geez, just remove the fusible links from the battery, unplug them from the harness and check them, it will take 5 minutes.

The 720 harness is a weird animal, it has multiple places it gets power from thru the same wires, it kinda back feeds from other circuits, and low voltage can be one of the issues, you see when the engine is running, everything seems to work, but when it is shut off, nothing works right anymore.

A good example of this would be the fact that the ignition light has something to do with the auto choke, why the ignition light would be connected to the auto choke is baffling to me, but it is.

You can likely test the fusible links without totally removing them from the battery, but you have to unplug them from the wiring harness, they have to be removed from the wiring harness system.

See the plug with the green and black wires connected to the battery in the photo below, if you look real close, you can see the black plug has melted a little, that plug and them fusible links can be a major pain sometimes, I have had to lift the hood and wiggle that plug in the past to get everything working.

I forgot to post the photo.  facepalm-smiley-face-815.gif

DSCN0080.JPG

• Like 1

The coil fuse was barley in tact. Changed that got voltage. Went through and got everything replaced and run new wire straight to battery. Works great. Dont know where wires go but I just nutted them off, everything runs and have proper voltage. Got this truck for dirt cheap because kid couldnt keep his amp for stereo going without problems. Truck Norris runs better than ever now. Thanks for all the concern guys, sorry to drag yall into this :-)

• Like 1

Got if figured out just finally had enough with the harness and wired it up with new wires and it works just fine. Got all my volts and can finally sleep at night. Thanks C

Congratulations on making a difficult problem go away!  Just make sure that you document the wire gauge and color coding of the new wires in case some "Gremlins" pop up later.

• Like 1

Calling all wire wizards,

My 83 720 kc 2wd has not been charging for a month now. The wiring is finally right after many diagrams and brass splinters. However, now im getting only 8.4 volts in the lamp wire that goes from the alternator t plug with key on. Im getting battery at ignition and meter/flasher fuse. Looking for bad wires but harness is still intact (only place on truck it is)

You have started a second post about the same thing. Rather than wasting time on duplicate answers, I merged them together. Until you fix this, everything related to your charging system should stay HERE.

• Like 1